Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone familiar with Prefragmented ammo perfromance? - Magsafe or Glaser etc

anyone familiar with Prefragmented ammo perfromance? - Magsafe or Glaser etc

I've got ~50 rounds of Magsafe ammo and a "pack" or two of the silver tip Glaser ammo. It's not new ammo, I purchased it for home defense while living in an apartment complex years ago when I was worried about dryway shooting through the neighbors walls...

I remember back in the 80's there was a report from the FBI or military about the superiority of prefragmented ammo but I "think" that was disputed several years later. Are there any good resources comparing normal loads to the various prefragmented rounds? I don't carry the ammo but I was digging through my night stand and found a bag of the stuff and wondered what the current thinking was on it's use. I've read here and there that several military units still use the stuff for specific applications and situations, I'd imagine the US air marshals use it but I've no clue if they do.

Thanks.

I don't have any info for you on the pre-fragmented ammo thing, but IIRC the FAMS uses 125gr GoldDots in their .357SIGs.

It's a common misconception that a bullet hole (or 5) will cause hull loss in an aircraft, it will not. It will cause the cabin pressure to decrease somewhat quickly and cause the little yellow masks to drop, but that's the extent of it.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I can't think of any time where I would want to make shallow, messy, non-penetrating wounds on an attacker.

I can't think of a time where I would want my self defense ammo to not penetrate auto glass or heavy clothing or at least 12" into flesh.

I can't think of any instance where I would be shooting so wildly and poorly that I would want to buy ammo that is stopped by 1 layer of sheetrock.

Go shoot that crap up at the range and get it out of your life. Or sell it to someone you don't like.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If you're ever attacked by crazed watermelons and 2-liter soda bottles filled with water, it's the berries. Otherwise, not so much.

(Basically, what gringop said above. From everything I've read on it, if you can guarantee that the dude you're going to need to shoot is of average or lighter build, wearing a light cotton shirt, facing squarely at you, doesn't have an arm or anything in the way, and you're gonna dot him right between the nipples, it might be okay. Anything more challenging than that, and you'd be better off with FMJ, which at least stands a chance of getting to something vital.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Tried some Glasers years ago. Horrendous muzzle flash, severe POA/POI problems like 18 inch difference at ten yards.

I'd see if a cartridge collector would want them.

Read this;
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm

and check out this; http://www.firearmstactical.com/imag...m%20Glaser.jpg

vs this; http://www.firearmstactical.com/imag...FBI%20load.jpg

On top of the many tests done by guys like Doc Roberts on this kind of ammo, I have seen first hand the wounding potential of the Glasers. I am underwhelmed. I would not carry this type of ammo for any use other than if it was given to me for free and I needed for some reason to shoot varmints at close range with a pistol.

Among the many issues with this ammo, it is completely out of the weight and velocity range most guns were designed around, thus giving both poor function and point of impact vs point of aim issues, and you have to be rich to be able to afford enough to test fire your pistol with this ammo to prove function. The Glaser often fails to fragment as designed, and the QC on the MagSafe ammo is poor.

I would sell it at a gun show to mall ninjas.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I would sell it at a gun show to mall ninjas.
    I bought a pack of Magsafe in 7.62x25 some years back. I still have no idea what I'm going to shoot it at, but hitting a gallon milk jug full of colored water with a lightweight bullet at 2100ish fps that fragments pretty much on contact appeals to the same part of the brain that likes setting off fireworks under overturned trash cans...

(I don't know that I'd trust Magsafe for shooting critters, either, due to the aforementioned POI issues.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I bought a pack of Magsafe in 7.62x25 some years back. I still have no idea what I'm going to shoot it at, but hitting a gallon milk jug full of colored water with a lightweight bullet at 2100ish fps that fragments pretty much on contact appeals to the same part of the brain that likes setting off fireworks under overturned trash cans...

(I don't know that I'd trust Magsafe for shooting critters, either, due to the aforementioned POI issues.)

Well, there is the fun aspect.

I may have been told that Glasers may be a good choice if you have a snub handy, and a pissed off possum on the porch, and you don't want to shoot a hole in the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Well, there is the fun aspect.

I may have been told that Glasers may be a good choice if you have a snub handy, and a pissed off possum on the porch, and you don't want to shoot a hole in the porch.
    Just think of how many people are going to try that with .410 shells in their Judge, only to see a REALLY pissed off, unharmed possum......
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

According to Tom Givens the first guy that Lance Thomas shot in his watch shop was basically point blank with a Glaser from a 38 snub. It hit right under his nose and dude dropped like a rock... Because he fainted. The wound was only bad enough to delay his trip to jail with a very brief detour to the hospital.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

User Tag List