Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22? Like the sights on it, but do like k-frame triggers not sure how these stack up.

I have a bid in on an old k-22, but just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by HRL View Post
    Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22? Like the sights on it, but do like k-frame triggers not sure how these stack up.

I have a bid in on an old k-22, but just in case...
    I've got the GP100 in 22. I do like it, but....

I wish it was a 4" barrel instead of the 5.5 and the trigger is not Smith and Wesson nice. As a matter of fact, it's not as nice as my center fire GP's are either. It's not on the for sale or trade block, and I warmed up to it a good bit more after I got some different grips for it. Still, I keep thinking they missed it by "that much" so to speak.

Now, I'm a real sucker for 22 revolvers. I just recently got a new 617 4" to try and keep wear and tear off of my older classic Smith rimfires. I haven't got a chance to shoot the new Smith yet, but between the two, unless there is something terribly wrong with the 617, I'd recommend it over the Ruger to the buyer who was only going to get one and not both

Quote Originally Posted by HRL View Post
    Anyone have experience with the GP-100 .22?
    No, but...

I have an SP-101 3" .357 (that has been to Gemini) that has been making me want the .22 cousin but the www says their trigger pull is tough, and before I read this thread I didn't realize that was a good thing

The chatter is that the springs are way heavy and there is much improvement in a swap, including a thread right here on PF:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....lff-spring-kit

What about the Ruger SP101 in .22LR?

GJM has me looking for a 317 on GB right now.
    Last edited by Irelander; 05-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States

I-frame FTW

Name:  kitgun1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  60.1 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not nearly as classy as Taadski's blued S&W, but here is my early, pre-lock 317 along with its holster I use, a Dark Star ambi AIWB. Besides training, I carry it to harvest game birds up in AK, carrying it left hand AIWB, where I hardly notice it is there, between its size and weight.

Hope this isn't too drifty. At least it's sort of about a classic...

GJM's post makes me want to get my aluminum-framed Browning 1911-22 A1 out more. It's kinda like an Airweight J frame version of a 1911, and a tribute to JMB's design that it works as well as it does even at 85% size with my USP45-size hands. A few ounces heavier, but 10 rounds, magazine reloads, and no cylinder to make it wide. It's frustrating that the sights suck so bad. The Black Label versions all have better sights, but they also have composite frames, which make the baby Jesus cry when he compares them to the aluminum frame side by side.

Browning's page with pics, mine looks pretty much like them.

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...911-22-a1.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Black Label Medallion series has the aluminum frame and upgraded sights. The plain Black Labels have the composite frames.

I have the SP101 4.3" 22, despite what I hear others say about the trigger I love this gun. Accurate and beautiful

D

I have a K frame S&W model 18 4" that is a perfect understudy to my other K frame S&W 4" .38 specials and .357 magnums. You'd be hard pressed to get it away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I really like these:

S&W Model 317 Kit Gun 3" 22LR LR 160221

Pulling a heavy, long DA trigger, while steering the sights on a light revolver is fantastic for learning trigger control. I didn't make that up -- I heard it from Bill Rogers. By shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through my 317, I have greatly improved my one hand shooting.
    I got my 3" barrel 317 years ago. The trigger was heavy and I looked into what guys were trying at the time to lighten it up. IIRC they had light hammer strikes and ignition problems. I just thought "Screw it." and carried on. It does fine. I love how light it is. You could practically wear the thing hanging from a neck lanyard and hardly notice it. I throw it in my pack with a box of 22 when out in the boonies.
    Its been in the kit gun role, but after reading your post referring to Bill Rogers, I'll have to shoot it more - for trigger control training.

User Tag List