Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Selecting an AR for home defense

Due to current events, political uncertainty and other factors, I have been heavily considering an ar for home defense.

My current training with an AR is little to none. I've shot probably 500 rounds in my life. My goal is to get a rifle and get training. Learn the platform well and the applications of the rifle for home defense. Until then a pistol will remain my hd weapon.

That said I am asking your guys and gals help on choosing an ar. My budget is $1500 before the optic.

I want a "battle ready" rifle. Something I can trust my life to. I really don't have any interest in building one for that reason. I'm looking at either buying a full rifle or upper and lower and slapping it together.

Right now my short list is:
    Daniel Defense ddm4v11 maybe lw version?
    BCM Reece 16" or 14.5"

I don't know what length is preferable or type of barrel (lw, govt, etc).

Any input from you all is great? I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Colt, BCM, Daniel defense. All in your price and all considered good to go.

Edit: I own a DDM4V11LW am love it. Wish I would have bought a BCM. Because mainstream.
    Last edited by Luke; 07-08-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Pretty much anything BCM or DD is going to be solid right out of the box.

I'd tell you to stick with 14.5 - 16" LW profile hammer forged barrels. LW holds up just as well and you don't get as fatigued while training and getting reps in.
    LW is also better if you're going to add the weight back at a later point with lights lasers and optics.

I generally prefer the 14.5" barrel as the best all around best length / do everything gun, but the disadvantage with the 14.5 barrel (being that as someone new to the gun), you may not know exactly what muzzle device you will ultimately want... And while it can be swapped at a later point, you're generally looking at a gunsmith taking your upper for a few days to swap stuff out... That's time where you're not going to have your rifle.

As far as rails - BCM vs DD's Slim Rail... I've used both, and both handle well. MLOK / Keymod... That's a whole other debate... But for most people it won't matter.

Get the best deal you can find, and spend the rest of the $$$ on a class and ammo.

"I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Colt 6920 magpul edition, aimpoint pro or h2 (your choice), bfg vickers sling, ariska defense 300 light in their mount, and lots of mags and a case of ammo. The entire package will be under or right at $1500 and will be as reliable as any setup out there.

I suggest this to any person getting into ar's. Spend the extra saved money on training classes.
    Last edited by PearTree; 07-08-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: More info

No bad advice yet. First training you should get is an Appleseed Class on riflery.

I grabbed a 6920 Magpul in 2013 as soon as Wal-Mart got one back in stock. After yesterday, I'm getting it in my youngest son's mitts. He still lives with us and a lot of bad people/BLMs in our town know where we are. We're all doing a refresher day tomorrow at The Ranch.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I'm thinking about the Trijicon Mro or aimpoint pro for red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I'm thinking about the Trijicon Mro or aimpoint pro for red dot.

I had an MRO for awhile and liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Colt, BCM, Daniel defense. All in your price and all considered good to go.

Edit: I own a DDM4V11LW am love it. Wish I would have bought a BCM. Because mainstream.
    Why BCM over Daniel Defense?

I like the BCM rail (it's more round), I like there furniture, already has good charging handle and compensator. And like all the cool kids run BCM and since there is no real performance difference the obvious choice is to do what the cool kids are doing.
    Last edited by Luke; 07-08-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    i used to wannabe

From what I've read, BCM sets the bar for bcg.

I really started considering their recce rifle after I heard Kyle defoor was behind it.

User Tag List