-C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Name:  zfm2f.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  75.7 KB

People these days...
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I saw this great study a few months ago, about using game theory, the evolution of altruism, and the cyclic nature of ecological environments. In billions of simulations based on changing parameters and learning, never once - ever - had there been a recovery of an ecological environment that did not ultimately collapse due to selfish behavior, period. Each state/country/polity is an ecological environment. Those simulations, backed by millions of man hours of data demonstrated, seemingly, that inevitable result of all environments, is collapse and destruction. And that the biggest factor in dealing properly with collapse came from having short recovery times, which leads to longer periods of non-chaos.

In short, seeing the world burn is inevitable, but how long it burns varies and the shorter it burns, the longer we have between periods of burning. The other aspect I will note is that when modeling human warfare in particular, global wars have a tendency to produce longer periods of peace following them (e.g., no one is in a hurry to kill off a lot of their friends and relatives again).

At this point if you investigate the sociological and historical realities of our society - we are ripe for a purging and burning, globally and nationally. Over population, resource strain, disparate religious and political viewpoints, and long-term meddling of various political elites is all a recipe for burning. See: Greece, Rome, Persian Empire, Qin Empire, Holy Roman Empire, Ottamans, etc. We aren't any different. World War III is afoot, but will be more like WWI in terms of politics than WWII. The hateful xenophobia spread by Trump and the utter disregard for law and process by Clinton are clear exemplifications that this country is going to burn. It doesn't matter who wins, a lot of folks will be/are dis-en-fucking-franchised with our political system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Well, since this isn't funny anymore (assuming it ever was), I guess it's OK for me to ask a stupid question (again).

Is man-hours really an appropriate unit for data? Are you talking about the time/effort expending collecting it? Like I said, it's probably a stupid question. I've just don't think I ever heard of man-hours of data before.
    Not a stupid question, an interesting one, actually. I'm referencing the amount of time/effort spent collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and cataloging the data in question. In my experience collection is part of it, but analysis and subsequent work (cataloging and interpretation) are critical to actually both make data usable and extract the maximum amount of potential information from it. In particular, I've noted within my own work and many other researchers that interpretations and analyses change considerably as data is collected and even cataloged, all because each step requires consideration of the data. Consider how you would catalog data to make it accessible to yourself and others for certain types of questions? That's non-arbitrary and requires consideration.

I'm not sure if man-hours is an appropriate unit for data, but other units such as gigabytes, terrabytes, etc. are probably not appropriate. Because even though there maybe 10,000 petabytes of data related to a subject that does not make those data 1) Relevant 2) Appropriate 3) Interpretable 4) Usable - Man-hours on the other hand do turn terrabytes of zeroes and ones into things that can be used to investigate questions and find potential solutions.

So to my mind the use of a man-hours term places a research question/regime into its most useful context, that of a series of data that has been investigated to address questions.

Also, FWIW even though this thread is a bit tongue-in-cheek the cyclic nature of environments is interesting. But importantly, consistently the signal is, reducing the amount of time in recovery (i.e., recovering more rapidly) really does increase the amount of time environmental collapse. It's not that each environment has a finite number of years before collapse, it's that literally havning more rapid recovery builds in more robustness to smaller perturbations to the environment.

I think I am ready to join this club. The world is going to shit.

Who do I see about an application?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Who do I see about an application?
    The best bartender at the best happy hour in your town?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The best bartender at the best happy hour in your town?
    Good call.

My bro gave me a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel to try. I'll give that a go and report back.

Nihilism is so broadening.

Ve belief in nussing, Lebowski.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Agorism is more fun.

#blackmarketsmater

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Name:  zfm2f.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  75.7 KB

People these days...
    Oh man that is great! Buying a house sucks, can't buy goodies when I am thinking about kitchen cabinets...

User Tag List