Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nypd ready for isis

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Indeed! And we need to bring Fire/EMS/hospitals in on the exercises. As well as city/county emergency response centers. Can we respond to a chem/bio attack on power? Water? It's no secret people at all levels perform better under stress when they have don't the task before - even as a drill.
    I am kind of surprised that there isn't more mass casualty training at major US medical institutions. at Mayo Clinic they would do that sort of thing regularly when I worked there, but they're also in Rochester MN (i.e. middle of a cornfield). Not a likely target for a terrorist attack, and not near enough to a likely target to be relevant. Here in Denver if they are doing that sort of training, I haven't ever heard of it...

Lost all desire to read about 10 posts back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    This will always be a significant obstacle for a free nation. To use a sports analogy, we are on defense but the other players aren't driving down the field in uniforms to be countered. They are in regular clothes, sneaking around behind us, blending in with the fans/crowd, and there no play clock which allows them to strike when we less expect it, on their time table.

There is so much we cannot control, that the only realistic option is to address what we can control. As you alluded to every member of an agency should get more and better training. And not just on tactics but on mindset as well. This will not only make them more effective but more confident (which is often unaddressed but a HUGE factor in winning a confrontation).

Agencies should make sure their people have the best weapons and equipment they can afford. If they cannot afford it, give the LEO's the option to buy their own. That we have LE agencies in 2016 who don't allow optics, or don't allow rifles is inexcusable. We need administrators who enable our people instead of worrying about liability and their own promotions.

We can't cover every possible target all the time. But for any agency with a location that could be inviting to these scumbags, do like some places did when convenience stores were getting robbed all the time. If you have a stadium/park/school/etc that is a lucrative target then install a substation on or next to the property.

We also need to make sure all agencies within an AO can communicate during a crisis. Some places already have mutual aid channels. Some have them and none of their people know what they are. Some local/state agencies don't want to have a radio frequency that they can use to talk to federal agencies because of stupid paranoia.

Finally we need to exercise these responses. Tactical teams already do this, but we need it for all LEO's. I left the military when I joined LE and was amazed at the resistance at multiple levels to conducting exercises before an operation. It's as if the people in charge think the academy and limited in-service training will cover everything. Best I've seen so far are table tops with the brass but rarely does it involve the people who will be on scene.
    We won't see any complaints about militarization of police in the near future since that is exactly what overcame the terrorist in Orlando.

With that, my opinion is that the people who get into a chiefs or commissioners spot are usually not the most qualified or most capable leaders, but those with political affiliations which allowed them to gain that position (not a rank as far as I'm concerned). They do not have what it takes and often times are towards the end of their careers and enjoy the ignorance of their limited street experience.

"We didn't need any of that in my day!" "Imagine what the media would say if officer's would walk around with assault machine guns?!" "Scary optics and lasers? Not in my PD! We are professionals."

I've heard all the above said by commanders in various meetings.

I sat in on one "LE commmunity meeting" with a bunch of street officers and a few top brass, I raised this particular question - "Why do you not allow the patrol officer to get more training and be more effectively equipped? Specifically respective to rifles, plate carriers, medical training and the tactics/training to implement those items?" The responses varied from "There's just no way" to "it's not needed for patrol" and my counter was to point out instances where it was needed and what would happen if the patrol officers responding wouldn't have it (north hollywood for example) - "that's not something we are going to do, next question."

They do not care about the street officer, that's pretty obvious and by proxy don't care about the general public.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Reading this sort of thing always makes me glad I work for who I do.

Issued patrol rifles and optics, with option for personal owned. Shotguns for patrol officers who aren't rifle certified. (You don't have to give up your shotgun when you get a rifle, either).
    Community funded rifle plates for concealed vests, option for external vests when situation dictates.
    Multi-agency training, including EMS and dispatch as well as other departments.
    BDU style uniforms with enough pockets authorized for patrol and special services.
    Issued med kits with tourniquets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Reading this sort of thing always makes me glad I work for who I do.

Issued patrol rifles and optics, with option for personal owned. Shotguns for patrol officers who aren't rifle certified. (You don't have to give up your shotgun when you get a rifle, either).
    Community funded rifle plates for concealed vests, option for external vests when situation dictates.
    Multi-agency training, including EMS and dispatch as well as other departments.
    BDU style uniforms with enough pockets authorized for patrol and special services.
    Issued med kits with tourniquets, etc.
    It all starts at the top. Some places have pretty qualified bosses and it shows...
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm confused when folks post about the need to incorporate all emergency services into large scale FTX. Since 2013 it's been mandated by law in Illinois, and we were conducting full scale FTX as far back as 2001; http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...701-story.html

I was in the alternative reporting center, (due to injury), during the time this law was enacted. My assignment, since I was a SWAT guy, was to go to all the schools in our town, establish dates for a walk through with members of emergency services, and a date for a full scale exercise with all staff members. I had a checklist I used to give recommendations to the school principals, and staff to correct any issues noted during walk throughs. I visited the schools at a later date to check on progress regarding the checklist given by myself, or ems/fire.

We've done numerous large scale FTX using local colleges, high schools, and middle schools as well as office buildings. Don't stare at the good looking hunk of man flesh in the center of this pic too long, you'll fall in love; http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/707179724/

I'm confused because I always assumed this was already a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I'm confused when folks post about the need to incorporate all emergency services into large scale FTX. Since 2013 it's been mandated by law in Illinois, and we were conducting full scale FTX as far back as 2001; http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...701-story.html

I was in the alternative reporting center, (due to injury), during the time this law was enacted. My assignment, since I was a SWAT guy, was to go to all the schools in our town, establish dates for a walk through with members of emergency services, and a date for a full scale exercise with all staff members. I had a checklist I used to give recommendations to the school principals, and staff to correct any issues noted during walk throughs. I visited the schools at a later date to check on progress regarding the checklist given by myself, or ems/fire.

We've done numerous large scale FTX using local colleges, high schools, and middle schools as well as office buildings. Don't stare at the good looking hunk of man flesh in the center of this pic too long, you'll fall in love; http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/707179724/

I'm confused because I always assumed this was already a thing?
    Not even close here.

I've been invited to other PDs in other areas and states to conduct school training scenarios for their swat guys. (Counter entries, terrorist style active shooters, etc) but locally only special units get that even a little bit of that type of training, it's pretty pathetic.

I remember a year or two asking if it would be OK to use a local school during summer months to conduct training and was told it would "send the wrong message" yeaahhhh
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Not even close here.

I've been invited to other PDs in other areas and states to conduct school training scenarios for their swat guys. (Counter entries, terrorist style active shooters, etc) but locally only special units get that even a little bit of that type of training, it's pretty pathetic.

I remember a year or two asking if it would be OK to use a local school during summer months to conduct training and was told it would "send the wrong message" yeaahhhh

I gotta tell ya - that last paragraph just about made me scream. Sending a message to EVERYONE, including the types that would go after a school - is a BAD thing?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Not even close here.

The first active shooter training I had was in a local high school, over one hundred role players, simulated devices, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The first active shooter training I had was in a local high school, over one hundred role players, simulated devices, etc.
    I hate you....but don't...I just wish the brass wasn't so weak.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List