Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun. Especially don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun as your first AR.

Zero practical benefit, and limits your ability to make changes later becauseermanently-attached.

Yes, some choad will come along and point out that the muzzle device can be un-pinned, drilled out, cut away, etc. but that's still way more trouble than simply unscrewing the device on a 16" barrel. If you're unclear, changing out the handguard will, in almost all cases, require removing the front sight base, which requires removing the muzzle device.
    Completely agree. Both of my ARs are 16" for those reasons.

Haven't heard some called a "choad" since HS. That was ... a long time ago. LOL
    Last edited by Duelist; 07-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Okay thank you. All my research has been on forums. It's hard to distinguish fanboy talk from unbiased talk. That's why I posted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would follow rob s advice. Idk if you are a member of any other forums, but he has forgotten more knowledge on the AR platform than I know.

And whatever you decide to purchase, I would contact grant at gr tactical for any of your questions and for your purchase. He takes care of first responders and military, and his prices for all of the brands mentioned so far in this thread (bcm, dd, colt, aimpoint) are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    And whatever you decide to purchase, I would contact grant at gr tactical for any of your questions and for your purchase. He takes care of first responders and military, and his prices for all of the brands mentioned so far in this thread (bcm, dd, colt, aimpoint) are incredible.

Okay thank you. All my research has been on forums. It's hard to distinguish fanboy talk from unbiased talk. That's why I posted here.

There is no unbiased. There are only opinions. Some opinions are based on experience. Some are not. I have had Colt and I have a S&W15 Sport. Still have the Sport. Sold the Colt. They were both good carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I would follow rob s advice. Idk if you are a member of any other forums, but he has forgotten more knowledge on the AR platform than I know.

Just checked out his site. Wow, his posted prices are great.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Pay once; cry once.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I'm thinking about the Trijicon Mro or aimpoint pro for red dot.

One of our guys had an MRO for about a week. It shit the bed so he got his money back. Stick with Aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    One of our guys had an MRO for about a week. It shit the bed so he got his money back. Stick with Aimpoint.
    One of the main reasons I was leaning towards it is because I can get a first responder discount on one for around $400. With the links other members posted I'm hoping I can find a good deal on an aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun. Especially don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun as your first AR.

Zero practical benefit, and limits your ability to make changes later becauseermanently-attached.

Yes, some choad will come along and point out that the muzzle device can be un-pinned, drilled out, cut away, etc. but that's still way more trouble than simply unscrewing the device on a 16" barrel. If you're unclear, changing out the handguard will, in almost all cases, require removing the front sight base, which requires removing the muzzle device.
    What are your thoughts on a lw barrel versus normal (I know that's not the right terminology forgive me)?

Random thoughts:

If you're buying the gun with the free-float rail it will wear for it's life then there is not major drawback to a pinned 14.5" barrel. You need to understand that there isn't much functional difference between a 16" and 14.5" barrel. You get a lot going from a fixed stock 20" gun to a collapsible stocked 14.5" or 16" gun. The next major noticeable improvement comes at true SBR length, like 11.5". An 11.5" AR is a dream to deploy from a vehicle.

If you're buying an AR you'll never appreciate it's intrinsic advantages unless you can actually shoot a rifle. The best way to get good at shooting rifles without breaking the bank is to attend an Appleseed event. They're cheap and they will teach you the fundamentals that most folks lack these days.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List