Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9mm Luger bolt-action rifle - What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    That won't work on pure blowback system, like almost all 9mm AR15s. It would need some sort of locking mechanism to hold the bolt in place after the gun shoots. There's no gas tube or anything like on a direct impingement AR that you could leave out.
    Could you just put a too-heavy spring in the action to prevent feeding? As long as it doesn't end up being too heavy for comfortable manual cycling, seems like a possible solution to me.

A Ruger PCC would be a nice platform to try this on. I certainly wouldn't mod a Sub2000 that way because of the charging handle position. That would be annoying.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    As long as it doesn't end up being too heavy for comfortable manual cycling
    I'm no mechanical engineer, but I'm guessing "heavy enough to prevent cycling by firing the gun" and "light enough to be easy to cycle by hand" are going to be mutually exclusive.

To get back to the OP's question, now that Ruger's bought Marlin, and since Ruger seems to occasionally release guns in unusual chamberings, how about something like an 1894 Dark, only chambered in 9mm with a 3-lug muzzle? Maybe even an integrally suppressed upper like Ruger's done with the 10/22 and PCC.

https://www.am-mfg.com

Mike Klos does 9mm conversions on RIA 22 TCM rifles for $395 on customer guns.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are actually some of those RIAs available.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_.../4806015511083
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are actually some of those RIAs available.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_.../4806015511083
    Hmmm, this is mighty tempting. If only it took Glock magazines which I have a ton of instead of some weird RIA mags.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    https://www.am-mfg.com

Mike Klos does 9mm conversions on RIA 22 TCM rifles for $395 on customer guns.
    I didn't need to see this. My FFL can get the varmint/tactical stock TCM rifle for $395 so I'd be looking at ~$1K after all the shipping, transfer, conversion, etc and that just happens to be what I'm setting aside to pick up another 1911. Damn it...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    To get back to the OP's question, now that Ruger's bought Marlin, and since Ruger seems to occasionally release guns in unusual chamberings, how about something like an 1894 Dark, only chambered in 9mm with a 3-lug muzzle? Maybe even an integrally suppressed upper like Ruger's done with the 10/22 and PCC.
    I was hoping for one in .45 acp myself. Ed Harris has written about his and there is a company (that I can't think of the name of) doing that conversion these days.

As far as single shot goes, MGM will make a Contender barrel any length up to 27 inches for ~$500 delivered. I have pondered converting a 9mm Largo Detroyer carbine to .38 spl wadcutter and modifying S&W 52 or Colt wadcutter mags to use with it. I have talked to a gunsmith and looks like all it would take would be running a chamber reamer in it and a little work on the bold face. That would be quiet with plenty small game thump.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    I was hoping for one in .45 acp myself. Ed Harris has written about his and there is a company (that I can't think of the name of) doing that conversion these days.
    Ranger Point Precision is a company in Houston. They were doing caliber conversions on Marlin 1894s to rimless, shorter cartridges, but they stopped taking gunsmithing work last year to focus on designing and manufacturing parts.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List