Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any fans of the pistol Aimed Point & Shoot technique?

What does it say of me that I can't naturally point my finger at anything but I can draw to a light switch at 10 yards with my eyes closed?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Just so that people are clear on what the OP is referring to, the Point & Shoot technique isn't the same as "point shooting". It's a "technique" where you keep your index finger along the frame of your pistol and use it to point at you target (with index finger still extended along the frame of the pistol) and then pull the trigger with your middle finger.

Attachment 8991

And to echo all the previous posters, no, no one (or hopefully no one here, unless they are missing a couple phalanges of their index finger) uses that technique.
    There was a small pamphlet printed in the mid-ish 1900s giving tips to the greenhorns out on the plains of the west. This idea was floated then as the answer to fast and accurate revolver shooting without needing the common shooting technique of using the usual trigger finger.

I looked up a site about this before I posted earlier, the same pic Tom posted was there. I think this is a variation on the general theme of point shooting. It was also full of links to the QK and pistol QK (don't we know a guy...?), as well as the older references from way back in the day that point shooting was thought pretty fast company and top form by some. I quite agree some fairly good shooting can be done with such methods, particularly if one practices a LOT (and most of us will never be a Bill Jordan or Bob Munden). We also have many examples of people being so trained and performing poorly. I wont stand in the way of anyone wanting to practice different ideas, but if it isn't truly a proven advantage compared to other known and used techniques, it should be considered a fun exercise. I had tons of fun shooting tens of thousands of rounds over the years messing with it, but I realized that in any actual use of hunting or making an important shot, I always got at least a flash sight picture if not good sight picture. It takes less time to make the first shot with more deliberate fire than to try to catch up after missing the first one. This thing used a flash sight picture, but the finger thing is goofy. Its also not going to give as good of a grip on the gun for stabilizing during a shot or recoil control for follow-up shots. If someone can show side by side vids with times showing a clear advantage in time and accuracy, it would be worth looking at.

Any fans of the pistol Aimed Point & Shoot technique?

It's the proven Jack Ruby method!

As an enthusiast, and amateur history buff I like to dig into the background of the what's, how's, and why's of all this stuff I like to do. From what I've been able to find, the use of the index finger to point the gun, while using the middle finger to press the trigger has been attributed to everyone from the Israeli's, to the OSS, to guys in the 1700-1800s on the western frontier of the USA. I really didn't look into it too much as it seemed to be a lowest of the low common denominator type thing. I have seen pictures of guys shooting revolvers such as the one of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald, and often wondered how they got around the gases tearing up the tip of their index finger? Other than that issue, and the historical angle, that's the extent of any interest I ever had.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 07-08-2016 at 03:29 PM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Regarding Ruby, he was missing a good part of his trigger finger, so...

Site Supporter
    I bought a Keltec P32 a decade ago and found that with that particular pistol I was more accurate with the technique in question. That said I don't remember if I ever shot it past 5 or 7 yards. I believe a big part of it working with that particular pistol involved the horrible sights and super small grip, this technique actually allowed me to get a decent hold on the little fellow. I did not want to have one pistol that used a radically different hold, I think I was carrying a Glock 19 or 23 at the time, so I put the Keltec up.

I think if you only ever used a tiny mouse gun this technique might have some application but if you are using larger weapons or weapons with sights I would stick with the standard, established holds.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I think if you only ever used a tiny mouse gun this technique might have some application but if you are using larger weapons or weapons with sights I would stick with the standard, established holds.
    That's the only way I could shoot one of those micro NAA 22LR pistols. Which is why I don't carry one. If I wanted a micro gun, I can shoot a Baby Browning fairly well... but I don't carry one of those either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That's the only way I could shoot one of those micro NAA 22LR pistols. Which is why I don't carry one. If I wanted a micro gun, I can shoot a Baby Browning fairly well... but I don't carry one of those either.
    I should specify that I still brought the pistol up to eye level and "aimed" along top the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I should specify that I still brought the pistol up to eye level and "aimed" along top the slide.
    Ditto. I then realized I was foolishly wasting time and .22lr ammo on that thing when there was a S&W 617 6" I could be shooting instead.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    It's the proven Jack Ruby method!

I feel like there should be a "caption this pic" for Oswald....I'll start

"Oh that stung you stupid betch!"

There is a certain person on the internet that was incorrectly instructed to use his middle finger to pull the trigger of an M3 SMG in the 1950s and then began advocating it in the 2000s. It makes as much sense as sitting on the toilet backwards because some aborigine did so the first time he saw a flush toilet so therefore it must be more natural.

User Tag List