Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhead shotgun racks for Ford PPV (Explorer)

Site Supporter

Overhead shotgun racks for Ford PPV (Explorer)

My work has set aside funds to buy shotgun racks for the new Ford PPVs that we have been getting as replacements for the Crown Vics. The shotguns are currently stored cased in trunks or rearmost SUV compartments. Our command staff likes the idea of the overhead rack attaching to the prisoner partition behind the driver. Does anyone have experience with particular brands, models, or this particular way of carrying the shotgun? Should the stock or the barrel face the driver's door? Our shotguns are 20" 870s with wood furniture and extended mag tubes. Thanks in advance and feel free to PM if you are more comfortable doing so.

I've used the Big Sky racks (electronic) that are supposed to be universal (MP5, M4, and Shotgun). The only drawback we found was with some lights and optics it wouldn't work. They were reliable however.

I'm currently campaigning for the BLAC-RAC because it works on damn near every long gun regardless of accessories.

As for which end to point the muzzle... We always set it up with right hand to drivers door and left hand to passenger. Made it more natural when reaching overhead to grab it. Most shotguns I'm aware of don't have FP safeties so it shouldn't matter which way they point as far as safety because it would be unwise to store them with a round in the chamber. We did have to explain that to a few folks who though they were smarter than they really are.
    Last edited by El Cid; 06-23-2016 at 04:12 PM.

We have been running dual vertical gun racks between the seats for a number of years. We're running Setina's with their XL handcuff style lock as it accepts a variety of accessories. Our patrol rifles have optics, flashlights, and VFG's and they all fit.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Do you mean something like this? http://www.galls.com/tufloc-universa...002264&PMSRCH=

If you do, I think that's a really bad idea. You don't want things getting between your head and the roof of the car in a crash. Going up and into the roof is pretty common in high speed rear impacts. It "probably" won't be a problem, but it can definitely not be a problem by putting the rack between the seats. A broken arm from a gun mounted between the seats is much less life altering than a divot in your skull.

We use dual Santa Cruz handcuff racks between the seat in our Chargers, as long as officers don't use them as improvised cup holders they work fine.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-24-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If you do, I think that's a really bad idea. You don't want things getting between your head and the roof of the car in a crash. Going up and into the roof is pretty common in high speed rear impacts. It "probably" won't be a problem, but it can definitely not be a problem by putting the rack between the seats. A broken arm from a gun mounted between the seats is much less life altering than a divot in your skull.
    I've had them both overhead (15+ years ago) and vertical between the seats in my patrol vehicles.

One night after I drove over a 6-8" barrier -- on purpose, and rather hard, in order to reach an officer in a fight -- I felt an inexplicable dampness at the back of my neck at the conclusion of said fight...from a leaking laceration to the back of my nugget. I had no idea where that had come from until I discovered my shotgun laying across the front seat of my patrol car. The clamp had opened during the rough ride, and sprung closed again, after dropping the 870 on my head. Fortunately, I'd been too interested in more important events to even notice!

After the switch to vertical racks, I was rear-ended at 40+ mph while seated in my car on a collision scene. My right arm flew back and hit the shotgun; it didn't break my arm, but mashed the hell out of the triceps tendon.

I much prefer the vertical rack. It's easier to begin removing the gun (carefully) while driving to a scene, and the fewer hard objects at head height, the better!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    Would the increased headroom in the Explorer reduce the chance of injury from an overhead rack? We would not install these in the CVs due to the headroom issue.
    I don't think my command would want the upright rack unless there was some way to cover the shotgun from public view.
    Our county PD has their long guns racked in the trunk of the Tauruses or behind the center folding seat of the Explorers. Since we do not use Tauruses and have the rear seat set up for prisoner transports, their method will not work for us. The secure drawer systems that fit in the rear are not in the budget.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-24-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    Would the increased headroom in the Explorer reduce the chance of injury from an overhead rack? We would not install these in the CVs due to the headroom issue.
    I don't think my command would want the upright rack unless there was some way to cover the shotgun from public view.
    Our county PD has their long guns racked in the trunk of the Tauruses or behind the center folding seat of the Explorers. Since we do not use Tauruses and have the rear seat set up for prisoner transports, their method will not work for us. The secure drawer systems that fit in the rear are not in the budget.
    My recommendation as someone who designed SRS for vehicles, reviewed a lot of crash test data, and examined the results of many real crashes is that the overhead mount is not safe or prudent. Crashes have a way of driving heads upward before snapping them forward or back, depending upon impact angle. It is the reason for the headliner design and the location of SRS air bags. I highly recommend that your agency contact Ford for specific recommendations on the mounts, but I suspect Ford will suggest the vertical mount between the seats or the secure drawer system for officer safety. The overhead racks compromise side air bag performance, likely leading to increased injury potential.

I understand that your agency leadership does not want the shotguns to be visible to the public, but your choice of vehicle and usage precludes that want unless the secure drawer system is chosen.

We run the dual rifle/scattergun vertical rack and it may be the Setina mentioned in post number 3 as it has the handcuff style locking ratchet for the patrol rifle.

I have the same set up in my Interceptor/Taurus and I am quite fond of it.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far. Would the increased headroom in the Explorer reduce the chance of injury from an overhead rack? We would not install these in the CVs due to the headroom issue.

Our agency still has a few Explorers on the road with overhead mounts and I hit my head every time I get in one. Granted, I'm 6'2" but there is very little clearance. I'd heed the comments above; it's a safety problem, even in the SUVs. We've been using dual vertical racks in all our vehicles since with good success.

Overhead mounts are OK if you don't have a cage. If you bias the mounting tube to the front of the rear passenger compartment so they are no longer "up front" I don't see any issues. If you're going to run a cage, then verticals make sense, especially with the SL series of Setina cages with the large offset to the rear. The only other option is a low angle mount on the passenger's side of the vehicle. They work great with 14" guns, not so much with 18 or 20" guns.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List