Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunlight on the BLM movement: Where it gets its power and reasoning/rationale....

Here is a video of Heather MacDonald shining light on the BLM movement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67Fr-xKukco
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Sunlight on the BLM movement: Where it gets its power and reasoning/rationale....

^^^ Excellent speech.

Ms. MacDonald aughta visit the White House.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-12-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    The other side doesn't seem saddled with such thing as facts and being careful. Going off of everyone interviewed on the news I've ever seen from the movement anarchy, chaos, and murder seem to be their deep desires.

I know nothing more of their organization, and I sure as hell don't intend to. Between their member's vitriol, lack of respect, and deep support of extremely violent felons, they are a cancer as far as I care.
    I don't put TOO MUCH credibility with who THE MEDIA *CHOOSES* to interview.

That said, I know the leadership of that organization is shit.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    Thanks, Fixer. A few small notes.

I'm going to respectfully push back on the logic here. Caring about one thing doesn't mean hating everything else. I think puppies matter. That doesn't mean I therefore think kittens don't matter. I like coffee. That doesn't mean I therefore hate water.
    Thanks for the discussion.

I see the hard logic based on your example more along the lines of Dasani water matters more than Aquafina. Folgers vs Starbucks.

I see it more along the lines of a continuum versus a binary love-hate viewpoint.

Do some BLM folks literally hate white people and institutions like the police? Sure.

But most are solidified in what I mentioned above--a specific segment of the US population have a special grievance that matters more than anyone else's (grievances). Said another way--black lives matter.

This is the root of the arbitrariness of social justice and why it is a danger if we allow it to influence formal policy. This is why I have a huge problem with social justice movements.

Thanks for this link. Because the "TruthRevolt" website produced several shady-looking pop-up ads and opened new windows and ultimately caused me to have to restart my computer, on the second try I went to the Breitbart link instead. Looks like the video has been removed (thank goodness). But assuming Breitbart's summary is accurate, I didn't see anything in it about BLM as a whole officially declaring that all white police should be eliminated. It sounds more like one rogue racist douchebag (sadly, there are several of those at all points of the political spectrum). To ascribe this person's disgusting bigotry to BLM as a whole would be kind of like me blaming the entire Trump campaign because
    I understand the guilty by association point here. I also understand the concern over the source. This was a quick search for a BLM leader calling for violence against police or white people.

However, even if I had a personal recording of the BLM leader inciting folks into violent action, the same argument could be used: 'its just one of x" and doesn't reflect on the whole movement.

I don't have the time to create peer-reviewed journal quality case against BLM. No one really does (and if someone does, could such things really be tabulated and documented? Is it really logically possible?)

If this is the standard for proof then the discussion is going to be nullified for years as someone tries.

This will never happen. Academia will not touch the subject. And as far as media sources go, even the mainstream media is highly suspect.

What is left is inference from BLM's own statements. http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

Even a casual glance at their mission statements show 1) some confused and contradictory goals and 2) obsession with race and 3) a general goal of disruption of institutions

Although there is scant reference to peaceful interactions ("with each other") the actual result of their actions are obviously falling short of peaceful.

The mission statement for 'restorative justice' indicates that justice for blacks will proceed through a 'struggle' and then allow for justice for a larger group. Black lives first, then all the others. If this doesn't indicate outright racism, I don't know what will. If this doesn't show the indifference towards other racial groups, then I don't know what will.

It is a time tested tactic for the left to confound the term 'struggle (or direct action) with 'peaceful revolution' to the point where one can't tell except from the outcome of protests whether violence is a real ingredient or not.

When BLM memorializes and canonizes Michael Brown and his actions against Officer Wilson, I have seen and heard all I need to draw my own conclusions--especially in reference to their mission statements.

I wasn't born yesterday. This is a highly corrosive and cancerous movement grounded in a race obsession and a hopelessly confused conclusion about police violence.
    Last edited by fixer; 07-13-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I have seen and heard all I need to draw my own conclusions...
    Got it. In that case, I suppose I'll say no more. But thanks for the civil discussion. I wish there were more of it. Especially the whole "civil" bit.

P.S. Neither was I (born yesterday).
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Site Supporter

Sunlight on the BLM movement: Where it gets its power and reasoning/rationale....

Since BLM is so fixated on the relatively tiny number of LE shootings to the near total exclusion of "black on black" crime, which obviously causes overwhelmingly greater numbers of death and misery, it seems to me that BLM is simply the result of human nature, whereby people vastly prefer suffering inflicted by their own kind, to suffering inflicted by those perceived as "others," even when the suffering inflicted by their own kind is actually much worse.

I believe that leftism exploits this unfortunate flaw in human nature, and that this exploitation is itself fundamentally racist.
    Last edited by nalesq; 07-13-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw the same piece of footage on Fox or CNN, but don't recall the background. I was trying to figure out the skinny white dude, who is this guy: http://revjeffhood.com/
    Yup, that's the SWD. On TV his beard looks like his momma had sex with a mangy stray alley cat for his baby daddy. I'll see if I can find video.

ETA video: couldn't find the whole interview but 07-14 secs. in the Kelly File clip below had the interview previously referenced.

[/QUOTE]

https://youtu.be/eZbKQzHlHNE
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-13-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add video/link
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    BLM is clearly a creature of the political left, whether or not many of the people involved in the actual protests have any idea of what that means. As I stated in the Harvard Economist thread, there is a great deal of emotional manipulation going on in this movement, resulting in psychological transference. The righteous rage and grief over the out-of-control murder rates in inner city black neighborhoods is being emotionally conflated with police shootings. I've witnessed this first hand at BLM rallies, where many of the "honored guests" and speakers are mothers who have lost their children to criminal violence. Their grief and loss gets attached to "the movement". Classic leftist misdrection. Throw in the publicly acknowledged political affiliations of the movements "leaders" and their funding sources, and it's clear what's going on. But I don't think the sole goal of those behind this movement is to drum up "black nationalism" or win political concessions for black communities. I think the goal is to divide us further, and to drum up racial resentment among whites as well. BLM is not a "photogenic" or sympathetic movement to many Americans, and sadly I'm beginning to hear stirrings of racist sentiment among white folk that I haven't heard in over 25 years. Personally, I think that's the goal....the destruction of our common "american-ness"......to create a struggle of all against all.

Here's Why White People Need to Stop Saying All Lives Matter.
    ...the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: It's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    My problem with this thought pattern is the majority (but not all) of the "foundational events" if you will of the BLM movement are cases where the person in question earned exactly the treatment he got. So it isn't so much there is an implicit "too" at the end of the statement. Its that there is an implicit/implied statement of "if a bad person happens to be black, his life matters more than the good people of the world who happen to not be black". Even worse is the "hands up don't shoot" slogan. What that is really saying saying to me every time I hear it is "I can attack you, and pretend my hands are up, and you just have to take it". I think the BLM movement is doing more to set the black "cause" back and to increase racism on both sides, than anything else in the last 20 years. Which is a real shame. Because there are a ton of black kids in America who truly are starting off at a great disadvantage, due to a whole bunch of factors but including things like the behaviors they see that are treated as acceptable , and the lack of a strong family unit.

Edited to add: Tiffany, I would actually really value any other perspective you could bring to this. It would be great if you could comment.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-14-2016 at 07:05 PM.

User Tag List