Thread: snub reload

snub reload

I am currently in the market for a 3" no lock +P rated J-frame. If I can't find one soon, I'll settle for a 3" SP101. This will let me carry my 135gr GDs as a self-defense load.

In the meantime, I am looking for a good standard pressure .38 round with a tapered bullet profile to serve as reloads for my 642 and my 640. They are each loaded with WCs, but WCs don't reload as easily as I would like. I want something that will slide into the cylinder holes easier and faster, and I want standard pressure as I get faster and more accurate hits with my airweight, and my 640 is a pre-95 sample that is not +P rated.

All I can think of are the 110gr CD (I'm not a huge Hornady fan, and I generally prefer heavier rounds), the 125gr Nyclad HP (can't find any, and I question if they would even expand) or the 158gr SWC (may have too much penetration).

Any suggestions or advise? I'm leaning towards the SWC.
    Last edited by Moonshot; 06-21-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Perhaps the standard pressure Winchester 130 gr PDX1/Ranger Bonded as loaded in their Train & Defend line.
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/h...s/W38SPLD.aspx
    Velocity from a 4" vented test barrel is 900 fps. That is about 50 fps slower than the +P version, IIRC.

It should expand under ideal conditions, but all .38 Specials struggle when barriers are involved.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2hRwgwjK4
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 06-21-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Hornady Critical Defense and the Cor-Bon load using the Barnes copper bullet offer the easiest reload profile.

I use the Critical Defense for a reload. The PDX1 and Gold Dot are much harder to load under stress, in my opinion.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Clay; 06-21-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Which loader do you use? Some feed cartridges into the chambers easier than others. The Safariland comp 1 will feed full wadcutters, but take a little attention, the HKS its pretty difficult to load full wadcutters. The Safarilands also feed swc loads easier than the HKS do.

The Safariland comp 1s have tiny knobs to turn to load them, but once loaded are easier to feed the gun with.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Hornady Critical Defense and the Cor-Bon load using the Barnes copper bullet offer the easiest reload profile.
    Cor-Bon has been replacing the Barnes TAC-XP bullet with a proprietary projectile in their DPX line. Performance may not duplicate earlier test results.

That's what I heard. As I stated in another thread I wouldn't recommend Cor-Bon anyways, based on my own experiences.
    Is anyone else using the Barnes bullet in a .38 load?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    In my old snubs regulated for 158 grain ammo, I use the Hornady 158 grain non +P XTP hollow point ammo for reloads. They slip in nicely and don't suffer from mashed bullet noses like the 158 grain LHP rounds do.

I use wadcutters in the gun and HKS loaders with 110gr critical defense, or sometimes LSWCHPs if I've run out of one or the other. The critical defense is the easiest to load in my experience.

Which loader do you use? Some feed cartridges into the chambers easier than others. The Safariland comp 1 will feed full wadcutters, but take a little attention, the HKS its pretty difficult to load full wadcutters. The Safarilands also feed swc loads easier than the HKS do.
    I use speed strips or the HKS. I never considered a different loader, but I will now. Thanks.

User Tag List