Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: UK Voting on Whether to Stay/Leave EU Today

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Two interesting articles:

The second on the US but that has parallels: The Persistence Of Washington Delusion
    That's a good piece of writing right there, I liked it.

As for the backlash of the Brexit, it sets the stage for a series of EUexits that are likely to result in political and social turmoil in Europe and into Central Asia. Make no mistake, the British leaving is the right move long-term and short term. But also make no mistake this move could result in serious European political discord that ends up with some Brussels Eurocrat assassinated on a trip to Sarajevo, when he is attempting to continue to force Bosnia into the EU especially in light of losing other key members. ---

World War III is afoot. Brexit continues the boil of the turmoil in Europe (begun by the Greeks and exacerbated by Spain and Portugal). Iran getting a nuclear deal along with ISIS has already primed the Middle East and Central Asia. Putin is ready to invade the Baltic states and start a new, but smaller, USSR. China is ready to kick the ass of anyone in the South China Sea including the Japanese and Australians for oil. The North Koreans are looking for an excuse, any excuse. And the United States is sitting around with our thumb up our ass waiting for someone to bomb Pearl Harbor.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-25-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    In the end, I think it'll all be back to normal in under a year. Who talks about Greece anymore anyway?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Well that didn't take more than a month from fear of Brexit to Hillary's cough and Trump's meeting with Pena Nieto.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

And as of right now, labor's projected to lose 51 seats while Boris is projected to gain 39. https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2019/results

I hope Corbin enjoys retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Two interesting articles:

First on the sociology of Brexit

The second on the US but that has parallels: The Persistence Of Washington Delusion
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

The promise was simple- a more interconnected world promised better economic prosperity. NAFTA, the EU- it was all sold on the basis we’d all be better off.

By and large this is true - of the people who made the laws. Everyone else put bluntly got fucked. Jobs disappeared, economies reorganized to reward a “race to the bottom” in quality while the folks who made the laws laughed all the way to the bank. A more interconnected world results -in practice- in a more top heavy and corrupt one. Deeper economic connections unfortunately don’t just streamline commerce- it streamlines political corruption a lot more. Politicians in connected economies don’t have to care about their working base when importing a cheaper option from elsewhere is always on the table.

I understand the economics to realize it relies on one thing: that the powers that are play by the rules. Clearly they don’t, and forcing economic separation may in fact be the only concrete check working class people have against the games of the elites who’ve mortgaged our national future in America (and appear to be doing the same in the U.K.).
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    And as of right now, labor's projected to lose 51 seats while Boris is projected to gain 39. https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2019/results

I hope Corbin enjoys retirement.
    Heck of a 3 year thread bump - But what does this mean for Brexit?

Boris says it'll happen before year's end. And now, it might just do that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Heck of a 3 year thread bump - But what does this mean for Brexit?
    Johnsons party slogan was "Get Brexit Done".

https://www.ft.com/content/2d0958da-...f-cc63de1d73f4
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

#RESIST

User Tag List