Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Printable Targets

Pistol Optic 10 Yard Zero Target

Pistol Optic 10 Yard Zero Target

Pistol Red Dot Zero 10 yards (Adjusted MOA).pdf

Name:  Pistol Red Dot Zero 10 yards (Adjusted MOA).jpg
Views: 6546
Size:  43.1 KB
    Last edited by stomridertx; 03-13-2023 at 12:13 PM.

B-8

B-8 Bull
    This was mainly just busy work for me while listening to a podcast. I've been trying to get better at 25 yard B-8 shooting lately and ran out of ones I had printed, so decided to add one of my favorite targets to my own design collection. Practice with the software always helps with vector graphic design. The only thing special about mine from others is the 1" square grid overlay, which I find helpful on every target I make. I also use 50% grey, which in my experience is just as visible as black downrange but easier on your printer ink or toner. If someone wants a brighter color, that's a 30 second task for me to fulfill.

Pistol B-8 Scoring Bullseye.pdf

Name:  Pistol B-8 Scoring Bullseye.jpg
Views: 4569
Size:  28.6 KB

Attack of the cutsies.

I didn't want to be left out of previous shenanigans. It's Sunday and I'm bored.

*Edit - There was way more enthusiasm for this ridiculous target than I expected, so I cleaned up the text and converted it from a half-assed effort to a whole-assed effort. When I first did it I didn't spend much time making sure the curve of the text was matching the circles or if the letters were aligning correctly when rendering.

You moved the gun.pdf

Name:  You moved the gun.jpg
Views: 4430
Size:  30.5 KB
    Last edited by stomridertx; 03-16-2023 at 12:00 PM.

^^^^^Tactical f'ing like!
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

AR-15 Red Dot Zero 25 yards

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    What distance is the snubby target to be shot at?

Any 50/200 zero targets for red dots?

BTW, thanks for all the targets! They are very helpful!!
    AR-15 Red Dot Zero 25 yards, 50 or 100 yard calibrated POI.

AR-15 Red Dot Zero 25 yards (Adjusted MOA).pdf

Name:  AR-15 Red Dot Zero 25 yards (Adjusted MOA).jpg
Views: 5603
Size:  41.4 KB
    Last edited by stomridertx; 03-13-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Riflescope 100 Yard Zero - MOA

Very cool targets!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you sir!!

FYI

2" circle = 3.14 in2
    3" x 3" Post-It Note = 9 in2
    4" circle = 12.57 in2
    3" x 5" = 15 in2
    4" x 6" = 24 in2
    "black" area on a B8 (9, 10, X rings - 5.54" diameter) = 24.11 in2
    6" circle = 28.27 in2
    5.5" x 8.5" (the "Hearne Zone") = 46.75 in2
    8" circle = 50.27 in2
    "Bakersfield Oval" (9 x 13") = 91.89 in2
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

For whatever reason, a couple days ago this video popped up in my feed. I know, just another 1911 video, but what really set the hook in me was when the Tester at the factory pulled his target out of the indoor range, and showed the results. This happens at 8:50:

This is a still from the video at that point:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-22 06-17-33.jpg
Views: 4099
Size:  9.8 KB

I immediately thought, Woah! I need to find out what that target is, since here they are, using it to prove guns at the factory (Union Switch and Signal, in this case) during WWII.

Off I went on a hunt. First couple searched turned up nothing, but then I happened on a post in a forum which mentioned the Federal Specification for the M1911A1, also known as "Federal Specification, Pistol, Caliber .45 Automatic: M1911A1", D-P-355a. This led me to one of my favorite sites for looking up Federal standards, Everyspec. Well, they had a copy of 355a, dated 1964.

Woot!

Included in the standard are references to targeting and accuracy, as follows:

3.3.26.1 Targeting. At a range of 15 yards, at least 4 shots out of a series of 7 shots shall be within or cut the edge of a 3-inch diameter circle (sighting image), and the center of impact of the 7-shot group shall not be located more than 4 inches radially from the center of the sighting image when tested as specified in 4.3.3.1 and 4.4.7.

3.3.26.2 Accuracy. At a range of 15 yards, 7 consecutive shots shall be within or cut the edge of a 4-inch diameter circle when tested as specified in 4.3.3. 1 and 4.4.7.

4.4.7 Targeting and accuracy firing test. The pistols shall be tested for targeting and accuracy requirement (see 3.3.26) by firing seven rounds of ammunition from a fully loaded magazine with the pistol sights aligned at 6 o’clock on the sighting image.

Well now I was really interested. This was the earliest mention I've ever seen of a "6 o'clock hold". I'd long assumed that this was done at the bottom of the black on a B-8 repair center. But what if it wasn't? What if 1911s manufactured at Colts (and other companies during wartime) actually tested this hold on this target...not a B-8?

And so off I went. I found pictures of "test targets" online but never any data or reference information on the sizes of the circles that make up the target. Some were marked "T-10", some "T-10A".

After a bit more legwork, I made some what I thought were reasonable assumptions about a test target based on the spec, and all the images I'd looked at, and produced one that looked similar. Comparing it to a "real" T10, I think it ended up being pretty close.

Random example of a Colt Gold Cup+Test target (not my image) I found on the internet on the left, my Springfield sitting on my target on the right.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-22 17-51-52.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  52.9 KB

Ring sizes are:

10 – 1.0”
    9 – 2.0”
    8 – 3.0”
    7 – 4.0”
    6 – 5.5”
    5 – 7.0”
    4 – 9.0”

It seems to me that it'd be logical the primary targeting spec value of 3" in D-P-355a would be "in the black", and the allowable targeting value of 4" would be included as well. 1" and 2" rings are provided as another easy bullseye reference, and the outer ring being 9" would fit with 1/2" space if the target paper was 10x10, but not sure about all this obviously. 5.5" and 7" are each a bit bigger, making the 6 ring and 5 ring proportionally larger than the 7.

Since the Tester had to sign off on the gun, I added what looks kinda sorta like the Inspection stamp, with a place to put the number of the gun, tester signature and date. I also added a 3" aiming circle as a reminder to shoot this at the 6 o'clock hold, centered on the bottom of the black (3" circle). Obviously this only applies to 1911s.

I put a 1" segment on the top right as well, as a way to quickly check your print out is scaled correctly. If this measures 1", you are good to go.

Target looks like this, but don't download the picture, grab the pdf attached, for high-res print.

I'm definitely going to try this out as soon as I can.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-22 17-59-17.jpg
Views: 4185
Size:  39.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RJ; 06-23-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Target looks like this, but don't download the picture, grab the pdf attached, for high-res print.
    Somebody on another forum asked for a version applicable to a wider range of pistols, so I made a "General Purpose" T-10 without any clutter.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-24 08-29-18.jpg
Views: 4118
Size:  27.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Tag List