Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Not) An IED in Central Park (NYC)

"Based on evidence so far, investigators believe someone was testing how to make the explosive, which they say is common."

Ha, sure it is. What an extraordinary display of happy talk. It's alarming.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    "Based on evidence so far, investigators believe someone was testing how to make the explosive, which they say is common."

Ha, sure it is. What an extraordinary display of happy talk. It's alarming.
    Head on over to Youtube and search "TATP" and you'll find no shortage of people making it and touching it off as well as a multitude of instructional videos on making it.

Is it 2016 or 1984?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I get that it's "common" in the sense of the precursor chemicals being readily available, but I didn't hink it was "common" in the "oh probably just some kids left it there" kind of way. I thought TATP was suspicious as hell, and NCSP Started a workshop on spotting indicators of manufacturing because it's kind of the signature explosive of bad guys. Like Najibullah Zazi and the conspiracy to bomb NYC subways with TATP in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I get that it's "common" in the sense of the precursor chemicals being readily available, but I didn't hink it was "common" in the "oh probably just some kids left it there" kind of way.
    It's common with anyone who wants to make something blow up because it's cheap and easy, from mailbox vandalizers to terrorists to someone who just likes explosions. I CERTAINLY don't know any hillbillies who've used it to augment tannerite. I also don't know anyone who's used a BBQ grill propane tank, a traffic flare, and a suppressed .223 to make a boom that summoned a police helicopter fly over. If I did have any personal knowledge of events such as this, though, I'd say they had no ties to terrorism so I'm not going to make the leap here.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's common with anyone who wants to make something blow up because it's cheap and easy, from mailbox vandalizers to terrorists to someone who just likes explosions. I CERTAINLY don't know any hillbillies who've used it to augment tannerite. I also don't know anyone who's used a BBQ grill propane tank, a traffic flare, and a suppressed .223 to make a boom that summoned a police helicopter fly over. If I did have any personal knowledge of events such as this, though, I'd say they had no ties to terrorism so I'm not going to make the leap here.
    The main difference is that these hillbillies you don't know did exactly what rednecks everywhere do: they blew the shit up. It's odd that someone went to the trouble to make it but didn't want the earth shattering kaboom. It also stands to reason that if they went to the trouble to learn how to make it, they had some idea of the instability when they left it under a rock. Morons are morons, but I'm still suspicious.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The main difference is that these hillbillies you don't know did exactly what rednecks everywhere do: they blew the shit up. It's odd that someone went to the trouble to make it but didn't want the earth shattering kaboom. It also stands to reason that if they went to the trouble to learn how to make it, they had some idea of the instability when they left it under a rock. Morons are morons, but I'm still suspicious.
    It could be a terror attack, but you'd think someone should have claimed it by now. Hell, if I was ISIS I would have claimed it by now regardless of if I did it or not. People would believe me, more terror struck, win-win for me. I'd claim every unexplained explosion I could, even if it was a sewer gas ignition.

Could be a run of the mill sicko, but if there's been no more that kinda shoots that in the ass, too.

Or it could have been the hillbilly equivalent who didn't let it cure long enough, failed to detonate it, then got scared and left it or thought they didn't go it right and left it as trash.

Or it could be an option I haven't considered.

If there's just nothing to go on, then maybe it's a priority to emphasise that it's no big deal, instead of maybe someone practicing for a bunch of suicide vests or whatever dumping the early chemistry experiments in the park? Probably I am oversensitive, but I have the sense that everything is being spun because it's an election year. Almost certainly it wasn't an attack, but unsub is playing with bombs in central park.

User Tag List