Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroin Overdose Epidemic - what is your perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have never heard of rigid chest syndrome - I'll check it out. The ER I am learning in never uses IV fentanyl. Morphine is the strongest IV opiate I have seen used. You are referring to twilight sedation, correct? Did you replace fent with another opiate? You can PM if you are more comfortable answering that way.
    Looks like Doc fixed you up on rigid chest.

I no longer use IV opiates for sedation; a little Vesed, Ketamine, nitrous and good local go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Looks like Doc fixed you up on rigid chest.

I no longer use IV opiates for sedation; a little Vesed, Ketamine, nitrous and good local go a long way.
    Ketamine...that's strong stuff. When my daughter was 4 she decided it would be OK to jump from the swing. The end result was a badly fractured femur. They used Ketamine to sedate her. She stopped breathing. I knew something was amiss when he O2 stats started dropping. I can not tell you how hard it was for me to watch her as they bagged her for 30 minutes until she started breathing on her own because of that stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    Heroin has become more prevalent in central and western Michigan (I would assume Detroit as well.)

We have carried Narcan for as long as I remember. We just started carrying intranasal Narcan last year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    I don't know how much it's used in Detroit, but most of it in this area comes from there. Same for every other drug for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Ketamine...that's strong stuff. When my daughter was 4 she decided it would be OK to jump from the swing. The end result was a badly fractured femur. They used Ketamine to sedate her. She stopped breathing. I knew something was amiss when he O2 stats started dropping. I can not tell you how hard it was for me to watch her as they bagged her for 30 minutes until she started breathing on her own because of that stuff.
    Too much of anything will kill you. Pediatric dosages especially need to be calculated on a body-weight basis.

Keefus: Ketamine is NOT usually associated with respiratory depression unless given in massive doses with too quick an infusion...

In more typical doses, Ketamine actually supports respiration, while still providing profound analgesia--all with a wider safety margin than most narcotics.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-26-2016 at 06:59 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Keefus: Ketamine is NOT usually associated with respiratory depression unless given in massive doses with too quick an infusion...

In more typical doses, Ketamine actually supports respiration, while still providing profound analgesia--all with a wider safety margin than most narcotics.
    I was pretty upset after the bagging started so I dont remember exactly what the ER Dr was saying during all that...all I know is how helpless I felt watching it all unfold. I did tell the Dr a few things, but they aren't worth repeating. He got the point I was trying to make. I think the nurse bagging her made it worse for me. Ive seen people die before and seen ER staff encourage people to breathe. Then seeing my child in a somewhat similar situation scared me.

That was 11 years ago. The subsequent half body cast and following 5 weeks were rough but fun. You learn a lot about yourself during times like that but that feeling of being totally helpless was something I will never forget.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 06-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    It's extremely disconcerting that ive never seen this video from the DEA

I've dealt with fentanyl before in a few different forms.
    Besides the video, here are two links that our DEA office propagated for some officer info.

https://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2016/hq061016.shtml

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...o/fentanyl.pdf

If you want the direct DEA link for the video, https://www.dea.gov/video_clips/Fent...Call Video.mp4 (Some places don't let you link to Youtube.)

Did another OD this morning, did his roommate on friday. I'll be stunned if there isn't fentanyl involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    Besides the video, here are two links that our DEA office propagated for some officer info.

https://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2016/hq061016.shtml

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...o/fentanyl.pdf

If you want the direct DEA link for the video, https://www.dea.gov/video_clips/Fent...Call Video.mp4 (Some places don't let you link to Youtube.)

Did another OD this morning, did his roommate on friday. I'll be stunned if there isn't fentanyl involved.
    Thanks, I'll forward this to someone who can email it out to everyone. I really shouldn't be the first person in the PD that knows about this...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

We deal with this shit daily. A lot of the heroin floating around our area is fentanyl laced, so the dopers have been dropping like flies. Everybody we search or have to otherwise lay hands on have needles. We've had officers stuck (requiring the 6 month mental torment) so I along with many others who have to deal with this are at wits end. The Sheriff's Office is carrying Naloxone and so far, we haven't been mandated to carry it - yet.

Has there ever been an instance where someone was saved by Naloxone and immediately quit doing drugs?

User Tag List