Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For a "Home Defense" rifle, a Colt 6720 or 6920 is about perfect. Just add an Aimpoint, simple bright light, basic 2-point sling, and some good mags. I'd likely keep the factory trigger on such a rifle.
    I agree.

there are three points where I struggle with that advice, and both ultimately come down to the handguard. The three points are
    (1) support hand placement limitations
    (2) light mounting options
    (3) forward sling-mount options

All, obviously, can be overcome to one degree or another, but I'd feel an awful lot better if it came out of the box in a way that addressed them. The Colt Combat unit Carbine addresses this to some degree, but the near $400 increase for a meh lengthened gas tube isn't really worthwhile. that's a lot to pay for a $200 handguard and 2" of gas tube.

The trigger on my Colt is one of the better standard AR triggers. It was a bit notchy, but application of lube fixed most of that. I think it will improve more as I shoot it
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, the Gold Dots (GDs) in their various weights are bonded soft points offering expansion, reliable penetration and good barrier performance (such as against windshield glass). The 75 grain version is their latest offering and seems to be getting great reports like the other GD rounds. Out of my 1/7 twist carbine they are 1.5 MOA precise (if not better) so this is my go-to round in my AR. Note - I use a Glock 17 with an Inforce APL as my primary HD weapon.

The other well-accepted (fragmenting, not "barrier blind") round for HD is anything that uses the 77 grain Sierra OTM bullet, such as these. For inside the house, these are probably the best bet as they are less likely to over penetrate but have adequate penetration in gelatin. They're really accurate in a 1/7 twist barrel too.
    Thanks for the great advice on ammunition. I will start with these and test them to see how my gun likes them. My gun will shoot much better than I can even dream of but I will still try and get some groups.

I tried to find a Colt 6920 and it was really my first choice. At the time I purchased, a couple months ago, ar's were in high demand because it was looking inevitable that Hillary would get elected. I couldn't find a Colt in stock for a good price.

In the end I'm glad I went with the bcm. I have really long arms and having a full rail feels more natural. This was a buy once cry once purchase (my Christmas and bday gift). I think had I went with a Colt I would've wished later on I had a full length rail.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I agree.

there are three points where I struggle with that advice, and both ultimately come down to the handguard. The three points are
    (1) support hand placement limitations
    (2) light mounting options
    (3) forward sling-mount options

All, obviously, can be overcome to one degree or another, but I'd feel an awful lot better if it came out of the box in a way that addressed them. The Colt Combat unit Carbine addresses this to some degree, but the near $400 increase for a meh lengthened gas tube isn't really worthwhile. that's a lot to pay for a $200 handguard and 2" of gas tube.
    Where is the $400 difference coming from? A 6920 magpul MSRP is $1099 and the 6960(CCU) is MSRP $1299. And add to the fact the cmr rail has built in QD attachment points, so no need to buy the hardware. I'd say $200 to address all three of your gripes with the 6920 would be worth it.

And this option is from the factory so no frankstein parts gun.

OP sorry for the thread drift.
    Last edited by PearTree; 12-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Where is the $400 difference coming from? A 6920 magpul MSRP is $1099 and the 6960(CCU) is MSRP $1299. And add to the fact the cmr rail has built in QD attachment points, so no need to buy the hardware. I'd say $200 to address all three of your gripes with the 6920 would be worth it.

And this option is from the factory so no frankstein parts gun.

OP sorry for the thread drift.
    The difference is that you can get a 6920/6720 for far lower than MSRP (example) but the CCU is single-source and unlikely to sell for much, if any, lower than the MSRP. The CCU should only be a $200 premium, I agree with you. When it sells for $1000 I'd recommend it, and likely even buy one.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-06-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Oils and Lotions SME
    IWC Mount N Slot QD and light mounts makes stock handguards very viable.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    IWC Mount N Slot QD and light mounts makes stock handguards very viable.
    I don't really agree, but I get what you're saying. "Viable" is a sliding scale, and if you trend towards the low end of viable to mean "marginally acceptable" then you're correct.

I still don't understand why it's so hard to get a $1k (retail) quality AR with a free-floated ~10-12" handguard from the factory and readily available in retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't really agree, but I get what you're saying. "Viable" is a sliding scale, and if you trend towards the low end of viable to mean "marginally acceptable" then you're correct.

I still don't understand why it's so hard to get a $1k (retail) quality AR with a free-floated ~10-12" handguard from the factory and readily available in retail stores.
    I have a feeling that $1k falls between two schools of thought on AR purchasing.

There's the people that want to spend less cos they're cheap and don't understand what it takes to make a decent rifle (and won't shoot it enough to notice the difference) and there are the people who are happy to spend more because they get the latest flavour of hand guard, trigger, stock, sling, name whatever attachment you care. none of which really matters for most people but who are retailers to tell them that when they're in business?

A third school is what you're suggesting, how many times does this thread come up? How many times do people actually take the advice? People don't want to buy the generic out of the box AR and the market has exploded to sell them every option under the sun and a few more.
    Last edited by hiro; 12-06-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: cos I couldn't and probably still didn't, write a coherent post

How does Aero Precision fit into the Great AR Scheme of Things?

Brownells has them at $530 without stock or handguard.

How do they compare to Colt, BCM, DD etc?

(And no, I don't own one nor am I looking to buy one, just yet)

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I have a feeling that $1k falls between two schools of thought on AR purchasing.

There's the people that want to spend less cos they're cheap and don't understand what it takes to make a decent rifle (and won't shoot it enough to notice the difference) and there are the people who are happy to spend more because they get the latest flavour of hand guard, trigger, stock, sling, name whatever attachment you care. none of which really matters for most people but who are retailers to tell them that when they're in business?

A third school is what you're suggesting, how many times does this thread come up? How many times do people actually take the advice? People don't want to buy the generic out of the box AR and the market has exploded to sell them every option under the sun and a few more.
    Sounds about right.

I had high hopes for the CCU. Problem is the sole-source issue which eliminates competitive pricing. It's a great $1k gun, I'm just not convinced it's worth $200-300 more.

I also think there's a sweet spot missed for the new buyer that asks us "I want to get an AR and I have $1k to spend". Part of the reason they wind up with the doo-dad guns is that when you tell them to go get a 6720 they feel like they are buying their grandad's AR. Even the guy that's spent the most amount of time convincing himself of his "need", what he's really looking for is the cool guy factor and he doesn't want to show off his new gun to his golf buddies and when they are unimpressed say "what? this is what the nerds on the internet told me to buy!"

User Tag List