Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

If the person was willing to do a little bit of bolting on and mail-ordering I think this is still where I'd be

Colt LE6920 OEM2 - $750
    Centurion Arms CMR M-LOK - $195
    Magpul MOE SL Carbine Stock - $57
    Magpul MOE® SL™ Grip - $19
    Magpul MOE® Trigger Guard - $9

goes a hair over the $1k mark at $1030 and can't be just bought over the counter at the local gunshop, but it gives me hope that some enterprising retailer might figure out a way to assemble the complete guns themselves and sell them over the counter.

And confirms, in my mind, that the CCU is a $1k gun.

I'm surprised their aren't more manufacturers offering the oem options.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    when they are unimpressed say "what? this is what the nerds on the internet told me to buy!"
    Pretty much the response I got from my friends when they saw the Magpul handguard. I'm not mounting a laser, the flashlight went on fine with a couple of extra holes drilled for an IWC mount and the M Lok sling mounts are where I want them. Definitely didn't pass the cool guy test tho. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    How does Aero Precision fit into the Great AR Scheme of Things? Brownells has them at $530 without stock or handguard. How do they compare to Colt, BCM, DD etc? (And no, I don't own one nor am I looking to buy one, just yet)
    Personally, they are really, really tempting, especially for an entry level gun. I still haven't heard how they've attached the gas block and I'd like to see the staking on the gas key and castle nut but all the other numbers look good.

If you buy me one, I'll offer an armorer's assessment for free.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Personally, they are really, really tempting, especially for an entry level gun. I still haven't heard how they've attached the gas block and I'd like to see the staking on the gas key and castle nut but all the other numbers look good.

A friend bought one a few weeks back prior to the election (fearing the worse). I'll ask him to check and post back here.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I have a homebuilt 300BLK SBR with all Aero and Ballistic Advantage parts (other than a wonky PDW stock). If I remember when I get home I'll try to post a pic of the gas key staking.

Since I built it myself, I can't comment on their factory gas block attachment method, but mine (ordered from BA with the barrel) has two set screws; I opted as well to have them drill it for a pin. The pin they sent is just a roll pin, not very snug, but it's under a rail so I guess I don't care.
    Last edited by TR675; 12-07-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    How does Aero Precision fit into the Great AR Scheme of Things?

Brownells has them at $530 without stock or handguard.

How do they compare to Colt, BCM, DD etc?

(And no, I don't own one nor am I looking to buy one, just yet)
    Epic AP thread, make of it what you will
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....cision-Quality

Thanks for the link. It's been a while since I read M4C, most of the names don't mean much to me so I skimmed most posts. Jim D and Iraqguns were the only ones I remembered and they posted mixed results. If I can get them I'll post pics of their staking.

Name:  IMG_0416.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  16.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0417.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  25.2 KB
    Aero OEM rifle bought from Brownells.
    Last edited by hiro; 12-10-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks for that Tom. I was about to post pics of my BCM as comparison.

(Hopefully I've managed to do that after editing this 3 times, more coffee please!)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by hiro; 12-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.

User Tag List