Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Range ammo only reloading steps for an AR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    That's the idea. It always comes out dirty and grey.
    I heard dryer sheets, and tried it for a while but didn't continue.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I heard dryer sheets, and tried it for a while but didn't continue.
    I believe dryer sheets is supposed to help cut down on static electricity causing corn media to stick to cases.

A used dryer sheet in your tumbler will mainly cut down on the dust from the tumbling media. Paper towel does the same thing, but I think the dryer sheet works better.

Note - USED dryer sheet. Don't put a new one in there, it'll just make a mess.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Note - USED dryer sheet. Don't put a new one in there, it'll just make a mess.
    Cannot remember if I tried used ones. Will probably give it another try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

What COAL are you guys using for 55gr FMJ? I could only go to 2.23 and still have a bit of the case rim touching the cannelure.
    #RESIST

COAL 2.200" for my 55gr 5.56 reloads using range pickup brass. I also trim the neck and bump the shoulder so all cases are slightly undersized.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I would just try to center up in the cannelure. COL is not that big a deal as long as it fits in the mag. It can be an accuracy tweak, but then you wouldn't be using those bullets either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I run mine at 2.230 but chasing the cannelure can be be an interesting dilemma. One thing to remember is that most of the 55 FMJ bullets with a cannelure on the market are pretty cheaply made. You won't be winning any precision matches with them but are fun for plinking and training. Typically the cannelure isn't precisely placed on these bullets. I'm not sure what the tolerances are but I have seen at least .020" of variance. The base to ogive, as well as the bullet diameter, vary as well.

The other thing to look at is the OAL of your case. If some are longer then they will end up way into the cannelure while shorter cases may not even reach it. This is why I put a slight amount of crimp on my 223 ammo to prevent bullet setback.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I seat to 2.250" to minimize the dual scratches to the case neck caused by contact with the lugs on the barrel extension. The case mouth is not in contact with the cannelure. I crimp with a Lee FCD.

User Tag List