Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .264 USA (spin-off from FBI Selection Process thread)

6.8 SPC is interesting to me in that the original goal for its development (more punch, more range in an AR for .mil) has morphed into it being adopted by people who want to hunt deer/pig-sized game with an AR.

Historically US service rifle calibers are often commercially successful as hunting/target rounds, and 6.8 SPC seems to be slowly following that path even though it really did not serve long for .mil. Of course, 6.8 SPC is really not a long-range cartridge nor a target round, limited as it is by bullet selection/OAL constraints. But for hunting, it makes a fine 250-yard venison round.

I have a 6.8 upper set aside to use as a hunting rifle if I can ever find the time to do the load development.

Ive been interested in .264 USA since I first read about it. It'd be light and handy in one of the new "small-frame" 308 ARs. There should be room in the SR-25 magazine for the VLD .260 bullets. Slightly lighter than .260, shorter OAL, maybe more SBR friendly? It could be interesting. That said, .260 REM is hard to beat for a GP rifle with long range ability.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Didn't the Army look into a new cartridge ( a .276 cal if I recall) between WWI and WWII? I think the reason it was shelved was due to the massive stocks of 30/06 ammo on hand.
    Sort of. The 276 Pederson (7x51) was originally the chambering for the Garands competitor, the Pederson rifle. Designed by the same guy who designed the WWI conversion kit for turning the 1903 Springfield into a pistol caliber carbine.

The Pederson rifle had issues. It used a toggle like a Luger and required dry film lube on the rounds to function. The round had enough promise that Garland prototypes were made in it as well as 30-06.

Similar to today's situation, the 276 was good but it wasn't good enough to overcome a billion rounds of 30-06 in war reserve.

For actual civilian use, I think you guys are missing out on the 6.5G. I really can't say enough good things about it for hunting and LR precision shooting in a 15 size package. Until the military adopts something better, this works well for my needs.

Site Supporter
    I agree with SLG on the 6.5G. I have two ARs in 6.5G now both 20 inch - one set up as light as possible for hunting and one set up for long range shooting. I have a 6.8 with 14.5 pinned to 16 with AAC flash hider-suppressor mount for shorter range hunting but tend to shoot the 6.5s more.

Look up 6.5 caseless ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Look up 6.5 caseless ammo.
    Caseless ammo is a dead end, from the HK employee that was in charge of the G11.

The future, IF it ever comes, is lightweight cases of some sort. And the new generation rifles/MG and new round (with ballistics and caliber yet to be decided) are waiting for it, so the transition will truly be worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    For actual civilian use, I think you guys are missing out on the 6.5G. I really can't say enough good things about it for hunting and LR precision shooting in a 15 size package. Until the military adopts something better, this works well for my needs.
    I'v written this before, but I've purposely steered clear of the 6.5G due to lack of quality magazines, less than ideal cartridge shape for an autoloader, and bolt issues related to the reduced case head support due to fitting an AR bolt to the 6.5G.

The 6.8 only suffers from the latter problem due thanks to PRI and Barrett magazines and better cartridge shape. That said, I'd rather have a .260 Rem in an AR10 rifle.

The 6.5G is very intriguing, however, in one of the micro bolt actions. CZ should get off their butt and start selling one to the US market. 6.5G Ackley Improved, anyone?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'v written this before, but I've purposely steered clear of the 6.5G due to lack of quality magazines, less than ideal cartridge shape for an autoloader, and bolt issues related to the reduced case head support due to fitting an AR bolt to the 6.5G.

The 6.8 only suffers from the latter problem due thanks to PRI and Barrett magazines and better cartridge shape. That said, I'd rather have a .260 Rem in an AR10 rifle.

The 6.5G is very intriguing, however, in one of the micro bolt actions. CZ should get off their butt and start selling one to the US market. 6.5G Ackley Improved, anyone?
    Well, HOWA is selling their micro action bolt rifle in 6.5G and 7.62x39 this year. Lots of anticipation on the 6.5G forum. I recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor for a dedicated hunting rifle. I like what Hornady is offering on 6.5 Creedmoor ammo plus the Winchester and Prime loadings.
    Last edited by ranger; 06-26-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

In regards to the 6.5G in an AR, some of that is sorta true and some of that is sorta not true, but none of it really matters much for what the gun does well. It is not a fighting gun.

The 6.8 is the better 6.5 within 250 yards. If you want longer range or more precision, the 6.8 is not even in the discussion.

The micro actions are neat and I have really thought about getting one, but a 260 or 6.5 Creedmore can be almost as light, with much better ballistics.

User Tag List