Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working the trigger at speed and combating the low shot

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've been working on fixed time standards at 30yds and noticed that as I push speed (more rounds off under par), I throw more Charlies at 6:00. I went down a rabbit hole trying to fix my trigger pull and grip but finally figured out why I was doing that. As split time decreased, I was occasionally accepting a sight picture with the front blade subtly lower in the rear notch but would not accept a sight picture with the blade a tiny bit high because it's easier to see that error.
    This is exactly what I had with the u notch rears with the hds. When I am locked on the sights are really capable of more accuracy then you would think with that giant orange ball for a front sight.

I've also been chasing my tail regarding the occasional low shot at speed in steel challenge despite feeling as though I was managing the trigger reasonably well. Yesterday at the range I think I zeroed in on the problem. Jerking the trigger - no, and not much of an issue with a 3 lb trigger. Squeezing with my right hand grip as I pulled through the trigger - no. Support hand grip strength - no, not really. I believe I have gotten lazy about support hand trip placement.

There isn't much recoil shooting soft load in a 9mm 1911 and my support had grip had "migrated" to where I had almost no wrist angle. This contributes to low shots in two ways: 1)the left and right hand palms aren't in good contact and 1)despite a good grip with the support hand the wrist is relatively limp, offering little or no resistance to a slight downward deflection of the muzzle as the trigger is pressed. That's the good news. The bad news is I've now got to do a bit of sight alignment retraining, but I believe I'm on the right track.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 07-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.

When I started shooting matches, my follow up shots were all over the place: left, right, high or low of my first shot. Once I addressed trigger pull and strong even grip pressure, my shot groups tighten up. It also helped when I stopped(mostly) anticipating recoil. Then I started to shoot faster and my shots were mostly high or low of where I "thought" I was aiming. I addressed that with learning what an acceptable sight picture looked like at various distances. Accuracy at speed improved with quality practices.

I get the sense from your hardware questions, you have some doubts about your platform. Solid gun handling skills will overcome most shortcomings of a pistol.

Good Luck

User Tag List