Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Thanks for that Tom, here are pics of my BCM as compariso
    The staking on the end plate is just adequate but the staking on the carrier key is inadequate.

I'm a little surprised BCM put that one out the door, but it happens.

Apologies, I was posting from my phone and goofed... hopefully we are now good to go

The BCM pics look good.

I'm told the gas block is pinned but I don't have any details.

Those are the wrong screws on the Aero gas key in addition to the poor staking.

I blows my mind that in 2016, after "the chart" and with all the other knowledge that exists about how to properly assembly an AR, manufacturers still can't or won't get it right. On the other hand, that helps pay my bills, so, whatever.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Light weight is good for an HD long weapon, as the support hand will be so likely to have other things to do. My ailing support-side rotator cuff is another reason, for my personal situation. I have nothing hanging out front, on my BCM Lightweight Middy upper, except a short bit of rail for an X300-series light on the Magpul handguards.

Nothing against a shotgun, and I really like my 870P, but when I tweaked my rotator cuff last week, I would have been unable to do much with the 870P for a couple of days.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-12-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Dec. 2015 production (approx.) Aero Precision 5.56/.300 Blk carrier staking. No bueno.

Name:  IMG_5768.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  27.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Dec. 2015 production (approx.) Aero Precision 5.56/.300 Blk carrier staking. No bueno.

Name:  IMG_5768.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  27.5 KB
    Yeah that's fucking lame.

Can you explain why that staking is "no bueno"?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Selecting an AR for home defense

Compare it to the staking in post 141. The AP staking just barely kisses the screw. The Colt staking actually deforms the screw. One is more secure than the other.

Will it make a difference? Not to me on a fun gun.

Would it make a difference if an army or agency was fielding 10,000 rifles? More likely.

For a consumer, more than anything I would say that getting the little things like staking done right shows that the more important things that the consumer might not be able to see were also done right. None of that may be important to the consumer, or all of it might. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TR675; 12-21-2016 at 06:48 PM.

User Tag List