Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

I wouldn't put too much thought into big names endorsing products. Not to say it's not an excellent rifle.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    From what I've read, BCM sets the bar for bcg.

I really started considering their recce rifle after I heard Kyle defoor was behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Colt is the gold standard and the only company that uses the tdp to build rifles for civilians. Bcm does not manufacturer their bcg's, they are sourced from another company. Colt manufacturers their bcg's in house.

I'm not crapping on bcm, they make solid kit and one heck of a rifle and I know many who own and love them. But to your statement, bcm does not set the bar for bcg's, they follow the bar that was set long before they became a company.

Some other good options if you would rather have a mid-length hanguard and gas system are:

BCM 16 Mid-Length MOD 0 $1,128
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi- bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-16-MOD0

Lighter weight and mid-length: $1,040ish total
    BCM Blem Lower-add gunfighter stock option in menu- $345 http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...y=LWR-BCM-BLEM
    combined with
    BCM 16" Mid Length LIGHT WEIGHT Upper Receiver Group- add BCM bolt carrier and gunfighter charging handle of choice in drop down menu-$657.95
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...M-URG-MID-16LW
    combined with
    magpul polymer handguard of choice-MOE, MOE M-LOK, or MOE SL - $35ish - you would have to order this separately.

Some other items I would consider are :
    SOB B-sling- $26 http://www.sobmanswag.com/collection...with-mash-hook Very light weight and wonderful quick adjust, but no padding. Great value.
    Troy folding or fixed rear sight $45ish to $90ish dollars- shop around for a sale

All you need after that is an appropriate light mount for handguard of choice, decent flashlight, and a big pile of magazines. And ammo and a red dot of course.

As I see it, the difference with BCM is that, for around $100 to $300(depending on where you shop) more than a standard 6920, you get a nice PNT coated Mil-Spec trigger, "Gunfighter" Charging handle of choice, "Gunfighter" stock, pistol grip, triggerguard, and "Gunfighter" muzzle device. This stuff may or may not matter to you. You also get a bit longer hand guard so you can grip the gun further out as is popular now days, and maybe a bit more room for mounting a light, which is maybe easier to do on magpul handguards.

I like lightweight, mid-length guns(and lightweight accessories) because I actually carry my rifle around in the wilderness quite a bit and I buy into the hocus pocus about it being softer shooting and optimised for 16" guns.

In all honesty I must admit that a big reason that I buy BCM products is because of the relationship Pat Rogers had with BCM owner Paul Buffoni and because Pat vouched for the products. Also, I live in Wisconsin and like to support what I feel to be a good "local" company, even though they are located on the other end of the State.

Oils and Lotions SME
    For your budget and as a first carbine, Colt 6920 or 6720, Mount N Slot light mount (it mounts to stock handguards) with a 300+ lumen light from Sure Fire, Streamlight, 4Sevens or a number of others. Sheriff of Bagdad or VCAS sling, Aimpoint PRO, ammo and a class from a reputable instructor. If you can't afford it all, drop the optic, irons work; training is far more important than any accessory.

I have no reason to recommend a mid length gas system to a non-competition shooter.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

I have a DDM4V7lw. I replaced the MFR with a 15" DD Slim Rail. I love it. Right now, I would buy a DDM4V11 SLW with the 14.5 w/pinned DD flash hider. I also have a DD5V1 and a DDM4V11 w/ 18" S2W barrel. I think DD is top tier. I admit it, I am a DD fan boy. These guns all work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Colt is the gold standard and the only company that uses the tdp to build rifles for civilians. Bcm does not manufacturer their bcg's, they are sourced from another company. Colt manufacturers their bcg's in house.

I'm not crapping on bcm, they make solid kit and one heck of a rifle and I know many who own and love them. But to your statement, bcm does not set the bar for bcg's, they follow the bar that was set long before they became a company.
    Okay thank you. All my research has been on forums. It's hard to distinguish fanboy talk from unbiased talk. That's why I posted here.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

So school me on the pros and cons of a 16" vs pinned 14.5"? With my skill level am I going to even notice an accuracy difference?

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

As I've lamented in the past, the trend towards turning rifles into Barbie-dolls for SHTFantasy-obsessed suburban males has resulted in a limited number of complete guns available at normal retailers without getting into boutique guns like the various piston stupidity and blinged-up complete guns that may or may not fit your needs, and you have no way of knowing if they fit your needs or not because you don't actually know what you're going to do with the gun.

Buy a complete gun, a Colt 6920 (preferably a 6920 Magpul) being the best option, and Aimpoint PRO, and go take a class. Not a "gunfighting" class but a shooting class. Then re-assess your wants and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    So school me on the pros and cons of a 16" vs pinned 14.5"? With my skill level am I going to even notice an accuracy difference?

Don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun. Especially don't buy a 14.5" pinned gun as your first AR.

Zero practical benefit, and limits your ability to make changes later becauseermanently-attached.

Yes, some choad will come along and point out that the muzzle device can be un-pinned, drilled out, cut away, etc. but that's still way more trouble than simply unscrewing the device on a 16" barrel. If you're unclear, changing out the handguard will, in almost all cases, require removing the front sight base, which requires removing the muzzle device.

Joe Strohman at Strohman Enterprises is the go-to guy for Aimpoints if you're a first responder.

There's little reason to get a 14.5" gun over a 16" if it's going to be your only gun; the main advantage isn't accuracy or ballistic performance, especially in a home defense scenario, but simply maneuverability, and 1.5" is pretty little difference, especially once you've had training. On the other hand, a 16" you can, as previously noted, can easily change your muzzle device and handguard.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.

User Tag List