Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great Book About Frank Hamer by John Boessenecker

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    I don't want to spoil the book for me, or anyone else. But I recall reading somewhere about LE and military folks in the early 20th Century getting advice and instruction from previous Old West gunfighters. Did this happen with Hamer ? (I don't know much about the man.) Thanks
    He was in his first shooting as a teen. When he started in the Rangers, he was surrounded and worked under some true studs of the old west. He basically had great mentors and training officers as a lawman combined with being an exceptionally good shooter and tough as nails working cowboy with exceptional mindset and natural abilities and well honed skills.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am in he middle of a deep research project regarding Fank Hamer and need some help. If anyone has seen, or knows where there is a photo or any solid documentation (auction with provenance, writing in Hamer's own hand, etc.) regard Frank Hamer's use of 1911 pistols, please let me know. Not often quoted second hand internet stuff, or widely reported, but real actual proof would be highly appreciated.
    This is probably a dumb question but have you checked at the Texas Ranger Museum?

He was in his first shooting as a teen. When he started in the Rangers, he was surrounded and worked under some true studs of the old west. He basically had great mentors and training officers as a lawman combined with being an exceptionally good shooter and tough as nails working cowboy with exceptional mindset and natural abilities and well honed skills.
    Thanks for your comments. - I just about swear I heard it repeated that Hamer carried a 1911. It came up when people asked if he carried a SAA.
    It looks like that mighta been the usual unsubstantiated internet rumor mill. Good luck with your research. It sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This is probably a dumb question but have you checked at the Texas Ranger Museum?
    Actually.....several of their guns are wrong, or "examples", but not the actual guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Thanks for your comments. - I just about swear I heard it repeated that Hamer carried a 1911. It came up when people asked if he carried a SAA.
    It looks like that mighta been the usual unsubstantiated internet rumor mill. Good luck with your research. It sounds very interesting.
    Lots of folks claim he used a 1911.......I am looking for actual evidence, like a photo. A few guns are confirmed. "Old Lucky", an engraved Colt S.A.A. In .45 Colt that was his primary firearm from the time it was gifted to him after cleaning up Navasota, a Remington Model 8 in .25 Remington, an engraved Model 8 in .30 Remington gifted to him by Remington. That gun is owned by Texas A&M and on display at the Ranger Museum. The Model 81 with a POE extended 15 round magazine in .35 Remington that is in the museum is claimed to be the Bonnie & Clyde gun by many is a major myth.....it wasn't made until 1940, 6 years too late for Bonnie & Clyde. It belonged to Hamer, and was likely purchased based on the experience of the Bonnie and Clyde ambush, but not what was used, no matter what you read.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I am in he middle of a deep research project regarding Fank Hamer and need some help. If anyone has seen, or knows where there is a photo or any solid documentation (auction with provenance, writing in Hamer's own hand, etc.) regard Frank Hamer's use of 1911 pistols, please let me know. Not often quoted second hand internet stuff, or widely reported, but real actual proof would be highly appreciated.
    Didn't Mas Ayoob write something about that years ago? In American Handgunner I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Didn't Mas Ayoob write something about that years ago? In American Handgunner I think?
    While his has been good, same thing.....references to others and no photo documentation, provenance paperwork, or more than retold claims.

Oh well, I had hoped he would have had something more solid.

Sorry I can't be any further help.

ETA: would Jim Wilson know something? he wrote once that he had gotten fondle "Old Lucky" and claimed in article (without references) that Hamer carried a 1911 in 38 Super at the Bonny and Clyde stop.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 07-19-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Oh well, I had hoped he would have had something more solid.

Sorry I can't be any further help.

ETA: would Jim Wilson know something? he wrote once that he had gotten fondle "Old Lucky" and claimed in article (without references) that Hamer carried a 1911 in 38 Super at the Bonny and Clyde stop.
    I ll try to get a hold of Jim Wilson as that seems to be who many quote about the .38 Super....which apparantly came from Frank Hamer Jr, which is the same place the wrong info about the Model 8 .35 Remington with a twenty round mag came from, and is not possible. Now, I am and not looking to disparage Hamer Jr, as he was a serving Ranger himself. The issue is two fold, memory in which a minor detail can be a big issue, and something that is a huge issue, especially amongst both the press and LE is that many are not remotely firearms experts, and often make serious errors in regards to technical details. In today's world, just look at how "Glock", "Assault rifle", AR-15 or AK47, "clip", etc are thrown around as generics. This is not new.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm finally around to this one on my reading list and finished the first 15% in one sitting. It's been an interesting read so far, I suspect I'll be done with it before the week is out.

On a side note, I am such a creature of habit. I've been reading paper books for the last few months because what I've been wanting was either not available on the Kindle or used paper copies were significantly cheaper, so I've been away from reading on a Kindle for awhile. I stood up from my chair and picked up my book mark to mark my place and quietly stared at the Kindle/bookmark interface for a second before I realized I was being a dumb ass.

Site Supporter
    Got this in hardcover for Christmas. Gonna go finish it before graduate school starts this week.

User Tag List