Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Im thinking it would be better to save the money and just get the aimpoint pro. Use the saved money for ammo and a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I've narrowed it down to a few. If any of you want to take a look and add comments or thoughts I would really appreciate it.

16"
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...key=750-790-LW

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...50-790-BFH-ELW

14.5"

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=780-790

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...80-790-BFH-ELW

Only difference is the barrels and lengths. Having trouble deciding.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

FFG,

Spending $1400 (base price) on an AR for home defense is not something I would recommend to anyone I called a friend.

The same outfit (G&R) has Colt 6720s for $800.

Buying a boutique gun over a Colt is not what I would call a wise investment.

Besides for $600 difference, you can get about 2,000 rounds of training ammo

I would take the bone stock Colt 6720 and 2,000 rounds of ammo over the BCM every single time.

Purely my opinion. But an opinion of a guy who has spent a lot of time at defense manufacturers.. Stick with the Colt.

While i agree with LR, buy what you want dude. Either one will work and I promise you'll enjoy the rifle a lot more if you get the one you want. If money is not an issue, just make sure it's quality and after that, buy the one you like! Never owned one but always loved BCM. Id take one over a colt ANY day. Just "because" and yes, that is a good enough reason.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I've narrowed it down to a few. If any of you want to take a look and add comments or thoughts I would really appreciate it.

I would strongly urge you to go with a 16" barrel. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the very slight reduction in length is not worth the potential complications of the pinned muzzle device. (I say this as the owner of a pinned 14.5 KMR ELW-F)
    Other than that, I assume you've weighed all of the other options brought up earlier (6920, 6720 etc) and you've landed on the BCM. Once you've considered your options, I'm squarely in the "spend your money on whatever the hell you want" camp.

That being said, I have a very difficult time not nudging folks towards a Colt offering these days. Particularly with the OEM offerings, I just don't see a better deal out there for a "serious use" AR.

I recently purchased my first AR. I've been reading about these things for longer than I care to remember and finally treated myself for my birthday.

I kept it pretty simple, bought a mid length light weight hammer forged upper direct from Bravo as they had a promo on the BCG. The lower I bought from Rainier Arms as they had stock. I'd originally planned on buying the A5 lower that G and R offer but they were out of stock. A Magpul MOE SL hand guard, CTR stock, DD fixed rear sight, Fury P2X Tactical on an IWC SMC XL mount and VCAS sling round it out. I have an EOTech refund in the works and I am likely to use the funds to buy an Aimpoint PRO on a 1/3 lower witness mount. Having used the EOTech for a few years I like the larger window, I've never used a T1 and while it's the cool guy choice I think the larger tube and lower price make the PRO a better choice for me. I don't get why people buy the T series over the H, what am I missing? The lighter weight of the H or T versus the PRO and similar I get. Is the T series' only difference from the H it's NV compatibility? Aren't you better off using an IR laser with NV? Whatever it is, that's not me, I really don't need these features.

I was disappointed to learn the upper shipped with the triangular hand guard cap, I hadn't thought to check what the MOE SL needed or what the upper shipped with. I bought a round cap, spare FSB pins and crush washers from Bravo and a Schuster Mfg block to help me remove the FSB.

I really, really didn't want to have to do anything like assembly, I simply wanted to slap the upper on the lower and shoot! Anyway, I read BCM's post over at M4C.net on how to remove their FSB and it all went easily.

I wanted to keep the budget down and the mid length/MOE SL hand guard combo seemed the best way to allow me to learn to shoot with my support hand as far forward as possible. I don't know (or care) if the mid length shoots softer than the carbine, I have no frame of reference.

The IWC light mount sets the light too high when using the M-Lok slots and after talking with Earl at IWC I drilled two holes in the top of the hand guard and I'm now happy with where the light sits and my ability to keep my hand as far forward/thumb over the top and reach the light easily.

This being my first AR I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it it to manoeuvre a 16" rifle. The length is really no big deal and it not being pinned I was able to remove the muzzle device to swap out the hand guard cap with no dramas.

Yeah, sure I'd like a cool guy SBR with the latest rail but I do not need it. I do need training and to shoot the damn thing. Lots.

I hope my explaining the choices I made can help you. I am a noob but I'm looking forward to actually forming my own opinions from my experience rather than just reading other peoples.

Now the fun begins!

16"
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...key=750-790-LW

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...50-790-BFH-ELW

14.5"

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=780-790

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...80-790-BFH-ELW

I use the 14.5 version of what you have linked as a Patrol Rifle at work. I'm a LEO who manages and accompanies Canine officers on tracks of armed felons, so my carbine is set up around a particular need centered around light weight. My upper has the 14.5" ELW-f barrel with a 13" KMR rail. While I love this gun for what I use it for, if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 16" setup. If only to get away from having a pinned and welded comp, which drastically reduces your options if you want to try something else in the future as far as rails, ect.

The guns you linked are excellent options. If these guns are in your price range then I would also give a very hard look at the new Daniel Defense DDM4V7 lw. For a lot of reasons, I prefer M-Lok rail over Keymod. I've been using the original BCM KMR rails since they were first introduced. I'm not in a big hurry to sell off my KMR uppers. But I don't know that I'm in a big hurry to get another one either.

But keep in mind, for a home defense gun, you still need a white light, back up sights a sling and preferably a red dot sight. Plus you need ammo. A lot of ammo. You need to get some training and then practice the skills that you learned in training.

I'd rather see a guy who has received competent training and has practiced what he was taught, armed with a stock Colt 6920 then a guy with the latest setup and zero training.

I have a box full of stock furniture that I have acquired over the years from Colt 6920's. The concept of the OEM guns is brilliant for guy like me who replace the stock furniture with their personal preference. A colt 6920 OEM2 with the hand guard of your choice is a very cost effective setup. Even more cost effective is the Colt 6920 with the MagPul MOE Sl furniture on it.

If you still are looking at the BCM guns, then I'd look at the 16" ELW barreled gun with the 15" KMR rail personally. But if I really was looking hard at this BCM gun, I'd also look hard at the DD V7.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Due to current events, political uncertainty and other factors, I have been heavily considering an ar for home defense.
    Home defense? Suggestions would reasonably vary depending on where you live. A house on 40 acres surrounded by national forest lands would demand one sort of AR. A tract home on a small suburban lot would require quite another. You've been presented great advice regarding the "40 acre" house.

House clearing with a long arm is a tiring chore. A home on a small lot will be well served by a wieldy gun. I'd think seriously about one of those AR pistols, before possibly settling on a good 12 ga pump shotgun with the shortest legal barrel. This is just an opinion, but in a suburban environment shottys probably should be considered more than they are.

I just finished assembling this:

• Colt AR6720
    • Magpul SL stock, pistol grip, and HGs
    • Magpul M-LOK vert grip
    • Magpul rear MBUS
    • Magpul MS4 sling
    • Aimpoint Carbine Optic
    • IWC M-LOK QD sling mount
    • IWC M-LOK light mount
    • Surefire G2X Tactical light

Palmetto State Armory just ran a deal for the ACO, 12 PMAGs, and the MBUS for $399 shipped.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 08-06-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Home defense? Suggestions would reasonably vary depending on where you live. A house on 40 acres surrounded by national forest lands would demand one sort of AR. A tract home on a small suburban lot would require quite another. You've been presented great advice regarding the "40 acre" house.

House clearing with a long arm is a tiring chore. A home on a small lot will be well served by a wieldy gun. I'd think seriously about one of those AR pistols, before possibly settling on a good 12 ga pump shotgun with the shortest legal barrel. This is just an opinion, but in a suburban environment shottys probably should be considered more than they are.
    Shotguns are awesome, and have several things going for them. They are versatile: for someone on a very limited budget, a used pump shotgun and some type of used, concealable 9mm or .38 can take very good care of most needs without spending a ton of money. That shotgun can be pressed into service as a HD weapon (devastatingly effective in the right hands), serious bear defense, a bird and small game hunting tool, a shotgun game playing tool, and a big game gun at appropriate range and with appropriate loads.

But. They are not ideal for anything at all, except shooting birds and doing shotgun games. Even the shotgun games are probably more fun with a specialized tool designed to maximize the game.

They are beaten handily by the AR as HD weapons, whether urban or rural, and for a lot of reasons. The typical shotgun holds 4 rounds. This can be extended, but if you want more than 7, you have to accept a longer barrel - and without special paperwork, the minimum barrel length is 18". Contrast that with the typical AR - even in most capacity-restricted states, 10 rounds can be in the magazine of a 16" barreled carbine. For the rest of us, 20 and 30 round normal magazines can be had easily and cheaply, and if you want to get crazy, the drum mags and Surefire fat mags can hold 2-3x as many.

Some people freak out when I say that - "oh noes, yur gunna hose down the neighborhood!"

Um, no. That capacity means I have more chances, and can stay in a fight longer.

The AR can be like mine, a 16" LW barrel with a collapsible stock, weigh less than 6#, and still be manageable by anybody in my house as far as weight of the gun and recoil are concerned. Shorter than a normal short shotgun, weighs less, recoils WAY less(very important for more than will admit it) holds over 3x the rounds, semiAuto so short stroking the action doesn't happen, testing proves that 5.56 ammo punches through less common construction materials than buckshot or slugs, can be easily fitted with optics and lights to enhance hit potential and target verification; and in the unlikely event of needing to step outside and address a target down the street, the AR is as ready as the shooter is.

With all of those advantages, it is very difficult for me to recommend a shotgun for most people as a HD weapon. If they hunt with a shotgun, or play games with one, or already have one, or are broke but need a gun, then we talk shotguns. Otherwise, the modern AR buries it.

The OP wants one, for some very real reasons. No more justification is needed. He's just got to pick one from so very good options and spend his money.
    Last edited by Duelist; 08-06-2016 at 10:35 AM.

User Tag List