Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Printable Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    That looks like a really good compromise. Thanks for doing this!
    You are very welcome. It was my pleasure.

I've been wanting some way of practicing transitions at the square range lately. It occurred to me that an element of the "Find Your Level" target I find useful is going from the 1" square to the larger targets.

So I ended up creating this "Transition Target". It includes a central 5" circle (superimposed with a light 1" reference grid for tracking groups sizes), and then a pair of 2" circle/1" square targets at the periphery. I made the labels run diagonally so the target could be hung either landscape or portrait.

The way I intend to use this is from say a 1" square to the center, or a 2" circle, same. Or you could transition from circle to circle, or square to square. Any order really, just so you change up shooting pace and force you to get a different sight picture for the harder/easier shots.

File is a standard PDF. Sizes should be accurate if printed with no scaling.

My_Transition_Target.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    You are very welcome. It was my pleasure.
    Yes thank you.

I've been wanting some way of practicing transitions at the square range lately. It occurred to me that an element of the "Find Your Level" target I find useful is going from the 1" square to the larger targets.

So I ended up creating this "Transition Target". It includes a central 5" circle (superimposed with a light 1" reference grid for tracking groups sizes), and then a pair of 2" circle/1" square targets at the periphery. I made the labels run diagonally so the target could be hung either landscape or portrait.

The way I intend to use this is from say a 1" square to the center, or a 2" circle, same. Or you could transition from circle to circle, or square to square. Any order really, just so you change up shooting pace and force you to get a different sight picture for the harder/easier shots.

File is a standard PDF. Sizes should be accurate if printed with no scaling.

My_Transition_Target.pdf
    I wasn't quite happy with this target after shooting it, so I added a darker 1" grid, a center dot aiming circle 0.25" size, and some other tweaks:

My_Transition_Target_v1.pdf

Very nice.

@JAH 3rd was commenting in another thread about adding contrast to the target at longer ranges, like 25 yards. So I took Tom's idea of an orange X ring up thread a bit, and made both the X ring and 10 rings orange.

My_B8_v2.pdf

@RJ...

This is probably a STUPID question, but what software are you using to alter the colors on the B8?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    @JAH 3rd was commenting in another thread about adding contrast to the target at longer ranges, like 25 yards. So I took Tom's idea of an orange X ring up thread a bit, and made both the X ring and 10 rings orange.

My_B8_v2.pdf
    I've worked with the all-black and the orange-X versions. I find that if I use the orange-X when going for speed, I tend to go a little slower, as I take a little more time to try to settle the sights on the orange.

On the other hand, when trying for more accuracy at ranges where I can't readily distinguish the fuzzy white/light gray circles amongst the 9/10 center when focusing on the front sight, the orange-X is a big help.

Will have to see what I think of the orange-10.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    @RJ...

This is probably a STUPID question, but what software are you using to alter the colors on the B8?
    No worries. It's just a feature of the Libre Office "Draw" program that comes free with Linux Mint 18.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-11-23 07-19-08.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  43.4 KB

I hope it's orange. I'm actually partly color blind, so I'm probably the last person you want designing colored targets.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-23-2020 at 07:34 AM.

With the pause in regular shooting due to ammo costs, I've been tinkering with target designs.

I've been practicing groups at 25 yards a fair bit lately. What I found was that I was getting "target distracted" by the large B8 bullseye at distance, and it was drawing my eye away from my front sights. I had done a different style of target, with just a large USPSA A zone (approximately) on a single sheet of paper. What I found was that I was able to do better in terms of sight focus, without the NRA B-8, by using just the A zone.

But I still wanted to score my results against a B8 out of 100.

So I took my "A Zone" target, with the prominent large box, and superimposed a light version of a B8 on top, so I could do both. I just called this "My_25yd_test" target:

My_25yd_Test_v1.pdf

It is a *.pdf, so usual rules apply; print normally, without any scaling. The NRA B-8 should measure out i.e. the 8 ring should be 5.54". I always forget, so I added some text to provide a printed reference of all the circles sizes on a B8 so I don't have to go looking all the time.

My plan in shooting this is to continue to focus on front sight, press, but now I can see if I can get "10 on paper", as a first step. If I do manage to get 10, now I can actually score the target, like I would normally on a B-8, as well.

User Tag List