Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 172: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

21/36 at 7 yds G3G19 from JMCK appendix. I should have run it closer, but I was retarded and followed directions from memory when I realized I had 36 rounds left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

G19 Gen4 from under a denim vest in a Blade-Tec Phantom IWB holster at 3:30.

I shot the drill at 7 yards from concealment.

I shot this somewhat cold on 7/16/16. I say somewhat because I always begin my range sessions with the chambered round of my defensive ammo at 50 yards. Afterward I proceeded with the drill, but I screwed the pooch on the third dot because I only had 3 rounds in the gun. Oops. So I started over and scored 26/36 for a fail.

I definitely noticed my individual hits for the majority of the strings, so I told myself to not lose focus of my front sight. Also, I definitely could afford more leeway in time for my first shot on half of the strings.

Here is my steaming bag of suckage.

Shot with my trusty Elite II, with my trusty Blade-Tech OWB holster and belt, and my trusty lack of skill. I may have landed 6/36.

I was getting frustrated, both at not meeting the par time or the accuracy standard....I only shot this once, thankfully.

Ran this from concealment with a CZ-75 SP-01. 3 yards with 5 sec par on turning targets.

Scored: 28/36
    5/5
    5/6
    5/6
    4/6 (maybe 3/6??)
    3/6
    6/6

Name:  Garcia.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  32.8 KB

Noticed on some strings I'm just seeing/observing, and I tend to shoot those strings much cleaner. Need to work on seeing sights and calling my shots. Also pushed the targets back later to 5 yards and shot 2 strings of 6 rounds, getting 4/6 on both. Will maybe run this drill again next time twice, once at 3 yards then another at 5 or 7 yards to see what I can do there. May be good practice to also not "force" shots and shoot with visual patience at those distances, which I have struggled with at USPSA.

Edit to add lots of low/left shots. Left is due to my grip, which I've continued to work on in dry fire. Low shots I'll need to get the anticipation and milking out of my system slowly...
    Last edited by scw2; 07-19-2016 at 08:35 PM.

After scw2 and firefighterguy pointed out I should have plenty of time to complete this drill I was encouraged to repeat it. Results were disappointing.

Equipment: Gen 3 Glock 22 with 9mm conversion (just going to call it a 17 from now on), CompTac OWB holster, no concealment.
    Variation: Kiddie version with 5 second par time at 3 yards from the holster.
    Times/hits: 4.00 for 5/6; 3.93 for 4/6; 4.10 for 5/6; 3.78 for 4/6; 4.85 for 6/6 and 4.56 for 6/6. Total hits 30/36.

Had plenty of time and groups were fairly small, would have fit within the 2 inch circle, but were low. Tried several more times but kept throwing low groups then got frustrated and the groups really opened up. Plan to keep coming back to this particularly sadistic little drill until I can complete it successfully. Got to figure out if I am shoving the gun (possibly) or letting my concentration go to the target over the front sight (likely).

This drill is definitely not one you can get by with just luck. Doing six dots clean in a row definitely demands focus and true skill. Yesterday I went to the range to do the drill over for a total of 8 tries. Same distance as last (7 yards) just without concealment which really didn't factor much at all from what the shot timer told. Hovered in the high twenties with my last run scoring 30/36. A couple of runs I managed to shoot the top 3 dots clean but then managed to lose it on the last bottom 3.

BTW Shooting Range Hack: A jar of Bare Minerals and a fine tip sharpie make perfect 2" circles.
    I was driving the GF's car 😏

First time trying this drill and wow is it difficult. I only had enough ammo left to try from 3 and 5 yards. I'll try again next weekend from 5.. 7 is going to be ridiculous.

Glock 26 - Gen 4
    JM Custom IWB4
    T-Shirt concealment
    All strings in the 4.5-5 second range

3 Yards - 36/36
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  16.3 KB

5 Yards - 32/36
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  17.1 KB
    Last edited by GAP; 07-24-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Range1 View Post
    After scw2 and firefighterguy pointed out I should have plenty of time to complete this drill I was encouraged to repeat it. Results were disappointing.
    Haha, I was going off the times listed before. I can't come close to your performance yet, so I don't mean to say that the hypothetical times listed were easy by any means, and your results are way better than mine. I do notice that I struggle with some anticipation, plus shoving the gun like you mentioned. Not sure how to solve for the shoving issue with recoil management. I suspect maybe I'm not using enough forward/aggressive posture.

Equipment used: S&W M&P 9c, JMCK AIWB
    Any variations used: concealed under t-shirt
    Total score out of the 36 possible points: 21/36
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard: FAIL

Shot this at 5 yards. One shot on the last circle was over time. Didn't do as well as I had hoped.

IMG_0291 by John, on Flickr

User Tag List