Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroin Overdose Epidemic - what is your perspective?

^^^^So much for "do no harm".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I wasn't raised in Virginia. The county I grew up in has one of the highest heroin overdose death rates per capita in my home state. What's sort of not surprising to me is that everyone I'm aware of who's OD'ed on heroin was a sh*thead growing up and continued to be a sh*thead as an adult, drug use aside. The "best and brightest" among my peer group seem to be doing well but the idiots continue to be idiots. So, when people say how the opioid crisis effects everyone, I sort of don't believe that. I agree it's possible but oftentimes the writing is very much on the wall.

Anecdotal evidence at best, I understand.

Site Supporter
    @RyanM I've talked about it before somewhere in this beast of a thread, but in my town (highest overdose rate in the country) it has hit everyone. I've lost a lot of friends and classmates that were great people from great families. People with degrees, good jobs, and families of their own.

Hell my family is a great example. I'm fairly successful, own a business, etc. My brother is an extremely successful business owner. My sister is an addict. I have a cousin who is an addict and her family is awesome, and her siblings are very successful. I have two more cousins who grew up in a great home but both become addicts and one of them just committed suicide.

There was a point in time when teenagers experimented with alcohol and weed. When it reaches the point where 13 year olds are selling pills, and pills are easier to obtain than weed that's what kids end up experimenting with. Throw in doctors over prescribing pills for every little thing and others running pill mills and this is where we end up.

^^^^Brother you have my deepest respect and sympathy. I've dealt with this on a much smaller level. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of such destruction to so many, so close.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ^^^^Brother you have my deepest respect and sympathy. I've dealt with this on a much smaller level. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of such destruction to so many, so close.
    Appreciate it man. It's weird because it becomes the "new normal" and it's easy to become cold to it. Then I'll scroll through my Facebook friends list looking for someone and it's like a fucking cemetery.

My biggest concern now is my nephew. He's 13 and starting to wonder about all the shit 13 year old boys can start getting into. I catch him with drugs and he's in for a reckoning he can't imagine.

Site Supporter

opiod abuse epidemic

One of the places I work is a village of 7500 on the west side of our county, surrounded by farms. Economically stable, middle class, overwhelmingly caucasian in ethnic composition.

Heroin hit HARD there beginning in 2008 and began to taper off in 2014 or so. The PD doesn't carry narcan but EMS does. We had a few people narcaned twice in the same week.

Diversion of prescription medications has always been a thing. Back in the '80s we had a few burglaries to pharmacy's but they got better alarm systems and more secure storage for the high risk stuff and we haven't had a pharmacy hit in years.

There is a nursing home in town and about every six months some CNA gets jammed up for stealing medication.

I have empathy for people who have a health condition and get hooked on opiates trying to deal with chronic pain.

I have empathy for those who are trying to self-medicate because they suffer from depression or some kind of bi-polar condition.

One of the guys I used to be in the MPs with had a sister who ended up hooked on heroin and was a street prostitute. That was 30 years ago. He grew up to be a Chief of Police and I have no idea what happened to her. Another cop I know was VERY close with his sister growing up, and she developed a drug problem in her late teens and is currently in prison.

Drug abuse is a terrible thing and I have some empathy for people BUT when it gets to the point that you're breaking into cars or committing burglaries or stealing from your own family or stealing stealing Grandma's pain medication, or when you drive into the big city to buy heroin and shoot up in the restroom at McDonald's before driving home and then crash into somebody on the highway because you nod off before you get home, well then I loose my empathy.

I sure don't know what the answer is. I do know that what we have been doing the last 50 years hasn't worked very well . . . .
    Last edited by Jeff22; 05-08-2019 at 04:43 AM.

The hometown sheriffs office pulled over a car the other night, and a couple of folks wound up exposed to fentanyl.

When deputies searched a vehicle Tuesday night during a traffic stop on Florida Boys Ranch Road near County Road 561, the searching deputy reportedly spotted a bag of what appeared to be heroin on top of a purse belonging to one of the vehicle’s occupants. When he went to pick it up, he suffered a serious reaction and passed out. Another deputy on-scene administered Narcan, a drug used to reverse the effects of an overdose, to revive the deputy.
    Stay safe out there!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The hometown sheriffs office pulled over a car the other night, and a couple of folks wound up exposed to fentanyl.

Stay safe out there!
    Since I’m not a doctor, and we have some good informed ones here. @Sensei or @DocGKR (I know I’m missing some more) you’re needed at the courtesy phone of truth please.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Stay safe out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Since I’m not a doctor, and we have some good informed ones here. @Sensei or @DocGKR (I know I’m missing some more) you’re needed at the courtesy phone of truth please.
    There are more than a few of these reported “occupational exposures.” The medical consensus is that these cases are probably not related to opiate exposure or overdose from cutaneous exposure. Brief cutaneous contact with fentanyl (or its derivatives) cannot produce intoxication, much less an overdose. If they could, abusers wouldn’t go to the trouble of injection if they could simply rub it on their skin to get high. For perspective, the transcutaneous preparation of fentanyl takes hours to build up in the skin to a therapeutic level. Thus, the conclusions reached by the police sergeant in that article cannot be supported by science.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-08-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    There are more than a few of these reported “occupational exposures.” The medical consensus is that these cases are probably not related to opiate exposure or overdose from cutaneous exposure. Brief cutaneous contact with fentanyl (or its derivatives) cannot produce intoxication, much less an overdose. If they could, abusers wouldn’t go to the trouble of injection if they could simply rub it on their skin to get high. For perspective, the transcutaneous preparation of fentanyl takes hours to build up in the skin to a therapeutic level. Thus, the conclusions reached by the police sergeant in that article cannot be supported by science.
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED! to find out that the media got some facts wrong- thanks for the clarification.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List