Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

If the head is deformed from over staking, the head is damaged and weakened. Staking should not deform the head
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I'm not an engineer or a staking guru. All I know is the company that owns the TDP does it one way and Aero does it another. But if you have other thoughts let's hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to be an engineer or a staking guru to realize that damaging the head of a bolt is not desirable. A deformed head doesn't sit flat on the surface and means the bolt is weakened and possibly fractured where the head meets the shank. If the gas key bolts shear, you've got problems.

I just check the gas key of my Colt and as I expected, it's staked without damaging the bolt heads. You can bet that damaging the bolt heads isn't part of the TDP.

If interested in learning more about staking, I've started another thread on the subject. Here's the link- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....941#post539941

To keep from derailing this thread any further, please direct any questions, comments and criticisms there
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

is this good or bad?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    is this good or bad?
    Good! Correct bolts and from the view you show, key metal appears to be amply pressed against the OD of the bolt heads.

I really ought to go take some pics of my 4 2016 production Colt bolts for reference, but they pretty much look just like that.
    Last edited by ASH556; 12-23-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List