Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 172: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Week 172: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Results may be posted until August 8th, 2016.

Designed by: Frank Garcia
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Six 2” dots – Download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: Hands at sides, facing the target, pistol holstered
    Rounds Fired: 36
    Par Time: 5 seconds

Start with pistol loaded and holstered. Upon start signal, draw and fire 6 rounds into one dot. Do this for each of the six dots.

Traditionally, this drill is shot from the holster, at 7 yards, with a 5 second par time, and is scored Pass/Fail (36/36 = Pass, not 36/36 = Fail.) Variations are fine if they enable you to participate in the drill.

Suggested variations:

If you aren't allowed to draw from the holster at your live fire facility, then instead start with the gun on the bench with magazine in the magazine well, but chamber empty. Upon start signal, pick up gun, chamber a round, and fire 6 rounds into one dot.

If the time and accuracy standards are unworkable for you, start by moving the target closer. If you are not able to make hits at the 3 yard line, then try doing the drill without a par time.

Concealment is not required, but is certainly optional if you wish to use it.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Any variations used (concealment, starting with gun on bench, reduced distance, no par time)
    Time and hits for each of the six strings
    Total score out of the 36 possible points
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

My first dotw!

I failed! Big time. Today was my first time to ever train live drawing from a holster. I finally found a public range that allows it.

I scored 25/36 and shot it from 5 yards. I tried to time it but being in a public range it didn't work out. I really rushed it because I didn't want to cheat on the time.

I had a lot of variations but I'm glad I did it no matter how poorly I did! It sets a benchmark for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Good job man! Even at 5 yards that ain't bad. This is one of the hardest drill I think I've ever shot.

I'm looking forward to Gabe and Les's entries. I know Les cleans it at 8 yards like a boss. I'm sure Gabe cleans it WHO.
    Last edited by Luke; 07-10-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Gen 3 17 chopped/stippled and a Gen 4 19, both under a polo from a Dark Star Gear Aiwb
    3 yds

Gen 3 17
    3yds
    3.89 -1
    3.95 -2
    4.63 C
    4.06 C
    4.1 C
    3.77 -2
    31/36
    Fail

Gen 4 19
    3yds
    Run 1
    4.35 -1
    4.21 C
    4.18 C
    4.43 C
    4.15 -1
    4.24 C
    34/36
    Fail

Run 2
    4.27 C
    4.09 C
    3.96 C
    4.2 C
    4.31 C
    4.36 C
    36/36
    Pass

I knew going in that I couldn't make the standard at 7yds. I figured I would work it as a walk-back as I cleaned it, but that turned out a bit more difficult than I expected. Dots are the bane of my existence!! I was horrible with my chopped 17. Luckily I brought my 19 along but shanked 2 shots on the first run. Damn! So I ran it again, knowing that I had plenty of time left to get my hits and clean it. On the second run I did just that. I then went to the five yard line but my runs were either under time and not clean or clean but over time. I didn't even bother recording anything but it was a mid twenties score. By this point I had ran it 4 times and between this and the other things I had run, I was running out of the allotted ammo. In another 2" walkback style drill I run, I can do 5 clean on a 2" through 11 yards but the par is about 2 seconds per yard. It is a rather humbling drill and I like it. I've ran it or variations of it in the past but this is the first time i've cleaned it at any distance. I think in the future I will do 4 yards until I can clean it then proceed to 5 and so on. This seems like a drill that you need to take a yard at a time to get steady gains.

I probably should've tried it at 3 yards. It's very humbling. People clearing this at 7 yards blows my mind. I love this site. Keeps me humble.

Edit: I would like to add I ran this from concealment with a Glock 19 appendix carried in a jm custom kydex aiwb holster with foam wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JCS; 07-10-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm sure Gabe cleans it WHO.
    Lolololol yeah right
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot with a CZ 75, from concealment AIWB. Did this from 3 yards.

Shot 5 of 6 strings: 6/6, 0/6, 0/6, 3/6, 4/6, (extrapolated 3/6) = 16 / 36.

Takeaways:
    1. Pretty poor showing, but hit 6/6 for the first time finally.
    2. Draws averaged 2.0 sec and splits were 0.6 sec
    3. Should try to get weighted dummy rounds to use in dry fire to improve draws
    4. Work on seeing and tracking sights to improve splits
    5. Continue to work on trigger press to help prevent downward push, and make sure I no longer see the front sight dip when shot is about to break

Name:  garcia2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  44.2 KB

Equipment used: Gen 4 Glock 23 with 9mm conversion, CompTac OWB strong side holster, no concealment this time
    Any variations used: Used the kiddie version, 3 yards with no par time
    Time and hits for each of the six strings: 6/6 at 8.72; 6/6 at 6.24; 6/6 at 4.91; 6/6 at 4.25; 6/6 at 5.23; 2/6 at 5.21
    Total score out of the 36 possible points: 32
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard: Fail

For some reason found myself wanting to check for hits after each shot. First time I have caught myself doing that to that extent. Resulted in slowing the splits and shooting low. All groups were a little low. The first two groups were tight so was going too slow. Got a little cocky on the last one since the accuracy was pretty good so tried to poor it on. Started missing, started looking for the hits and screwed up good. Have to really concentrate on front sight and trust my fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Range1 View Post
    Equipment used: Gen 4 Glock 23 with 9mm conversion, CompTac OWB strong side holster, no concealment this time
    Any variations used: Used the kiddie version, 3 yards with no par time
    Time and hits for each of the six strings: 6/6 at 8.72; 6/6 at 6.24; 6/6 at 4.91; 6/6 at 4.25; 6/6 at 5.23; 2/6 at 5.21
    Total score out of the 36 possible points: 32
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard: Fail

For some reason found myself wanting to check for hits after each shot. First time I have caught myself doing that to that extent. Resulted in slowing the splits and shooting low. All groups were a little low. The first two groups were tight so was going too slow. Got a little cocky on the last one since the accuracy was pretty good so tried to poor it on. Started missing, started looking for the hits and screwed up good. Have to really concentrate on front sight and trust my fundamentals.
    Interesting that you went with hits first and time second, and I sorta went with the opposite by trying to meet the time standard and tried to drag fundamentals/accuracy along kicking and screaming. I wonder what the more efficient way to train is...

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Interesting that you went with hits first and time second, and I sorta went with the opposite by trying to meet the time standard and tried to drag fundamentals/accuracy along kicking and screaming. I wonder what the more efficient way to train is...
    It is training for two different things and you should train both ways. With that being said, the key to this drill is getting the hits AT speed. The point is to develop a fast and accurate trigger press. If you are looking at accuracy alone I think Dot Torture is a good drill for that. So for the Frank Garcia Dot drill it would be better to go closer in order to make the time than it would be to go slower at s farther distance.

"If the time and accuracy standards are unworkable for you, start by moving the target closer. If you are not able to make hits at the 3 yard line, then try doing the drill without a par time."
    Last edited by cheshire_cat; 07-14-2016 at 08:46 PM.

User Tag List