Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Book About Frank Hamer by John Boessenecker

Read it as soon as it came out. An excellent work.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Outstanding book, totally worth full msrp. I'm truely in awe Hamer was able to adapt to the changing world and stay on top of the LE game. From horseback cattle rustling to modern politicized policing, that's a hell of an adaptation.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I'm almost done with it. Great book about an interesting lawman. Good story about a guy that bridged the gap between the Old West and more modern policing.

I like books like this that also give some perspective on where this country has been and where it could be going with law enforcement and relations with the public. Hamer's career started in the early 20th Century. The book shows he and his fellow LEO'S dealt with public scrutiny of their use of force, crusading "reformers", racial tensions, emerging technologies, public corruption, etc a hundred years before everything going on now.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The historical context of this book shows current issues in law enforcement presented by the media and social media aren't as new as they're made out to be. It changes the historical narrative being pushed today. The book also makes the case that sometimes an overwhelming show of force, and the proper application of force at the right time, saves lives and preserves order.

Well worth the read.
    Last edited by MRW; 06-27-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Autocorrect shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by PSBT4117 View Post
    The historical context of this book shows current issues in law enforcement presented by the media and social media aren't as new as they're made out to be. It changes the historical narrative being pushed today. The book also makes the case that sometimes an overwhelming show of force, and the proper application of force at the right time, saves lives and preserves order.
    I have a number of sections highlighted. The common narrative is that the automatic rifle, submachine gun, and armored car have only emerged in the 21st century. This book shows that view to be demonstrably false.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by PSBT4117 View Post
    I'm almost done with it. Great book about an interesting lawman. Good story about a guy that bridged the gap between the Old West and more modern policing.

I like books like this that also give some perspective on where this country has been and where it could be going with law enforcement and relations with the public. Hamer's career started in the early 20th Century. The book shows he and his fellow LEO'S dealt with public scrutiny of their use of force, crusading "reformers", racial tensions, emerging technologies, public corruption, etc a hundred years before everything going on now.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The historical context of this book shows current issues in law enforcement presented by the media and social media aren't as new as they're made out to be. It changes the historical narrative being pushed today. The book also makes the case that sometimes an overwhelming show of force, and the proper application of force at the right time, saves lives and preserves order.

Well worth the read.
    While a completely different media, watch some old "Adam-12" episodes. I'm particularly fond of an episode in which Reed and Malloy are trying to explain the new Miranda ruling. "Dragnet" has a great episode on the drug war.

As for the militarization of law enforcement, whenever someone brings that up, I show them old cavalry uniforms in comparison to those of many state police agencies. Then I thrown in a bunch of pictures of armored cars and motorcycles from the Great Depression gangster era.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Finished this the other night. Outstanding read!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Finished this the other night. Outstanding read!
    I just finished this too. Good read. Gotta love the library. Somebody says something about a good book on the internet and I go online and order if from my local library. Free.

Thanks for posting this, and especially the video interview link . I'm a big history buff. This book sounds like a 'gotta read' for me.

I am in he middle of a deep research project regarding Fank Hamer and need some help. If anyone has seen, or knows where there is a photo or any solid documentation (auction with provenance, writing in Hamer's own hand, etc.) regard Frank Hamer's use of 1911 pistols, please let me know. Not often quoted second hand internet stuff, or widely reported, but real actual proof would be highly appreciated.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I don't want to spoil the book for me, or anyone else. But I recall reading somewhere about LE and military folks in the early 20th Century getting advice and instruction from previous Old West gunfighters. Did this happen with Hamer ? (I don't know much about the man.) Thanks

User Tag List