Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trauma kit partnership and active shooter training

trauma kit partnership and active shooter training

Our agency formed a partnership with a local trauma center thanks to the tireless actions of a citizen who wanted to help. She came to me and asked what the deputies needed, and I pitched this project to her. She asked if we were really to the point of storing trauma kits in schools, and when I told her yes, she teared up for a moment and then went to work. Not only is she a force of nature, she makes a mean brownie.

Click here for an article on the project.

We had an open captain position. Today we promoted one of our SGTs who is also an EMT/firefighter and instructor to that position and put him in charge of implementing this training. In addition to training our personnel, he is working with Fire Rescue on "rescue task force" training in which deputies and rescue personnel will form teams to get trauma care on the scene as soon as possible.

The school system and private schools are actively participating, and school personnel will also be trained to utilize the kits, and each school will have 25 kits stored on campus.

Once the school and emergency personnel have been trained, we will begin offering training and kits to county residents.

On the other end of this, one of our private schools bought us 12 complete sets of sims gear for active shooter training.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

This is a great thing. I applaud you and everyone involved in making this happen. Could you provide information or a link so I could purchase one or more of these? Thanks in advance.

Good stuff. If you have not yet done so, do a write up on what you did, a proposal etc and post it online so others can pitch it to their schools.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Good stuff. If you have not yet done so, do a write up on what you did, a proposal etc and post it online so others can pitch it to their schools.
    Please. I bet I can get my principal to buy a couple, at least.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    This is a great idea. I have a naive question - are all deputies required to complete BCLS (Red Cross CPR, etc) training?

Excellent idea, and the more info the better. I'll toss this over to our school emergency team members as a reminder that we need to get on this. We discussed getting medical kits assembled at various areas but other projects have put that on the back burner this summer. I am worried about us getting this done and getting relevant training with proper gunshot/stab gear in the kits.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

The kits came from North American Rescue. The deputies are receiving the Eagle IFAK.

The other kits are the same materials but in a padded red pouch with the hospital's logo printed on them. We are putting a bunch of these in back packs and then storing the packs in each school. If we have a mass casualty event, the packs can be used to distribute kits on scene. School personnel will be trained in their use as will all Sheriff's Office and fire personnel. The kits for the schools and the deputies were funded via the partnership with ARMC.

The funding was secured purely by the efforts of the citizen. I gave her the idea and helped with the presentations, but it would not have happened without her. She has a background in marketing and fundraising and approached potential partners with plans for their logos to be on the kits as well as their name being included in all training events, etc. We didn't get instant success, but once we got in front of the honchos at ARMC, they jumped on board.

We spent a little over $40,000.00 to start this. We have 13 schools and a bunch of daycares. We ordered 100 of the IFAKs and the contents to put together 700 more kits. A local trucking company received all of the shipments, and their personnel assembled all of the kits.

We have a very good relationship with Fire Rescue, and a number of our personnel, including the Sheriff and I, have gone through the medical first responder course. We try to have someone in the course each time they run it. In turn, we have been going to each fire station and teaching the rescue task force concept.. Fire Rescue has readily responded and are on board with the whole concept.

On the firearms side of things, once the medical training has been completed, we will be running an injured shooter class that incorporates medical scenarios. The students might have to fix themselves, a partner, or both. I've already run a pistol class where students had to do everything single handed (strong and support). We'll do a review of that as well as expand it to rifles.

Speaking of rifles, I got money in our budget to replace our old Mini-14s with new AR-15s.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

For those considering pre-positioning gear and bulk kits:

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/prod...lack_full-kit/
    https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/prod...rauma-station/

I added a few items to my ARKs, and use them on my back for throwables or to drop and run a CCP.

I know some folks that filled 5-gallon pails with throwable ziplock bags containing 1-gauze, 1-control wrap, and a TQ. You can spend as much or as little as you want on the execution, but the concept is the same.
    Last edited by ST911; 07-06-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

There is a course called B-Con that teaches bleeding control among some other things. There is information at the link as to who can teach the course. Among them are medical first responders who have been through the B-Con course. The newly minted captain, one of our SGTs, and I are all going through it so that we can teach it to our folks. I'm going to a Lone Star Medics course this weekend, and I told our captain to get to a Dark Angel Medical course of his choosing.

Being that you're in Georgia, is it reasonable to get your guys to the FLETC tac med class, or have them come to you? ST911 has endorsed it and has brought them in multiple times.

The FLETC active shooter course has some tac-med training incorporated into it, for what it's worth. Possible selling point, two birds with one stone sort of thing.

Truly awesome effort all around, Chief Weems. You're part of an awesome community.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List