Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 43C as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?
    Last edited by JAD; 07-03-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Incorrect model #
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 42 as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?
    Confused -- do you mean the model 43, in .22lr? Similar trigger to 317, but I prefer adjustable sights for my training revolver. If you want trigger strength training, the 351 in .22 mag has about a 90 pound pull.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I actually prefer a K frame .22 for the intended roll. I find they fill the hand a bit better than the J frames and replicate a full sized service pistol better for me in terms of weight, trigger reach, etc... I own a 4" 617 that's on its second hand and have a newer (to me) model 18 that both digest everything I put through them. They are both quintessential shooters.

I do have a model 63 too. It's a super handy little bugger, is especially great for traditional "kit gun" roles and is quite a shooter in its own right. Great little gun…but not because its trigger is heavier and it's arguably harder to shoot. (Jesus we collectively need help. )

While I'm biased toward S&Ws, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. Good quality trigger time with a .22 wheelie will do wonders for your shooting.
    Dead give away as to who the X5 shooter is, when they think a 617 is "just right" as a .22.

The grips on the 317 seem so small. Any one replace the grips for better trigger finger placement or is that even a concern?

I would check to see if you even need snap caps. The yellow anchors are #4-#6 7/8 inch wall anchors according to a quick search.. I haven't used them but I read they don't last long.
    I just bought these 22LR ORANGE SAF-T-TRAINERS, PKG 50 729-050-022WB from Brownells. I haven't used any yet but I have read they rotate supposedly eliminating having all the strikes in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    These are great guns and weigh nothing. You can use plastic drywall anchors (don't remember the size, but they're yellow) as snap caps for dry firing.
    Last edited by UNK; 07-03-2016 at 03:06 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Owning a 4" J Frame Model 63, and a 4" K Frame pre model 18, I very much find the K frame easier to shoot well.

The little J frame is awesome to pack on the hip, and it is hard to even notice it is there, but the K frame is certainly easier to get accurate hits when the ranges extend past 25 yards or so (for me).

I also own a 6" K frame that shoot like a rifle. That thing is amazing. There are few guns that can make a handgun shooter look better than he is than a 6" K-22 (again in my opinion).

Not nearly as classy as Taadski's blued S&W, but here is my early, pre-lock 317 along with its holster I use, a Dark Star ambi AIWB. Besides training, I carry it to harvest game birds up in AK, carrying it left hand AIWB, where I hardly notice it is there, between its size and weight.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I recall I think that Chuck Haggard uses a S&W 43C as a gym gun, which has always intrigued me. I remember you messing with them at one point, GJM-- am I right, and how would that do in the trigger training role?
    At Blogorado last year one of my gunsmith friends had brought his XS-sighted 43C along and we were doing stuff on the short-range rifle range (berms at 75 and 100 yards) that the internet says you're not supposed to be able to do with a DAO rimfire J-frame with a Big Dot.
    Last edited by Tamara; 07-04-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    At Blogorado last year one of my gunsmith friends had brought his XS-sighted 43C along and we were doing stuff on the short-range rifle range (berms at 75 and 100 yards) that the internet says you're not supposed to be able to do with a DAO rimfire J-frame with a Big Dot.
    I love the 43C and find it to be unbelievably accurate considering the short barrel, light weight and DA trigger. I find it to be a perfect trainer for my 340 M&P with regards to trigger control.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have a 317 snub that I wouldn't recommend too much. Definitely get a longer barreled model if you go that route unless you are pocket carrying it. I greatly prefer my 34 with the 4" barrel.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-05-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List