Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Rogers on a RDS on a fighting pistol

Bill Rogers on a RDS on a fighting pistol

This afternoon, I asked Bill if he had many people come thru school with RDS sights, how they did, and what he thought of them versus iron sights. He said he had three shooters with RDS sights in a class about a month back and that they finished 1,2 and 3 in the class. As to how they compare to iron sights, he said the comparison was similar to the difference between an Aimpoint and iron sights on a carbine, and there was no doubt in his mind that they are better. He is now working on new holsters for the Glock and M&P that protect the optic from damage and debris.

We are diminished
    It's worth noting that the main area in which MRDS are weak -- tracking for multiple fast shots on a target -- is not a skill that is particularly important at Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's worth noting that the main area in which MRDS are weak -- tracking for multiple fast shots on a target -- is not a skill that is particularly important at Rogers.
    Easy to solve, use a red dot with a man's gun, the .45, instead of that girly euro pellet you love so dearly.

(sarcasm people, sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
    Easy to solve, use a red dot with a man's gun, the .45, instead of that girly euro pellet you love so dearly.

(sarcasm people, sarcasm)
    Cause you only need one...........especially with a 1911.

Back on topic-I spent some time with my Glock 17 with an Aimpoint last week. So far, I like it. Definite learning curve. I hope to get it out again this week. I couldn't do any worse than I have been lately. Getting back into a regular practice routine with a serious training partner has been a bunch of humble pie, and realizing I have to work much harder as the body and eyes are getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I asked Bill this specific question today, and he said for a skilled shooter, with an efficient press out, he believes the RDS is an advantage there too. Specifically, he said he shoots better Bill drills with an RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I asked Bill this specific question today, and he said for a skilled shooter, with an efficient press out, he believes the RDS is an advantage there too. Specifically, he said he shoots better Bill drills with an RDS.
    Somebody needs to put an RDS-specific class, maybe Rogers can do it. I am by no means skilled, but I can't do a press out with an RDS. I can simulate the motion, but I can't see the dot until very late in presentation and since I can't see the dot, I can't initiate the trigger press etc. I've tried to press out conventionally and then switch from a front sight onto a dot, but it seems both counterproductive and slow. Seems to me that however you present - punch out of the holster or pressout-like, the reliance is still on index rather than visual control of the dot from beginning to the end of presentation.

I may go ahead and just cave right the heck in on this one. The FNP45 seems like it might be a quick launch into the technology, easier than getting a 1911 hacked up. Hrm.

Site Supporter
    I have very little time with an RDS, but the time I did have was eye opening. I found that the elevated muzzle press out, which essentially passes through a high ready, doesn't work well for an RDS. The dot is visible too late in the process. You have to try and keep the muzzle horizontal and raise it up in to your line of sight - then go toward the target (L shaped). I tried that horizontal press out with iron sights and hated it.
    Last edited by JV_; 11-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I have very little time with an RDS, but the time I did have was eye opening. I found that the elevated muzzle press out, which essentially passes through a high ready, doesn't work well for an RDS. The dot is visible too late in the process. You have to try and keep the muzzle horizontal and raise it up in to your line of sight - then go toward the target (L shaped). I tried that horizontal press out with iron sights and hated it.
    Same as my experience with one. Some day vision will probably force me that way but I can afford to pass on them for now.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Cause you only need one...........especially with a 1911.
    Dude, everybody knows that .45ACP is 38.5% more powerful when launched out of a 1911 than it is from a Glock, M&P, HK, or XD. Even with red dot sights.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List