Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Luger bolt-action rifle - What do you think?

Site Supporter
    Yeah, there's a FB video of them running a 19-length mag through one with an integrally-suppressed barrel just to prove function and feed. Nice-looking rifle, as it should be at the price.

The integrally suppressed barrel option seems pretty neat, but man does that jack the price up from "high" to "nonsense." Seems like a fairly ridiculous range toy, really, but if I was made of money, I could see being amused enough by it to buy one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The integrally suppressed barrel option seems pretty neat, but man does that jack the price up from "high" to "nonsense." Seems like a fairly ridiculous range toy, really, but if I was made of money, I could see being amused enough by it to buy one.
    Yeah, my thoughts were always that we the shooting public are totally at the mercy of factory output for rimfire ammo. Non-reloadable means when it's gone, it's gone. So I've always been interested in the idea of an entry-level rifle that shot some of the most affordable centerfire ammo available. Relatively quiet, subsonic if you go heavy, cast bullet friendly, small powder charges...the 9mm was always the logical choice to me and a bolt-action rifle offers follow-up shots with an action that's totally quiet and allows you to retain your brass easily if you want. A 'fun gun' for plinking and 100-yard-in varmint hunting only. A tin can gun that you can afford to reload for and won't necessarily annoy the neighbors with sonic cracks.

I really think somebody like Ruger could do the idea some justice. But in the meantime, this new Curtis Tactical is a breath of fresh air to me. I'm pretty psyched at the idea if not the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You can get pretty much anything made for a Thompson Center frame, assuming the frame is rated for the round you want to fire.

Don't have any experience with the river 77's myself but I think Volquartzen makes a trigger kit for them.
    Don't waste your time trying to get a 77/357 to shoot well. Trigger mod won't help. Shimming the 2 piece bolt won't help. Replacing the stock won't help either. There's a design flaw in the takedown bolt that torques the barrel. Depending on how it's set will determine your accuracy. If you can replace that bolt with a hex head you might be able to torque it enough to get decent accuracy but I never found one.

That's my experience anyway. I got frustrated with mine and sold it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My fallback when we go through one of our cyclical ammo panics is to reload gads of .38 Specials with hard cast bullets. With low power loads, I tend to lose brass before it wears out. I have .38 cases that easily have 20-25 loadings in them and are still going strong.

My Marlin 1894c will single feed wadcutters. Upon firing there is no real recoil. I don't think they are quite hearing safe out of the 18.5" barrel, but they are very quiet. Once I shoot up my stock of wadcutters my next plan will be to come up with a load with 140 grain truncated cone bullets that will feed through the action. The 1894c has noticeably better accuracy with jacketed bullets but it has usable accuracy for short range plinking and small game hunting with low-power, hard cast .38 loads.

I would describe the 77/357 similarly. The one I shot had usable accuracy for short range hunting, plinking and etc. They are small, handy rifles. Currently Ruger is cataloging one that is threaded for a can, although like most things it exists in the catalog but is unobtanium right now. My experience, along with a survey of the internet seems to suggest they are a 2 to 3 MOA rifle, which draws one of two reactions: 1) "that's horrible accuracy!" or 2) "That's just fine for what I'm going to use it for."

Contender barrels can be quite accurate.

Also, Henry single shot rifles are available in .357.

I really love the .357 cartridge for its versatility. If I had to start from zero with guns again, I might wind up with a single rifle in something like .308 or .45-70 for elk, and use a selection of .357 revolvers and long guns for every other application.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Uinta Precision makes turn-bolt-action uppers, that can be used on all (or most) AR15 lowers. They might be willing to install a 9mm barrel into one of their uppers.

I doubt that it is difficult to simply build a 9mm AR15, but eliminate the auto-loading components. Install one of those nicely-extended ambidextrous charging handles. Then, one has a straight-pull bolt-action rifle. Done. Am I mistaken?

Folks who shoot externally-cosmetically-correct AR15 rifles, in matches, in jurisdictions that forbid AR15 autoloaders, already do this, with .223/5.56 NATO rifles. It is about as simple as ordering a barrel, without a gas port, and eliminating the gas tube, in the case of rifle-cartridge AR15 rifles.

For that matter, there is subsonic, heavy-bullet .223 ammo available. I just saw some, while ammo-shopping on-line.

It is not that I am opposed to a pistol-cartridge turn-bolt rifle. I might well have bought a Ruger .357 turn-bolt, except that I want my turn-bolts to be left-hand action, as I am left-eye dominant, so want my dominant eye to be in-line with optics and apertures, and reaching over the action and optic/scope is quite inefficient. (Instead, I bought a .357 Magnum Browning B-92.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I doubt that it is difficult to simply build a 9mm AR15, but eliminate the auto-loading components. Install one of those nicely-extended ambidextrous charging handles. Then, one has a straight-pull bolt-action rifle. Done. Am I mistaken?
    That won't work on pure blowback system, like almost all 9mm AR15s. It would need some sort of locking mechanism to hold the bolt in place after the gun shoots. There's no gas tube or anything like on a direct impingement AR that you could leave out.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    That won't work on pure blowback system, like almost all 9mm AR15s. It would need some sort of locking mechanism to hold the bolt in place after the gun shoots. There's no gas tube or anything like on a direct impingement AR that you could leave out.
    OK. It has been a while since I looked into pistol-caliber AR weapons. That still leaves the Uinta Precision option, if they will install a 9mm barrel, or sell an upper without a barrel. Their uppers are turn-bolt, not straight-pull. I had looked into them, some time ago, as a non-autoloading upper receiver option for traveling to some oppressive states.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I was particularly interested in Uinta, because they offered 300 AAC/BLK as a standard chambering, in rifle and pistol barrel lengths. Is there all that much difference between subsonic 300 AAC/BLK, and a service pistol cartridge of similar bullet weight?

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    In my limited research, what I can remember was that most successful 9mm bolt actions had rear locking lugs because the cartridge is so short that it can get screwed up during feeding or extraction when passing through the locking lug recesses. I remember having thoughts of using a donor .222 or .223 Rem 788 before I gave up on the idea for the 14th time (bolt face is close to proper diameter on these). The forward locking lugs is what made me kinda ignore the mini-Mauser style actions.

I wanted to make mine use Beretta mags, since that's what I have scads of. I really don't think it'd be rocket science, although I'm a welder and not a machinist nor a gunsmith.

User Tag List