Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat-capable bullseye-accurate pistol?

Red dot? Fiber? HD?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have found the combination of a Gen 4 19 and 124+P Gold Dot to be excellent. This was a five shot group, shot cold from prone at 50 yards, at the end of May.

My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Most mechanically accurate - no doubt. Practical accuracy in most people's hands ?
    A glock 26 with RMR and TTI basepads might be shootable...

GJM, you need to get a 26 fit for a RMR and go shoot at 50 again.
    i used to wannabe

I came to this forum a while back with the same frustrations. I've been a bullseye shooter (expert, but can shoot master level scores in .22) on and off for 26 years now. I've carried a Gen 2 G17 on duty for 20 years. I have always been frustrated with the moderate precision of my G17. I found the Sig P226 and B92 much more accurate, but only on SA. In drills, I shot the G17 much better (lower bore axis makes a difference to me).

I recently secured a gen4G17 as an issued duty pistol (though I still carry the gen2, I use the gen4 as a dry fire/practice pistol). It's about double the accuracy of my gen2. I still think the trigger makes it faster and safer for duty use, but more difficult to shoot tight groups at 25 yards.

Tried the P320 and M&P. The P320 is going down the road, and the M&P is staying. The M&P 45 is astoundingly accurate, and my plan is to get an Apex fitted barrel for my 9. If I decide to switch to the M&P 9 for duty use, I'm keeping the apex gun for dry fire and practice, and get a good stock example for duty use.

To sum it up, there are potentially more accurate options than the Glock, but the reason Glock triumphs is that the value/price is double that of any of the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some random thoughts. Short answer is get a Sig.:-)

There is a lot that goes into shooting a duty gun with a high level of repeatable accuracy. Metal guns *tend* to be easier to shoot to a high level of accuracy than polymer guns.

Thinner front sights are almost a necessity. I like .110-.115, with a .112 or so being really nice. Hard to get that.

Can a Glock shoot very well? Of course. Is it common? Not in my experience.

A Sig is my favorite, but a P30 or a Beretta is probably equally effective. My USP Expert will do 2" for me without issue, but I don't really consider the USP's ideal for duty use.

My groups with my sigs were 2" at 25 yards on demand. Sometimes tighter, but rarely larger. I once shot a 2.5" group at 63 yards, offhand with my 229. Probably never to be repeated:-(
    My Glocks have been more like 4", with the exceptional ones doing 2".

All of the above guns (except the USP) have 4.5" barrels or less. My Smith revolvers will do 5-6" at 100 yards very repeatably.

I carry a G17. It works just fine, though i wish the front sight was thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Just some random thoughts. Short answer is get a Sig.:-)

There is a lot that goes into shooting a duty gun with a high level of repeatable accuracy. Metal guns *tend* to be easier to shoot to a high level of accuracy than polymer guns.

Thinner front sights are almost a necessity. I like .110-.115, with a .112 or so being really nice. Hard to get that.

Can a Glock shoot very well? Of course. Is it common? Not in my experience.

A Sig is my favorite, but a P30 or a Beretta is probably equally effective. My USP Expert will do 2" for me without issue, but I don't really consider the USP's ideal for duty use.

My groups with my sigs were 2" at 25 yards on demand. Sometimes tighter, but rarely larger. I once shot a 2.5" group at 63 yards, offhand with my 229. Probably never to be repeated:-(
    My Glocks have been more like 4", with the exceptional ones doing 2".

All of the above guns (except the USP) have 4.5" barrels or less. My Smith revolvers will do 5-6" at 100 yards very repeatably.

I carry a G17. It works just fine, though i wish the front sight was thinner.
    Do You do anything to your sig triggers?

The group was five shots, from prone at 50 yards, with a Gen 4 Glock 19, OEM barrel, RMR 06, and Speer 124 +P Gold Dot ammo. All I had with me was five rounds of Gold Dot, and it was the first and only attempt. POA was center of the bull, and POI was slightly high, as I would expect at 50 yards with my 25 yard zero. I will have to look for the pictures, but I also shot at 50 yards with this pistol/load a month previous, with similar results.

I have two G34 MOS pistols, three G19 MOS and one direct milled 19, and the 19 pistols all shoot better groups at 25 yards than the 34 pistols, using the AE 124 that I have tested with. The 34 pistols shoot about 3.5 inch groups and the 19 pistols are about 2 to 2.5 inches at 25 yards. Even with iron sights, I shoot smaller groups at 25 with the various Gen 4 19 pistols I have, than I am getting with the two 34 pistols. These results are "slow fire," not judging the ability to shoot A zone hits fast.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have considerable experience shooting the Sig, Beretta, Gen 4 Glock 17/19, HK and CZ 9mm pistols over the past few years. While a Ransom rest, match ammo and Molon level OCD would undoubtedly show differences, they all* shoot so good for me, that differences in individual sights, triggers, and ammo accuracy seem to trump any trend I am seeing in accuracy between these different platforms.

* (I need to do some more experimenting with ammo, but right now, the two Gen 4 34 MOS pistols I have recently got, seem to be shooting worse than I would like, and worse than what I am getting with Glock 17/19 and the other platforms.)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Do You do anything to your sig triggers?
    Shoot them. A lot. :-)

Literally, nothing else. Clean them every 1000 rds or so.

As far as mechanical accuracy goes, my Sig Pro and HK P2000 are probably nearly identical. As far as practical accuracy goes, the nod goes to Sig...for now. I have thousands and thousands more rounds through the DA/SA Sig than the HK LEM.

User Tag List