Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting an AR for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    One of the main reasons I was leaning towards it is because I can get a first responder discount on one for around $400. With the links other members posted I'm hoping I can find a good deal on an aimpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aimpoints "deals" for LE/etc aren't that great...maybe 10%. I'd buy a PRO from Amazon and be done with it.

Despite ignorant comments by VP Biden, the AR15 carbine with a 16" barrel is likely the best home defense long gun currently available for the vast majority of US citizens.

A basic solid set-up would be a Colt 6720, a few 20-30 rd magazines, an Aimpoint RDS, a Surefire light of at least 500 lumens, and an adjustable 2 point sling like a BFG or VTAC. Get appropriate high quality initial training, as well as ongoing practice using generic ball ammo. Have a solid zero at one of the reasonable distances, be it 50, 100 or 200. Finally pick a good defensive load--ensure function and verify POA/POI.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-09-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

One of the main reasons I was leaning towards it is because I can get a first responder discount on one for around $400. With the links other members posted I'm hoping I can find a good deal on an aimpoint.

I've bought three Aimpoint PROs from Optics Planet. I paid in the $360-380 range for them. All three were bought during "Black Friday" sales or the week after Christmas.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

What are your thoughts on a lw barrel versus normal (I know that's not the right terminology forgive me)?

I was a fan of, and using, using lightweight barrels before it was a fad, back when everyone else seemed to think it was stupid, and the Colt 6720 was just about the only option and it came with an A2 upper that I had to swap out for a flat-top. I still remain a huge fan, but the Colt 6720 is less common in retail stores and isn't available, to my knowledge, right out of the box with the Magpul furniture.

Unfortunately the combination of the carbine-length (~7") gas system and the stock furniture leaves a lot of room for improvement when employing modern shooting techniques. The only way to overcome this is (a) fiddle-fuck, meaning changing out the handguard after purchase or (b) buy a non-Colt with a midlength (~9") gas system, or (c) deal with the slightly stupid barrel profile of the 6920 and get a highly functional, reliable, and durable rifle right out of the gate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    One of our guys had an MRO for about a week. It shit the bed so he got his money back. Stick with Aimpoint.
    Word. Fleas on the MRO: it IS magnified somewhat despite their BS tech sheet. It has an odd fisheye effect and the battery compartment is just begging to be broken (little spring fingers to retain the battery). Buy an Aimpoint PRO and save yourself the hassle.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Word. Fleas on the MRO: it IS magnified somewhat despite their BS tech sheet. It has an odd fisheye effect and the battery compartment is just begging to be broken (little spring fingers to retain the battery). Buy an Aimpoint PRO and save yourself the hassle.
    Agreed on the MRO. Up till now I have had Aimpoint Micros and EOtechs. I recently bought a PRO. My only complaint with it is not much headroom. You have to turn it up to one click from full bright to make it useable outdoors. And yes, I did put fresh batteries in it.

Since we are on the topic of optics, should I get the aimpoint pro and be done with it or consider the t1 or t2?

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    The only reason most users prefer a t1 or t2 is weight, the other features just aren't used by most shooters.

I think the micros would maybe make it a bit easier for my wife to run the gun without getting fatigued.

But, really these are pretty lightweight guns in general and if you keep it simple, light, red dot, and maybe a sling most people can use them effectively.

Since we are on the topic of optics, should I get the aimpoint pro and be done with it or consider the t1 or t2?
    There's also the H-1 and H-2 to consider, each of which save you a bit compared to their T-series counterpart.

The weight difference between a pro and t1 is 4.8 ounces. Its really preference in my opinion. If weight is your main goal, go with the micro series. Cost wise, the pro is much cheaper. Like was mentioned earlier, look at the h1 or h2 as a cheaper alternative to the t1 or t2.
    Last edited by PearTree; 07-10-2016 at 12:34 PM.

User Tag List