Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Luger bolt-action rifle - What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Along the same lines: Ruger 77/357
    My buddy has this rifle. Worst trigger ever. It felt like a Radom P64. Action was rough but doable. Not the greatest platform for a pistol caliber long gun in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How about one of those Thompson Center guns or a break action Handi-rifle?
    Yeah, one of those would work fine too. I didn't know you could get 9mm barrels for those - will have to do some looking around. Thanks for the suggestion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    My buddy has this rifle. Worst trigger ever. It felt like a Radom P64. Action was rough but doable. Not the greatest platform for a pistol caliber long gun in my experience.
    Well that stinks. I was thinking for $800 you'd get something reasonably well put together. None of my LGS' have one of these to look at.

You can get pretty much anything made for a Thompson Center frame, assuming the frame is rated for the round you want to fire.

Don't have any experience with the river 77's myself but I think Volquartzen makes a trigger kit for them.

Site Supporter
    Following is a link to a build thread by one of the original people to convert a RIA .22 TCM rifle to 9mm Luger. Just leaving this here as a starting point for anyone who finds this thread in the future and has an interest.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-action-rifle

I'll second the Ruger 77/357 for this application. In addition to doing everything you mention in your requirements, loading heavy, hard cast WFN bullets make this an excellent little hunting carbine for deer and such. Penetration of the WFN is way beyound what you'd think by reading the ballistic tables.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You can get pretty much anything made for a Thompson Center frame, assuming the frame is rated for the round you want to fire.

Don't have any experience with the river 77's myself but I think Volquartzen makes a trigger kit for them.
    Yes, the T/C Contender and Encore frames have lots of possible cartridges. I have barrels ranging from .17 Fireball to .45 ACP to .22 LR to .454 Casull. I use the .22 K-Hornet to make my reloadable .22 LR rounds.

I much prefer rimmed cartridges in the break-action T/C guns.

Site Supporter
    This is an idea that's never really gone anywhere beyond a thought exercise for me, but every now and then I look around online and see if anybody's come up with a 9mm bolt rifle. Well, 4 years after my OP on this topic, now they have.

https://curtistacticalsuppressorsand...mington-700-sa

I missed it by a few months, and it's way more than I want to spend, but Curtis Tactical has started one. Based on the Rem 700 SA pattern but I guess it's otherwise totally proprietary. Ti receiver, SS bolt, an AICS adapter for your KRG / whatever stocks that accepts Glock mags (or 1911 if ordered in .45ACP). The rifle with a KRG chassis and 16" barrel is going for just under $1500. For the record I'd been hoping somebody like Ruger would introduce one at $500; I still think it'd sell like hotcakes. Make mag adapters for all the popular pistol magazines....yeah, they'd sell.

It's too bad that this Curtis action is so huge for the caliber, and it's a super expensive rifle which I'm not sure will find a niche. But. Somebody is actually doing it. Me and probably 4 other people in the entire world are super excited about this LOL.

So the fact that it takes Glock mags means 33-round bolt gun. That kind of makes me giggle.

User Tag List