Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a carbine class with reloads?

Shooting a carbine class with reloads?

Who here has done that or trains using reloads and bottlenecked cartridges in a gas driven rifle?
    #RESIST

When I did open enrollment I let that happen twice. Both times I was taught that most people can't reload for shit. I never allowed them again.

Investing that kind of money into a course, travel, etc., I'd personally take the plunge and fork out for commercial.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-21-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    I used to exclusively shoot my own reloads in my AR.

I don't buy other people's or company's reloads though.

I always had a factory ammo back up in case something got screwed up on my reloads and caused problems.

Nevermind
    Last edited by Luke; 06-21-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    In 5.56, I shoot a mix of reloads and factory. If I start shooting more matches, it's gonna turn very heavily to reloads so I can afford to shoot it enough.

In 6.8, it's almost exclusively reloads. Because money, and specific hunting bullets that are harder to find in loaded ammo.

I'm surprised they're even allowed, I sure as hell wouldn't allow them if I ran a class.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

My reloads are fine. Everyone else's are sketchy.

I have had more failures out of factory loaded .223 / 5.56 (4 Remington .223 failure to fire with a solid center primer hit, out of about 300 rounds in that lot) than out of my reloads. But I'm picky with my brass, full-length resize, measure and trim every case to length, measure every powder throw on a scale, only use 55gr FMJs seated to the cannelure, and I follow that up with a Lee factory crimp die. I throw out any brass with dents or loose primer pockets. I do this on a single stage RCBS press in batches of 100. I don't use a progressive and I don't go for speed.

I would shoot a class with my reloads. I would not advise someone else to shoot a class with theirs, I don't know what their process is like. Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe.
    Last edited by pdb; 06-21-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    When I did open enrollment I let that happen twice. Both times I was taught that most people can't reload for shit. I never allowed them again.

Investing that kind of money into a course, travel, etc., I'd personally take the plunge and fork out for commercial.

This.

Just avoid it.

EVERYONE thinks their reloads are great and EVERYONE says "this is the first time this ever happened" when stuff shits the bed.

What's the problem with doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Lowest common denominator trainees is why it's generally banned. Sean's post is gospel.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List