Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pmags unsuitable for LE use?

Pmags unsuitable for LE use?

I noticed someone in the BUG thread mentioned keeping AR PMags in an active shooter kit. It reminded me of a decision I made a couple years ago regarding PMags and I'm wondering if I'm alone in this.

Basically it comes down to the plastic feed lips and their need to use that plastic clip to keep the ammunition from pressing on the feed lips to avoid cracking over time. For .mil use where mags are filled for a direct action mission or even a patrol outside the wire I don't see this being an issue. But in LE we often fill mags and stash them into active shooter bags, door pockets, plate carriers, etc. They may be there for months or even years waiting for a day we hope never comes.

This long term storage leaves me with the concern of using the plastic clip to prevent cracked feed lips. I see this as problematic because I may not have time to remove the clips before needing the mag. I have seen them fly off when I firmly pull the mag from a pouch - sometimes. But my experience with "Mr Murphy" makes me believe when the chips are down I'll be trying to shove a PMag with the plastic clip on top I to my rifle.

The only place I see a PMag being appropriate for LE (or any long term storage in kit regardless of profession) is for the magazine that's in the rifle. Am I over thinking this? Do y'all have a technique that mitigates my concern?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I noticed someone in the BUG thread mentioned keeping AR PMags in an active shooter kit. It reminded me of a decision I made a couple years ago regarding PMags and I'm wondering if I'm alone in this.

Basically it comes down to the plastic feed lips and their need to use that plastic clip to keep the ammunition from pressing on the feed lips to avoid cracking over time. For .mil use where mags are filled for a direct action mission or even a patrol outside the wire I don't see this being an issue. But in LE we often fill mags and stash them into active shooter bags, door pockets, plate carriers, etc. They may be there for months or even years waiting for a day we hope never comes.

This long term storage leaves me with the concern of using the plastic clip to prevent cracked feed lips. I see this as problematic because I may not have time to remove the clips before needing the mag. I have seen them fly off when I firmly pull the mag from a pouch - sometimes. But my experience with "Mr Murphy" makes me believe when the chips are down I'll be trying to shove a PMag with the plastic clip on top I to my rifle.

The only place I see a PMag being appropriate for LE (or any long term storage in kit regardless of profession) is for the magazine that's in the rifle. Am I over thinking this? Do y'all have a technique that mitigates my concern?
    I won't use them for a variety of reasons. I do use either GI mags, or Tango Down Arc mags. The arc mags are polymer, but they are in no way similar to the Pmags. very different properties.

Is anybody who has a duty rifle excited about the Daniel defense mags?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I bought one to try at the range. I also bought a Hexmag and an ETS mag to see how they do. The ETS also has a clip for the top like the PMags.

As SLG stated, my work mags are aluminum with Magpul followers.

Grizzly21 and I just bought some. At this point they seem ok. Time will tell. In regards to the Pmags we havent had any trouble as of yet. Theyve been beat around in various trunks for the past 2 years. The mags work well thus far...some of the M&P rifles...not so much.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 07-05-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    They (PMAGS) are the only after market mag authorized for duty use for ARs by my agency. In fact, they are the only aftermarket mags authorized for anything. We use Colt GI mags but it seems they are moving to PMAGS. New/ rebuilt guns are coming from our national armory with all PMAGS.

I use the covers and they seem to work fine. I've had one PMAG crack in 10 years. There are of course some compatibility issues between some guns and some generations of PMAGS. We use all Colts at work so no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I won't use them for a variety of reasons. I do use either GI mags, or Tango Down Arc mags. The arc mags are polymer, but they are in no way similar to the Pmags. very different properties.
    Can you share those reasons?

Site Supporter
    They supposedly load on a closed bolt. I'm curious if you can get more than 32 rounds. The ability to unintentionally put 31 rounds in a PMAG is a known issue. It's the result of the extra space required to allow loading on a closed bolt.

IME hexmags suck. I had issues with the Gen 1 Tango Down ARC mags. The current Gen 2 seem to work fine. To their credit, TD will swap out gen 1 mags for Gen 2's if they don't run in your gun.

My favorite non GI mags are the Lancers.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-05-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I use the covers and they seem to work fine. I've had one PMAG crack in 10 years. There are of course some compatibility issues between some guns and some generations of PMAGS. We use all Colts at work so no issues.
    I agree the covers work as designed. But if you're responding to a situation such as an active shooter you likely won't have time to remove all the covers from all the PMags. For pre-planned OP's I don't see it as an issue.

I have a handful of Lancers and have been happy with them. I had the same issue with first gen ARC mags being the worst I've ever used. Interestingly a couple of guys I worked with who are feds had their agency M4's come back from Quantico with Troy mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I agree the covers work as designed. But if you're responding to a situation such as an active shooter you likely won't have time to remove all the covers from all the PMags. For pre-planned OP's I don't see it as an issue.

I have a handful of Lancers and have been happy with them. I had the same issue with first gen ARC mags being the worst I've ever used. Interestingly a couple of guys I worked with who are feds had their agency M4's come back from Quantico with Troy mags.
    Those guys are big on Troy in general. I have no experience with the Troy mags but I noticed the price on them keeps dropping.

Speaking of price drops, apparently the HK translucent AR mags have exhibited issues with splitting along the back seam but otherwise function. As a result, they are down to $13 at CDNN.

User Tag List