Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training and injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    That guy is a beast. A total inspiration too, not only to overcome injuries but to get my beard as kick ass as his too. Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    Good stuff, thank you. I'm trying to not be stupid about training with injuries, but I went from just going to class to watch, than I decided to hit the bag, than next thing I know I'm back in fully. I've seen too many guys never return after taking time off that I don't want to end up like that. I do think it's going to need a rest though to fully heal.

You're 100% right about cardio. Unfortunately it's the thing that fell to the side when 3 kids came along. I know the Thai gives me a great workout but your notion of extra cardio preventing injuries makes total sense. I use to run, biking might be something worth trying now.

The common theme here is stretch stretch stretch.

Thank you for the reply
    When people don't return, I just figure they found something that was more important to them. The people that really want to do it, really want to do it, always come back at some point. I understand why people don't return; it's time consuming, takes a ton of dedication and the realization that you are going to get hurt. Oh and have you figured out it's kind of brutal as well?

The quickness issue is partially because your injuries aren't healed. It's hard to be quick on one leg, if that makes sense. And while a 20 year old has the athleticism of youth, if you've been doing it for a long period of time, you have experience on your side.

What I'm saying is fighting is a thinking man's game and you need to evolve. That evolution doesn't just happen in the cage, it also happens in your training. Good luck.

72. San Soo.

There's a cycle in these things. As the birthdays pass, our bodies just stop recovering like they used to and injuries become cumulative. Used to be that an Owie would heal in a week or perhaps two. They don't anymore. Now, new Owies just pile on top of earlier ones, like scabs that never heal. Personally, I retired from active mat work two years ago and began re-studying old techniques from my notebooks. I do the techniques against one or more imaginary opponents, at half to nearly full power (depending on what's hurting that day). Now, nobody is suggesting that shadow fighting is a full replacement for mat work, but it's the closest I can get at this point in my life. I am no longer in the part of the cycle that benefits from full contact.

The good part about "shadow" fighting is that old techniques are refreshed rather than forgotten.

Don't lose what you've already learned. Cherish it and take it into the next cycle of your life. You might specialize in the leverage techniques of your Art, or perhaps you'll carry it into an entirely different Art, sort of like a second gun that nobody knows about. The next decade or two could be the most interesting yet. It's all up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    When people don't return, I just figure they found something that was more important to them. The people that really want to do it, really want to do it, always come back at some point. I understand why people don't return; it's time consuming, takes a ton of dedication and the realization that you are going to get hurt. Oh and have you figured out it's kind of brutal as well?

The quickness issue is partially because your injuries aren't healed. It's hard to be quick on one leg, if that makes sense. And while a 20 year old has the athleticism of youth, if you've been doing it for a long period of time, you have experience on your side.

What I'm saying is fighting is a thinking man's game and you need to evolve. That evolution doesn't just happen in the cage, it also happens in your training. Good luck.
    That's true, people who don't return would have found another reason to leave if they didn't have an injury. I do find that getting older I've gotten much calmer in sparring and some rounds all I do is practice defense, next round maybe just practice my jabs or knees, to some it may look like I'm losing that round but I'm okay with that. Too many young guys let ego make them spar too hard and not settle in and actually practice technique and get better. I like your thought of evolving in training. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    72. San Soo.

There's a cycle in these things. As the birthdays pass, our bodies just stop recovering like they used to and injuries become cumulative. Used to be that an Owie would heal in a week or perhaps two. They don't anymore. Now, new Owies just pile on top of earlier ones, like scabs that never heal. Personally, I retired from active mat work two years ago and began re-studying old techniques from my notebooks. I do the techniques against one or more imaginary opponents, at half to nearly full power (depending on what's hurting that day). Now, nobody is suggesting that shadow fighting is a full replacement for mat work, but it's the closest I can get at this point in my life. I am no longer in the part of the cycle that benefits from full contact.

The good part about "shadow" fighting is that old techniques are refreshed rather than forgotten.

Don't lose what you've already learned. Cherish it and take it into the next cycle of your life. You might specialize in the leverage techniques of your Art, or perhaps you'll carry it into an entirely different Art, sort of like a second gun that nobody knows about. The next decade or two could be the most interesting yet. It's all up to you.
    I agree, I look forward to training well into old age and hopefully adapting and always learning. As far as my next decade or two being the most interesting, that's a definite, I have 3 girls all 6 years old and under , they're sure to make things "interesting"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    That guy is a beast. A total inspiration too, not only to overcome injuries but to get my beard as kick ass as his too. Cool video, thanks for sharing.
    Take your time and heal up .. you will not go down the tubes and come out better off in the long run.
    Glad you liked the video !!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Regarding high reps for safety/health - there is some exercise SME out there that was writing about that last year. Said it's turning out the high reps are what he called "junk reps" that don't cause the adaptations you want and inflame connective tissue. I'll try to track that down.
    I would be VERY interested in seeing that if you can post more info!

I did a search on those key words, and I found this video/podcast interview with Mark Rippetoe. The issue of volume when older people are training is addressed, and it's pretty interesting, but the words "junk reps" are not used, so I'm quite sure it's not what you're referencing.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Time off from working out won't hurt you. Very few people come back from 6-8 weeks off and aren't right back in the swing things in a couple of weeks.

Professional athletes don't go to the gym and hit it hard all the time, they use periodization. They have specific training plans that allow them to physically peak at a specific at a certain point in time. Most of us don't have the luxury of having sponsors, multiple PHD level trainers and coaches, nutritionist, and support staff. Even if your not training for a specific event you can still break your training down into micro, meso, and macro cycles, and that will keep you from getting into a rut where you are doing the same old thing, breaking down your body and only getting worse at it.

This article is one I have re-visited often and referred people to. I even bought the book mentioned, if you can grasp all the Ayurvedic stuff and focus on his mentality then it is a great read and brings some solid ideas. I was medically seperated from the Corps for some fun orthopedic and neurological injuries and it took me awhile to realize I didn't need to be training like a Marine anymore.

“Consistency and moderation over intensity.”
    Now my training is running, kettlebells, maces, sandbags, and body weight stuff. I'll still hit the gym twice weekly to "pump iron" but that is about it. I have noticed better gains, better physique, less injuries, and even less illnesses.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Time off from working out won't hurt you. Very few people come back from 6-8 weeks off and aren't right back in the swing things in a couple of weeks.

Professional athletes don't go to the gym and hit it hard all the time, they use periodization. They have specific training plans that allow them to physically peak at a specific at a certain point in time. Most of us don't have the luxury of having sponsors, multiple PHD level trainers and coaches, nutritionist, and support staff. Even if your not training for a specific event you can still break your training down into micro, meso, and macro cycles, and that will keep you from getting into a rut where you are doing the same old thing, breaking down your body and only getting worse at it.
    True, I guess I just don't want to stop because I really do enjoy it so much. My coach does tell me to "be smart though, you want to be in this for the long run."
    Thanks for the reply

User Tag List