Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Combat-capable bullseye-accurate pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks. Most excellent shooting. Looks like about 7/8".

Was that with a Roland Special, a G19 MOS, or a milled G19?

Thanks,

Okie John
    L&M milled RMR06 on G4 19.

I am holding out on one of the boys losing interest in the Roland KKM barrel, and selling me their rig on the cheap.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If my whole "scientist-career thing" doesn't work out, I'm seriously thinking of calling up Hamilton Bowen and asking to come hang around the shop for a couple of years and just start absorbing the realities of round-guns. If I start now, maybe by the time I retire I can know how to work on a Colt revolver without mucking it up...wishful thinking.
    I said the same thing about 1911 smiffing if my nursing career didn't work out.

But it did. Oh well... it's moar gun money!

All else being equal, I am notably more accurate with a medium to medium/large-frame S&W revolver, or GP100, than with my duty Glocks. No amount of training with Glocks closes the gap, because shooting any handgun seems to make me a better DA revolver shooter.

Of course, all else is not usually equal. My favored 4" S&W Model 19 has a very dark blue front sight, and black rear sight, with a notch that is becoming too narrow for my aging eyes, especially in low light. There are times and places the revolver's sights are simply not relevant in sighting the weapon, while I may well be able to see the Trijicons, Ameriglos, Battlsights, etc., that are on my Glocks.

I would like to mount a sturdy illuminated-dot/triangle sight on a revolver, but would be violating PD policy by carrying it for any LE or defensive purpose outside my home, 24/7/365. I have seen some tritium set-ups for revolvers, but other than Trjicon front sights on a couple of my SP101 snub-guns, have not used them, thus far. Illuminating a target helps, but most revolvers do not work well with a WML.

My 1911 is a middle case, in this regard. I am more accurate with my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special than with a Glock, but it it now needs a wider-notch rear sight for my aging eyes, and has no rail for a WML.

My P229R was more accurate for me than any Glock, which is why I switched from the G22 to the P229 for police duty in 2004, but the high bore axis and snappy .40 cartridge created a perfect storm of too much painful force applied with each shot, so my P229 is honorably retired, as of October 31, 2015, except perhaps to be fired on ceremonial occasions with a 9mm conversion barrel. (My chief approved 9mm as an alternate duty cartridge in September 2015, but I decided to switch back to Glock, for the lower bore axis, at the same time I switched duty cartridges.)

I still like SIG, and have considered adding a P226 Stainless Elite, as the weight should damp the recoil and muzzle rise, especially with 9mm. I would not, likely, routinely carry such a heavy weapon on my duty belt, but could game the Qual with it, and to avoid seeing myself as a hypocrite, carry it occasionally, or perhaps bring it along on patrol, in the gear bag, for special situations.

My usual, daily carry is a G17 or G19. An X200B lives on one G19, while I have X300 WMLs part-time on my other Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    ... My favored 4" S&W Model 19 has a very dark blue front sight, and black rear sight, with a notch that is becoming too narrow for my aging eyes, especially in low light. There are times and places the revolver's sights are simply not relevant in sighting the weapon, while I may well be able to see the Trijicons, Ameriglos, Battlsights, etc., that are on my Glocks...
    I gave up on blued sights for anything other than targets in good light. Bright orange fingernail polish with a white base coat works very well for front sights. Almost all my revolvers now have this done.

Could open up the rear notch with a small swiss file.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I gave up on blued sights for anything other than targets in good light. Bright orange fingernail polish with a white base coat works very well for front sights. Almost all my revolvers now have this done.

Could open up the rear notch with a small swiss file.
    Thanks. I may have to file the rear sight. I had, also, thought I might order a sight from Bowen Classic Arms, with a request to widen the rear notch. I have seen these sights, and liked them.

i may be more likely to try filing the Novak-pattern rear sight of my 1911, as it will be a less-expensive mistake if I mess it up.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-22-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks. I may have to file the rear sight. I had, also, thought I might order a sight from Bowen Classic Arms, with a request to widen the rear notch. I have seen these sights, and liked them.

i may be more likely to try filing the Novak-pattern rear sight of my 1911, as it will be a less-expensive mistake if I mess it up.
    Standard Novaks have a .125 rear notch, but they make them with .140 and .180 rear notches as well. I have 1911's with the .140 rear notches. They help.

OK, so this thread prompted me to get my hands on an actual bullseye pistol and see what I could do with it.

I borrowed a Clark Custom Ruger 22 with a match barrel, two-pound ultra-crisp trigger with little or no overtravel, BoMar sights, and a muzzle brake to tame the bone-crushing recoil of the 22 LR cartridge. This is 10 shots at 25 yards using every bullseye trick that I know. Extreme spread is right at 3", with 9 hits in 2". Clearly I need to stop abusing the trigger.

A couple of years ago, I made this group with a Gen3 G17, OEM barrel, OEM (-) connector, and a cast-bullet handload. It's about the same size as the group I made with the custom Ruger 22, and involved similarly unrealistic shooting technique.

I've made enough other groups like this with Gen4 Glocks, especially with American Eagle 147-grain FMJ ammo, to think that the Gen4 guns are pretty darned accurate.

Not sure what this adds to the discussion, except to show that 1) having a bulls-eye grade pistol loaded with get-you-killed-on-the-streets features and a manslaughter trigger doesn't do ME much good, and 2) having good ammo is probably at least as important as messing with the gun or jumping from gun to gun.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Had a chance to shoot another 25 yard group this morning for Okie John. First shots of the day, 25 yards, 124 AE ball, G4 19/RMR.

Between this group and the previous one, I decided to come down three clicks in elevation.
    I'd like to try some of that AE 124 gr stuff, but can't seem to find any in stock. Any pointers on where to look? Your last recommendation of Aguila 124 gr ball was right on the money.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I'd like to try some of that AE 124 gr stuff, but can't seem to find any in stock. Any pointers on where to look? Your last recommendation of Aguila 124 gr ball was right on the money.
    Or get some S&B whatever grain shot great for us...
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I bought 10 or 20,000 from SGAmmo, but that was back in April. Seems like it goes in and out of stock there quickly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List