Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No compromise on gun control?

No compromise on gun control?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...make-us-safer/

I didn't see a thread on this issue and thought it was an interesting topic. I get it that a sponsored shooter should not publicly make gun control statements. It's even worse, because it's not like she offered meaningful suggestions. She just made blanket statements that sound like Nancy Pelosi.

She's promptly been booted from Taran Tactical.

I think there was a firestorm a few months back when Pat McNamara said something deemed anti 2a as well.

Having said that, as a 2a community, are we unreasonable in terms of debate. Can a gun owner, celebrity, or spokesperson make statements or offer ideas on the debate anything less than no compromise?

I have some ideas that probably aren't popular, but I think they are fair. I think offering a 25% discount off a sage with your first gun purchase instills the importance of securing your firearms. I'm not opposed to a mandatory class before buying a gun, nor more rigid classes for CCW, presuming that completion of the classes guaranteed the license.

On the other hand, I get that those measures could be bastardized and a gateway to more restrictions. So, I don't know.

On the one hand, I'm not opposed to recording my private sales transactions, because it gets me off the hook if that gun is used in a crime. Then again, you see what the Honolulu police just tried to pull off... And that makes me nervous.

I think we all agree that we want responsible, law abiding gun owners. So, as a community, how do we get there? What do we offer? Or... If we say no compromise, an idea I'm not opposed to saying, we have to acknowledge that we're accepting irresponsible and dangerous folks with guns as a result.

Tom, If this is too political, feel free to delete it or move it to the Coterie.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First, we have been compromising since 1934. We lost machine guns, suppressors, SBR's, and short shotguns. Then in 1964 we got the GCA and lost some more. In 1986, we lost new production transferable machine guns. In 1992, we lost imported semi-autos, unless you do a bunch of changes. In 1994, we wound up with 10 round mags, and no folding stocks.
    And that was still not enough, as the gun controllers wanted to ban even more and even more.

Happily, the shooting community caught on and finally said enough is enough, and started fighting back.

So, no- we've been down the compromise road, and see where it leads.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    So, no- we've been down the compromise road, and see where it leads.
    Compromise:
    Name:  troika.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  63.3 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

In order to debate, we must do so on honest terms. We haven't been. Quite the contrary, it's a we-give-they-take relationship when it comes to gun control. None of the substantive proposals currently in vogue involve any sort of benefit to us; the "debate" is instead viewed as how much uninvolved and innocent persons must give up after the latest "conversation starter" event.

So, in that sense, I don't blame the "gun culture" for finally saying, "no, fuck your compromise, and fuck anybody who even hints at playing this game again and if you try we'll make it financially unsustainable for you to take that position."

There are steps I believe we as a community can take to improve public safety. I think manufacturers partnering to offer discounts on safes is a fantastic idea because it financially incentivizes avoiding preventable tragedies. I think the NRA offering a partial tuition reimbursement on an NRA pistol class with handgun purchases would be awesome because it financially incentivizes proficiency. I wouldn't be opposed to a pay-per-view NICS check simply so I have warm fuzzies about who I'm selling a gun to or whether a gun I'm buying off Armslist is stolen (my current practice is to buy from and sell to people holding CCW permits for those reasons).

What stops me from supporting equivalent legislative policies is insufficient trust (or really, no trust) in our legislators to implement those policies absent an eye towards punitiveness. I don't trust Kamala Harris to not pull a Chicago on a training requirement for CCW ("let's see how onerous we can make this."). I don't trust Bernie Sanders to not require searches of the home to ensure compliance with safe storage requirements. I certainly don't trust Chuck Schumer to improve the availability of our background check system without implementing some sort of registration. And, perhaps most importantly, I don't believe anybody who trusts those people with a pen on such matters has a damn bit of sense given past history.
    Last edited by ssb; 01-30-2018 at 08:10 PM.

There are two definitions of the word compromise. I would link but not good with computers. But the gist of the second one is simple. Would you compromise the foundation of your house? What about compromise your airway? While I realize the difference in the two definitions, I for one believe that's such a fine line that to compromise would inherently be a bad thing. As described above the years since 1934 have not exactly been kind to the gunowner. The arguement that we don't want crazy people with guns, yet defining crazy opens a can of worms as to who gets to decide the rules. Is that a road you are willing to go down? Security in the name of safety? Isn't that the very same argument that gun control folks make? There should be rules, but the definition of such rules was decided a bunch of years ago by folks a lot smarter than me so I can live with the very wording of the 2nd amendment with no compromise even if that means I must be accountable for my own safety. Anyone who chooses to believe that the majority rules in this case is very close to something the founders of this country said we should guard against. true democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding whats for dinner. And that gentlemen is why we have a representative republic instead of true democracy. I for one think compromise on this issue has been proven to be a bad idea.
    On one additional note. I can afford a box o bullets a month to practice, maybe two. Like a lot of folks in this country I live paycheck to paycheck. So explain to me how I can get good training for free? Not from lack of interest but as a matter of financial survival for the forseeable future. I'm good with that not complaining at all but do you see INSTRUCTOR xyz giving folks like me a free weekend of training even assuming responsibilities and work would allow such a trip? Are they supposed to devote their time for free? No not at all but mandantory training? I have to save for a couple of years just to afford the exorbitant fees that are required locally even for a ccw. I know some states are cheaper and doable but at what point is enough? You do the best you can with what you have, just bear in mind that lacking formal training is not always a choice for everyone that should have the right to carry.
    Last edited by dragonmouse; 01-30-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    I think there was a firestorm a few months back when Pat McNamara said something deemed anti 2a as well.
    This incident in particular was a misunderstanding that was deliberately created by the dickheads Pat Mac tried to educate. His lines on this were deliberetely edited out of context to make in an effort to make him the “I’m an ex spec ops and even I believe in gun control” guy. Sadly, it worked and there’s a lot of people who actually think this. Thanks to the liberal shitstains that wish to push their agenda instead of facts, Pat’s reputation and his training company suffers.

Primary & Secondary has a few podcasts with Pat that expand on this. Just wanted to point this out just incase.

A reminder there that if you're going to be on record, to make sure you have your own copy of said record.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    When you come to realize that gun control is actually a form of ethnic cleansing, there is no room for compromise.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    No compromise. Too many on the antigun side have stated that their intent is civilian disarment.

Site Supporter
    I'm not opposed to reasonable regulations.

The problem is that the regulations proposed by those with no experience or perspective in the gun world are far from reasonable to anyone who is. And when they bring forth the idea of "compromise" it usually means that we gain nothing and lose something.

So no, until they bring anything worth a damn to the table, then fuck their "compromise"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List