Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Speed Loader

I have never used these (http://www.5starfirearms.com/Speed-Loading-s/106.htm), but they look like good quality kit. Maybe another member has experience with them. HKS & Safariland is all I've used. Between the two, never had problems with either. HKS seemed more durable, but slower than HKS which was just push with no need to turn (or recall which way to turn). That said, I had plenty of drops onto a concrete range with the Safariland & they never had an issue, so maybe the durability concern was unfounded. For ME, Safariland definitely faster/easier.
    Last edited by Willard; 06-28-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Safariland. I've had HKS dump all the rounds in a pouch or pocket.

I have two different types of HKS loaders. My 25-5's dump a round easily, while the exact same ammo stays put in my 29-M's without trouble.

I'm not exactly a serious revolver guy, but thought I'd mention this anyway.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

S&W Airweight J-frame in a pocket

I use Safariland comp III for IDPA and use comp I or comp II for carry, depending on which gun I have on. There is a comp II in my pocket right now.

Favorite Speed Loader

Am I missing something about Safariland? After not finding a 7-cylinder version on Amazon, I went to their website and didn't fine one there either (maybe I overlooked it someway?). I was looking for one that fits my Taurus Model 66 (with 7-shot cylinder), in either the Comp II or Comp III version). I did find the correct Safariland models that fit my S&W 686 (6-shot cylinder) - found those in both the Comp II & III versions. My question for you Safariland guys is, do they even make a seven cylinder version?? If not, it looks like I'm back to HKS for the Taurus.

Sent from my Apple thang.
    Last edited by busykngt; 06-29-2016 at 07:11 PM.

I've found the choice between Safariland and HKS to be somewhat gun-dependent. For example, with my GP100, I prefer Safariland Comp III/Comp II; but for my Security Six, I prefer the HKS. The HKS cylinders are slightly smaller than the Safariland Comp II/Comp I cylinders, if that's a factor with your grips.

This book by Grant Cunningham has a pretty comprehensive review of speedloaders-and is a good book on combat revolvers in general:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-the-revolver

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-30-2016 at 12:02 PM.

I ran a K-frame and a few J-frames for a while. I settled on Safariland Comp 3s for the K, and Comp 1s for the Js. I tried the HKS speed loaders but I was never able to get as consistent with them vs the Comps.

Never had a failure with the Safarilands but I only ran revolvers for a little over three years.

Busykgnt,
    I only use 5 and 6 shot revolvers, not sure about 7 shot loaders. Sorry.

Last I heard, HKS and Maxfire were about it for seven shot revolver speedloaders. S&W's seven bangers can be machined to use moon clips but IIRC, Tauri are a no go.

User Tag List