Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a carbine class with reloads?

I have used my Reloads at three courses one of then was a SPR type precision class so I guess it equals two if you take that one away. The important thing is to crimp the bullet in the gun. If you do that I have not had an issue. When I did not crimp a bullet that is when I had the issues with my reloads in a magazine fed gun in .223.

Now I just run Wolf.

I don't know if I'd run a carbine class with homegrown reloads given the extra steps associated with reloading rifle cases. With that said, I shot Rogers entirely with reloads and probably would not have been able to buy enough factory ammo given that I shot a 45. I am pretty picky with QC and case gauge everything I crank out.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

As mentioned, the term "reload" is used in an all encompassing manner. I "reload" practice pistol ammo while I watch TV, ammo that I will be blasting off in situations where a malf will present an opportunity to practice clearance. I also "reload" ammo for F-class where all of the cases of a common head stamp are de-primed, trimmed, cleaned, and then weighed and segregated into groups where all cases are within 0.5 grains. Then all charges are weighed and individually trickled, and bullets seated with the same setup without disturbing the press. Both approaches yields "reloaded" ammo.

So perhaps taking a little extra care (no TV? ) on the rounds headed for class, with a proven selection of components, drop all into a case gage, confirm AOL, and run a couple hundred extra through the rifle(s) you are planning to take, might be a worthy approach?

I would not have taken my hand loads to that carbine class if I had not already shot several thousand to vet my process.

I did have an issue with some .45 loads at a pistol class once. I had been loading a low power cartridge for range use and did not notice any issues when shooting casually at the indoor range. I had a fairly high FTF/stovepipe rate at the class. It gave me an opportunity to practice clearing stovepipes but was a bit embarrassing. As it was a pistol diagnostics class and not a fast paced tactical kind of class, it did not slow the training.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Packing for a sleep-away class today. The only ammo I'll take is from a trusted source and part of a batch I've already used. Driving too far and investing too much to chance doing otherwise.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Many reputable instructors specifically prohibit use of reloads or steel cased ammo in their classes for these reasons.
    But do they? I have seen this statedbbefore on forums, but haven't seen an open enrollment course prohibit Wolf or other steel case ammo.

I'm sure some instructors somewhere prohibit reload (yes, instructor would need to define reloads), but I haven't seen it stated in the course descriptions of the more popular instructors' offerings. Maybe you are told after you commit the class and get further instructions?
    Last edited by redbone; 06-24-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redbone View Post
    But do they? I have seen this statedbbefore on forums, but haven't seen an open enrollment course prohibit Wolf or other steel case ammo.

I'm sure some instructors somewhere prohibit reload (yes, instructor would need to define reloads), but I haven't seen it stated in the course descriptions of the more popular instructors' offerings. Maybe you are told after you commit the class and get further instructions?
    There's a range in Texas that doesn't allow steel OR reloads and doesn't allow the shooters to keep their own brass AND charges a range fee. They may also require the shooters to police the brass as well for them.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

There are also ranges that require you to buy your ammo from the range itself, regardless of whether you were planning to shoot factory Ammo. But that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm gently challenging the assertion that many instructors don't allow steel cased ammo and reloads. I could be wrong, as I'm not the expert on open enrollment courses. But of the handful I've taken, it was never mentioned. I also don't recall seeing it in the dozens of courses descriptions I've read.
    Last edited by redbone; 06-24-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Most people don't pay attention to the suggestions and requirements put out by instructors.

If the instructors writes down "500 rounds factory FMJ" and the student shows up with 500 rounds of his personal reloads... what's the instructor going to do? Kick the guy out of class?

It's within their prerogative, but typically they're going to soldier on and deal with it and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by The Katar View Post
    Most people don't pay attention to the suggestions and requirements put out by instructors.

If the instructors writes down "500 rounds factory FMJ" and the student shows up with 500 rounds of his personal reloads... what's the instructor going to do? Kick the guy out of class?

It's within their prerogative, but typically they're going to soldier on and deal with it and hope for the best.
    Few people and places seem to hold students truly accountable for packing lists and pre-reqs. I understand the implications of sending someone home, but I wonder how many times you'd actually have to do it...
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List