Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

Which .22 caliber DA revolver?

Now that 22 is getting more reasonable in price I'm thinking of picking up a 22 DA revolver.

Trigger control drills is the intended use.

What should I look at?

Thanks in advance.

I really like these:

S&W Model 317 Kit Gun 3" 22LR LR 160221

Pulling a heavy, long DA trigger, while steering the sights on a light revolver is fantastic for learning trigger control. I didn't make that up -- I heard it from Bill Rogers. By shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through my 317, I have greatly improved my one hand shooting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a Model 18 S&W. Shoots well but kind of finicky about ammo.
    It does mimic my .38, .357 and .41 Magnum Smiths well, however.

Also shoot a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22. It feels a lot like a S&W J-frame.
    Doesn't care what kind of ammo I use. Has a three inch barrel, adjustable sights
    and is stainless. Charter appears to have deleted the adjustable sights on current
    Pathfinder models. I think that was a mistake.

Ruger has several .22 DA revolvers but I haven't shot any.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I really like these:

S&W Model 317 Kit Gun 3" 22LR LR 160221

Pulling a heavy, long DA trigger, while steering the sights on a light revolver is fantastic for learning trigger control. I didn't make that up -- I heard it from Bill Rogers. By shooting thousands and thousands of rounds through my 317, I have greatly improved my one hand shooting.
    These are great guns and weigh nothing. You can use plastic drywall anchors (don't remember the size, but they're yellow) as snap caps for dry firing.

I've only ever shot one a lot, but I love my S&W 617 4". You can find my mini review of it on here.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've only ever shot one a lot, but I love my S&W 617 4". You can find my mini review of it on here.
    I have two of these, and they make great .22 hunting and general purpose revolvers. I don't think they are ideal for what the OP is trying to accomplish, because they are too easy to shoot. The advantage of the 317 is having to steer the sights on a light gun while pressing a long, heavy trigger. That is why the Rogers School uses the 317.

Site Supporter
    I ditched a 317 as I couldn't stand the trigger pull. Didn't know that was a good thing. Also, I needed the money. I've started to see new Model SW 63s with a 3 inch barrel lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I ditched a 317 as I couldn't stand the trigger pull. Didn't know that was a good thing. Also, I needed the money. I've started to see new Model SW 63s with a 3 inch barrel lately.
    see, that is why PF is so important to your shooting -- you get to learn why a bad trigger can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have one of those 63's. Not a great trigger pull, but not horrible either. A good accurate and reliable .22 revolver; well worth getting in my view.

I actually prefer a K frame .22 for the intended roll. I find they fill the hand a bit better than the J frames and replicate a full sized service pistol better for me in terms of weight, trigger reach, etc... I own a 4" 617 that's on its second hand and have a newer (to me) model 18 that both digest everything I put through them. They are both quintessential shooters.

I do have a model 63 too. It's a super handy little bugger, is especially great for traditional "kit gun" roles and is quite a shooter in its own right. Great little gun…but not because its trigger is heavier and it's arguably harder to shoot. (Jesus we collectively need help. )

While I'm biased toward S&Ws, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. Good quality trigger time with a .22 wheelie will do wonders for your shooting.

User Tag List