Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPM BP15

BPM BP15

I finally decided to dive back into the AR world. I researched everything I could get my hands on about most production AR's now available on the market. We have M&P 15's at work and I was about to buy one when our front sight taper pins began to fall out. Needless to say I didn't want to go down that road. I'm sure it was a QC issue as otherwise they have run just fine. A local LE distributor has a few used Colt 6920's (LE trade in) that are in almost new condition...however, they want to hold onto them for some reason. My guess is that after Orlando they were hoping for a panic buy thinking that they could make more money. They lost my business. I'd rather have the Colt but I'm wasn't waiting for the prices to go through the roof again.

The past few weeks while contemplating a new AR I had the opportunity to run a Barnes Precision Machine (BPM) rifle in a Patrol Rifle class that Grizzly21 and I taught. The rifle ran great the only thing that I didn't like was the chrome barrel that comes with it. The chrome underneath and protruding from all that rail was, IMO, ugly as hell. I called around and these guns were going for ~$1200.00 plus tax out the door. The aforementioned LE dealer was selling them at $1163.00 plus tax...with the chrome barrel. Grizzly21 had been telling me about a local shop that had some BPM's at a great price for LE. This local dealer was well $1200.00 for LE so I called them asking. The guy told me he had one with a black barrel, which according to him, was something extra that BPM was doing for LE package guns. Not satisfied, I called BPM directly and spoke with a female employee. I told her everything I just wrote here and gave her the business name and she confirmed what the dealer had told me. Did I mention that the factory is about 30 minutes away from me?

Once at the dealer the purchase was complete with a few accessories and I was out the door in under 30 minutes with the rifle...less $1200.00 but I also picked up a swivel and VTAC sling. Obviously I haven't run this one yet but I found a review on these rifles a few weeks ago and it seemed great. That review will go into way more detail that I ever will.

Their web-page: http://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/product-p/cqb-moe.htm

Pics:

The barrel isn't chrome, it's just raw stainless steel. I don't know if the black barrel is regular CMV steel barrel that's been phosphated, or if they nitrided the stainless teel, or if it was a coating of some kind (Cerakote, Moly Resin, Gun Kote, etc.) on the stainless steel. Stainless steel barrels are generally agreed to be higher maintenance and less durable than a CMV 4150 barrel that's been properly chrome-lined, but tend to be more accurate than chrome-lined barrels because of the dimensional inconsistencies that chrome-lining can bring; again, generalities, which don't always hold true, but it's an accepted rule of thumb that chrome-lined CMV is more suited for hard-use, while stainless steel is more oriented for precision.

Site Supporter
    Question for you.

The BPM rail uses direct thread screws for accessory attachment like the KAC URX 3.1, Wilson TRIM and Centurion CMR. Does it fit the same thread / spacing pattern ?

I know the KAC and Wilson are interchangeable. Not sure about the CMR but the BPM rail looks similar to the CMR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The BPM rail uses direct thread screws for accessory attachment like the KAC URX 3.1, Wilson TRIM and Centurion CMR. Does it fit the same thread / spacing pattern ?

I know the KAC and Wilson are interchangeable. Not sure about the CMR but the BPM rail looks similar to the CMR.
    FWIW, I believe the LMT LM8 and the Centurion CMR are interchangeable. The literature on the BPM Ultralite is supposed to be compatible with the Magpul MOE rail pieces, so the spacing is based on the MOEs, I guess, which AFAIK, is not compatible with the LM8/CMR nor the URX 3.1/TRIM.

Also, apparently BPM offers a "Nitro-Met" treatment for some of their parts, including their barrel, which is nothing more than a variant of nitriding, which I suspect is how they get the black coloration for the barrel. There are questions as to the utility of nitriding stainless steel in terms of corrosion resistance, but IIRC, it does offer some increased wear resistance over bare stainless steel.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-01-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Question for you.

It came with Magpul rails to attach. Does that answer your question? I see that the the CMR rails look similar but I have no idea about their spacing. As far as the barrel, it is stainless and the coating is Nitro-met.

This is my second AR. I had a Bushy a few years ago that I bought when they were actually good rifles...never had an issue...should have kept it. This was before all the various rails came about. Since then it seems everyone has a proprietary rail system. I went looking for a forward grip today and there is one for this rail system or that rail. It can be somewhat confusing but I've rsearched it enough to know what I want and need. Needless to say I didnt find what I was looking for. I want a snubby Tango down forward grip but didnt locate one. Im pretty sure Im getting an Aimpoint Pro in the near future. Otherwise, ive got everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I went looking for a forward grip today and there is one for this rail system or that rail. It can be somewhat confusing but I've rsearched it enough to know what I want and need. Needless to say I didnt find what I was looking for. I want a snubby Tango down forward grip but didnt locate one.
    Check out the Magpul RVG; I'm not 100% sure, but it should still come with a special rail section that is extra-low profile, designed specifically to work with the RVG, and being that it was originally supposed to work with the MOE mounting system, should provide a low-profile stubby VFG that works with the BPM Ultralite rail mounting system. Should.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    It came with Magpul rails to attach. Does that answer your question? I see that the the CMR rails look similar but I have no idea about their spacing. As far as the barrel, it is stainless and the coating is Nitro-met.

This is my second AR. I had a Bushy a few years ago that I bought when they were actually good rifles...never had an issue...should have kept it. This was before all the various rails came about. Since then it seems everyone has a proprietary rail system. I went looking for a forward grip today and there is one for this rail system or that rail. It can be somewhat confusing but I've rsearched it enough to know what I want and need. Needless to say I didnt find what I was looking for. I want a snubby Tango down forward grip but didnt locate one. Im pretty sure Im getting an Aimpoint Pro in the near future. Otherwise, ive got everything I need.
    One reason I ask is those all metal rails can get hot and the direct attach panels like the KAC and the Arisaka for the CMR help while still keeping the rail slim.

I finally got this rifle set-up like I want it. I also took to to the range today to zero the BUIS and PRO. I can say that this rifle shoots the 62 grain Speer Gold Dots much better than the 55 grain xm 193's as the xm193's wouldn't hold a 3 inch group at 50 yards. A total of 132 rounds today. The Daniel Defense mags and the Pmags all worked well. Theyre loaded to the gills now so we will see how they hold up.

Zero target

Head shots at 50 yards on IDPA target, head. The circled ones are my last 3 shots from 50 yards using the 62 grain Gold Dots.

Brought it home for a quick cleaning. Bolt Carrier staking...not sure but from what I've seen elsewhere this is marginal?

At any rate, the rifle ran well...I did not oil it prior to use. Thus far Ive added the PRO, Surefire X300 ultra, VTAC sling, and vertical grip.

Hi KeeFus, what barrel length did you go with... 14.5" or 16"? Also, Barnes doesn't show the weight on their site.. So, how much does it weigh? Looks like a nice rifl, er, uh, carbine. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Hi KeeFus, what barrel length did you go with... 14.5" or 16"? Also, Barnes doesn't show the weight on their site.. So, how much does it weigh? Looks like a nice rifl, er, uh, carbine. Thanks.
    As far as weight I have no clue with all the added stuff. Its a 16 inch with mid-length gas system.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 07-15-2016 at 07:02 PM.

User Tag List