Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Kyle Defoor Two Day Pistol , 6/25-26/16

Just looked at your blog. You have lots of well written class reviews there. Thank for taking time to write those.

Great AAR. Thanks! I hope to take a Class with Kyle someday.

Was Kyle using the Eidolon holster during the class?

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Great AAR. Thanks! I hope to take a Class with Kyle someday.

Was Kyle using the Eidolon holster during the class?
    Thanks for the kind words. Yep, he and I were the only ones using the Eidolon. Note: He removed the retension screw from his, relying on his personal stippling on the frame flats to maintain retention.

Quote Originally Posted by redbone View Post
    Just looked at your blog. You have lots of well written class reviews there. Thank for taking time to write those.
    Thanks for the kudos.

Site Supporter
    Excellent AAR and I very detailed. I especially enjoy reading AARs that include other links or links to videos. It adds clarity.

I read some of your other reviews and enjoyed those also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    This really was an excellent class and made the class I took with Jeff Gonzales a year ago look like a waste of money and ammo (AAR of that class, and all the classes I've taken, is also on my blog).
    After reading your reviews of Trident Concepts, I found your comment to be odd. The review was solid and positive for both instructor's courses. Can you clarify?

OP thank you for the detailed review. I am curious, did Defoor have a sight pusher with him or did students just use a hammer and punch to adjust zero on the 25 yard B8's?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    OP thank you for the detailed review. I am curious, did Defoor have a sight pusher with him or did students just use a hammer and punch to adjust zero on the 25 yard B8's?
    Hammer and punch, although I brought my pusher and at least one other guy had one as well. Kyle seemed to know exactly how far to push the sights. He'd make a mark with a pen on the sights and a matching one on the slide, and said the width of the ball point pen line is usually 3 inches at 25 yards. So if he just offset the lines completely then that would be 3 inches. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Excellent AAR and I very detailed. I especially enjoy reading AARs that include other links or links to videos. It adds clarity.

I read some of your other reviews and enjoyed those also.
    After reading your reviews of Trident Concepts, I found your comment to be odd. The review was solid and positive for both instructor's courses. Can you clarify?
    Thanks for the kind words.

The Gonzales class was an odd one for me and one of the few that didn't leave me feeling "good", more "meh", and I thought in my conclusion that that was clear. Considering how much I got out of <500 rounds with Kyle, I feel like the 1300 or so I shot with Jeff was basically ballistic masturbation. He also spent a ridiculous amount of time on his phone. I also found him kinda standoffish. Maybe I need to go back and do a "one year later" addendum to that AAR. I was less kind about it in a post I made at the end of 2015, my "year in review" post.

To date, I use basically nothing from Jeff's class. He teaches so much stuff that is the opposite of everyone else: crazy crush grip, elbows down, shoulders back ("pretend you're squeezing a nerf football with your shoulder blades"), etc. An LE friend of mine took Jeff's carbine course late in 2015 and had the same impressions. I don't know. Maybe he's mailing it in at this point.

Hammer and punch, although I brought my pusher and at least one other guy had one as well. Kyle seemed to know exactly how far to push the sights. He'd make a mark with a pen on the sights and a matching one on the slide, and said the width of the ball point pen line is usually 3 inches at 25 yards. So if he just offset the lines completely then that would be 3 inches. It worked.
    Thanks for the response, that is great info.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Good work deserves praise.

The Gonzales class was an odd one for me and one of the few that didn't leave me feeling "good", more "meh", and I thought in my conclusion that that was clear. Considering how much I got out of <500 rounds with Kyle, I feel like the 1300 or so I shot with Jeff was basically ballistic masturbation. He also spent a ridiculous amount of time on his phone. I also found him kinda standoffish. Maybe I need to go back and do a "one year later" addendum to that AAR. I was less kind about it in a post I made at the end of 2015, my "year in review" post.

To date, I use basically nothing from Jeff's class. He teaches so much stuff that is the opposite of everyone else: crazy crush grip, elbows down, shoulders back ("pretend you're squeezing a nerf football with your shoulder blades"), etc. An LE friend of mine took Jeff's carbine course late in 2015 and had the same impressions. I don't know. Maybe he's mailing it in at this point.
    Thank you for the clarification. I've taken over 30 firearms training courses (reputable courses) and can honestly say that though some were quite different, I always learned something. Sometimes different is just different. Just guessing, but I'm thinking that you're original AAR of Gonzales' course was good for the time you took the training, but as you were exposed to different instructors techniques, you're opinion possibly changed.

User Tag List