Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

The PX4 Storm in 9mm is enjoying much celebrity currently. The .45 Storm has it’s own characteristics. In this thread, I would like to discuss the PX4 .40 full size. It is not as popular and deserves a closer look.

We’ve put many thousands of rounds on full size Storm .40s. Here are some observations:

Reliability? 100% reliability is our experience. Here are some reasons, in my opinion: Firstly, the cartridge is high pressure and will throw the slide back hard enough to eject well and setup reintroduction of the next round. Secondly, the harder hitting rounds require a stronger slide rebound spring which works well to strip off that top round and push it in.
    Note- The .40 needs this. With a 9mm you can chamber moving the slide forward more slowly, a .40 needs to slingshot forward harder (as does the .45).
    Thirdly, the recoil of the .40 is somewhat sharper than the 9mm. This causes the shooter to not slack off and have a loose grip. Though, we have done limp wrist tests and found them reliable still.

Wear & tear? We have found the .40s to not wear much on inside parts (compared to .45), slightly more than the 9mm.

Cleaning? We have found the .40 to get about 30% dirtier (per round) than a 9mm, ammo brands being equal.

I was not planning to make this thread about ballistics, but we could discuss that, if anyone is interested.

What has been your experience? What things would you like to discuss about the .40?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-09-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Do we need separate threads for every PX4 SKU? Can this not fit in one of the other ten?

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Do we need separate threads for every PX4 SKU? Can this not fit in one of the other ten?
    StraitR, While there is a certain logic to your comment, here's the reason: If one wanted to see if there was information on a certain caliber in another thread, well... one thread has 306 pages. That is a lot of time in searching for a specific inquiry. Additionally, if one thread is about a 9mm SKU then, it becomes rude to muddy it up with asking about a different caliber or model.

As with anything, if one likes the subject... more is better. If one does not like the subject (or pistol), more is annoying.

When you use the term “we” what exactly is the nature of that? Friends and family? Novices? Veteran USPSA shooters? LE?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    StraitR, While there is a certain logic to your comment, here's the reason: If one wanted to see if there was information on a certain caliber in another thread, well... one thread has 306 pages. That is a lot of time in searching for a specific inquiry. Additionally, if one thread is about a 9mm SKU then, it becomes rude to muddy it up with asking about a different caliber or model.

As with anything, if one likes the subject... more is better. If one does not like the subject (or pistol), more is annoying.

It's not that I dislike the subject, it's that there seems to be an abundance of threads on this subject with only slight variations. The issue with redundant or semi-redundant threads is that it pushes other topics and discussions back faster, where the threads die quickly unless someone goes looking. More often than not, they don't go looking (searching), but choose to start another thread and the problem is exacerbated. Rinse and repeat. What's left is lots and lots of short threads with very little information or discussion.

Each thread can be searched for content, so if you want to find specific information or key words, there's a tool for that.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.55.03 PM.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  83.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's not that I dislike the subject, it's that there seems to be an abundance of threads on this subject with only slight variations. The issue with redundant or semi-redundant threads is that it pushes other topics and discussions back faster, where the threads die quickly unless someone goes looking. More often than not, they don't go looking (searching), but choose to start another thread and the problem is exacerbated. Rinse and repeat. What's left is lots and lots of short threads with very little information or discussion.

Each thread can be searched for content, so if you want to find specific information or key words, there's a tool for that.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.55.03 PM.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  83.0 KB
    You make a good point. I am new to this Forum. I have tried the Search Thread mechanism, it can be a good tool, thanks. Sometimes nomenclature can vary, though.

Have you shared this concern with others that post multiple threads on the PX4? Perhaps we could all conglomerate into one thread. Then, these others will move down the list, out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    When you use the term “we” what exactly is the nature of that? Friends and family? Novices? Veteran USPSA shooters? LE?
    PNWTO, I'm glad you could join us in this thread. I have observed your well mannered, well informed input in other threads. It is evident that you are a good, patient strategist, as well!

I look forward to your input about the PX4 .40. Have you any experience with one?

Site Supporter
    PNWTO, I'm glad you could join us in this thread. I have observed your well mannered, well informed input in other threads. It is evident that you are a good, patient strategist, as well!

I look forward to your input about the PX4 .40. Have you any experience with one?
    I may be mistaken, but did you say the PX4 was your duty weapon? Are you LE?

I may be running different posts by different people together.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I may be mistaken, but did you say the PX4 was your duty weapon? Are you LE?

I may be running different posts by different people together.
    Glad you could join the thread! This thread is about the PX4 Storm full size .40 caliber. I am hoping to open a thread to discuss it. Do you have any experience with one? Have you ever owned one?

I have no idea what any of this means. If it sounds like I was prying then I will tell you I was not. I find your info credible and well-thought and was just wondering what the context of the observations were.

I do from a student who was attending Bill Rapier's class; not the biggest fan of .40 but it was nice shooting FS gun. Most of my experience with Beretta have been the abused items owned by Uncle Sam, but am really debating moving to the 92 or Px4 flavor.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List