Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance On a Good African Plains Rifle

Lightbulb Guidance On a Good African Plains Rifle

I need help building (or acquiring) a new African plains game rifle. I want to go next summer.

Some background: I have only hunted twice in my lifetime (discounting occasional bird hunting). The first time was in 2009 when I went to Zambia. I figured if I'm going to hunt for the first (possibly only) time, I might as well go to Africa. I read couple of magazines and books and had Robar build me two custom CZ-550 rifles in .458 Lott and .375 H&H. They were heavy. I hired out an outfitter and had a great PH. I bagged 11 animals including a buffalo and a SCI gold medal Kafue Lechwe on my last hunt day. Beginner's luck. The second time was in 2013 when I went to Namibia. This trip was mostly longer range hunting in open tree-less terrain (shots >400 yards). A lot of hiking and crawling and stalking and pain. I had Robar build me a custom .300 WM Remington 700 with a fluted HB with a detachable AI magazine and topped off with a US Optic scope. Great sniper rifle; heavy ass hunting rifle. Shorter hunt so I took 6 animals. I want to do it again, but this time maybe a little smarter.

Please give me some suggestions on gear that might fit these criterias.

1. Less than 10 lbs with optics.
    2. Factory rifle if possible. Nice thing to have: synthetic stock; adjustable trigger; doesn't need to be control feed; flush fitting detachable mag would be nice; and it has to be able to take a beating (ie dragged by its sling tied to my foot as we are belly crawling). I would like to spend less than $1600 for the rifle.
    3. Optic: variable power from 3x up to at least 15x with a simple elevation turret with zero stop if possible and good reticle for hunting and simple ranging (don't need Horus). No need for illumination. Reasonable weight please. Something less than $1500?
    4. Caliber: Can I get away with a 308 or stick with the 300 WM? Biggest animal is Elk like at 500 yards at the farthest.
    5. I handload all of my own ammo.

I was looking at the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro and 85 Finnlight. They were nice but finding stuff for it like mags is hard and pricey. Also any warranty work would have to go through Beretta which I heard can be dodgy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Look at the Winchester Extreme Weather. The 300 WM is hard to beat but plenty of others would be just fine. No idea on optics.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Look at the Winchester Extreme Weather. The 300 WM is hard to beat but plenty of others would be just fine. No idea on optics.

Okie John
    This is an excellent suggestion!

That said, on every African trip I have taken a .375 as my light rifle, so as to be able to protect myself when plains game hunting and to back up my larger rifle. If there are no large critters near your area like buffalo, hippo and elephant, I would feel good with something like a .300 WM, a 2.5-8 class scope, and a rangefinder.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is an excellent suggestion!

That said, on every African trip I have taken a .375 as my light rifle, so as to be able to protect myself when plains game hunting and to back up my larger rifle. If there are no large critters near your area like buffalo, hippo and elephant, I would feel good with something like a .300 WM, a 2.5-8 class scope, and a rangefinder.
    Agreed on the M70. I took a .300 WM to Namibia a few years ago, and was very happy to have it when I took a mountain zebra at 400 yards. Depending on where you hunt, a 26" barrel (Winchester Extreme Weather .300 WM) might be a bit much. I've settled on 22" for .30-06 and up; handier in the bush. Consider a scope with a BDC matched to your hunting load. I used this scope on the WM, as the dots lined up nicely with the 180 grain load I was using:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6...pe-P49442.aspx

Name:  300WM - 1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  67.3 KB
    Last edited by SteveB; 06-27-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    I haven't been to Africa yet but I've been planning or dreaming about it for 30 years. I always planned on taking my Winchester m70 featherweight in 30-06 and my m70 in .375 H&H.

Steve B,

What is the reason for moving the rear sling attachment to just behind the pistol grip on your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Steve B,

What is the reason for moving the rear sling attachment to just behind the pistol grip on your rifle?
    That Ching sling is primarily a shooting sling; because of my height and arm length, moving the rear sling swivel forward allows me to lock into the sling quicker and easier. Mounting the rifle from an African carry position (support shoulder, muzzle down), is also quicker.

Steve you have excellent taste in rifles. Did Brockman build that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Agreed on the M70. I took a .300 WM to Namibia a few years ago, and was very happy to have it when I took a mountain zebra at 400 yards. Depending on where you hunt, a 26" barrel (Winchester Extreme Weather .300 WM) might be a bit much. I've settled on 22" for .30-06 and up; handier in the bush. Consider a scope with a BDC matched to your hunting load. I used this scope on the WM, as the dots lined up nicely with the 180 grain load I was using:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6...pe-P49442.aspx

Name:  300WM - 1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  67.3 KB
    Nice rifle. I'm thinking maybe 24 inches for the barrel. 30-006 sounds interesting. Speaking of slings: do you guys have a suggestion for a sling system that can keep the rifle secured and immobile on my back while crawling on hands/knees or on my belly? When I was hunting, I just kept the chamber empty and the muzzle taped and dragged it by the sling or held it in my right hand.

Speaking of slings: do you guys have a suggestion for a sling system that can keep the rifle secured and immobile on my back while crawling on hands/knees or on my belly?
    There used to be a sling called a Wyoming split sling. It was similar to the biathlon slings, meaning it was split into two straps and it could be carried somewhat like a backpack. I never fooled with one or had an opinion of them. It may work for crawling. Just carrying the gun slung diagonal crossways across your back with a regular sling may work fine.

As to rifles, I like the 338 as a medium.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-27-2016 at 02:33 PM.

User Tag List