Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best value knife sharpening system?

For keeping sharp, the sharpmaker is excellent and all that's needed.

If you want to regrind or set specific bevels, you will want to spend a lot of time with stones or a lot of dough on a Wicked Edge.

That said, every knife enthusiast should probably have a sharpmaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you really mean best value, then it is hard to beat the free sharpening by Spyderco for $5 return shipping that will cover up to four knives.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you really mean best value, then it is hard to beat the free sharpening by Spyderco for $5 return shipping that will cover up to four knives.
    I don't think they'll do my kitchen knives, however...

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Rich,

Do you recommend using an edge guide with the water stones? I bought some a few years ago but never could decided which guide to get and got frustrated. What do you recommend?
    I've never used an edge guide and I don't personally own any water stones. I have several Arkansas stones and diamond steels. I also have a Lansky system for re profiling an edge or cutting a new bevel, but it is too cumbersome in set up for daily maintenance , though it does a great job. The Sharp Maker is just the over all best value and convenience if you want a "Knife Sharpener" rather than a set of stones/steels.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

+1 for the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    one of the draw backs of the Sharpmaker (Spyderco) is the limited number of edge angles it can work and the dependence of the person holding the knife to be steady / consistent when moving the blade along the stones.
    You do have a point regarding the limited number of edge angles, unless you lay the stones flat on the base. (I do this when sharpening my straight razor - of course with that I just lay it flat on the stones, so there is no holding a certain angle involved. But you could use the stones in this way for traditional free hand sharpening, if you wanted to.) As for moving the blade along the stones steadily enough, well, I've never mastered the art of free hand sharpening. I just do not have it in me to keep the same edge consistently. But I have zero problems using the Sharpmaker. Something about holding the blade vertically just makes that stupid simple. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

If you are looking for a quick way to sharpen the existing edge on a blade the Work Sharp is damn good. I have one just so I can keep a good sharp edge on everything in the house from pocket knifes to kitchen knifes. But my knife sharpening needs are simple, I'm not changing geometry or anything like that.
    https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS...rds=work+sharp

I've got the Edge Pro and it works very well, but it's spendy, takes up more space, and is kind of a PITA to set up. I suppose if you had a dedicated area to keep it all the time it'd be great, but that's not my setup.

I think the Spyderco is a better value for those of us whose skills are....limited....with the traditional stones. I think the Sharpmaker is that 80% answer for the normal dude.

I have no experience with the Work Sharp but a very good friend of mine in Eastern Montana makes butchering into sort of a hobby. He has a business selling raw meat for dog food and is constantly butchering something: sheep, deer, horse, etc. He is HARD on his knives and thinks the Work Sharp is the heat.

Oh and for you guys who are able to blade well without guides just using stones, well I wish there were a middle finger emoji to throw up here for you.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

This works for me.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/EZLM...n-Brass-Handle

When new they are slightly coarse, but fast. With a little use they smooth out a little and put a little finer edge on things. They need to be cleaned of the metal particles after using. I keep a new one near my Randall, used one in the kitchen drawer, and a couple others in my vehicle and day packs.

They eventually wear out, but mine have lasted several years of regular use. When working doing carpentry, Id touch up my 4-5 regular carry knives several times a week, keeping them about shaving sharp in just a couple minutes total.

Good thread, following along.

What do you guys think of this gizmo? $9?

Lansky Blademedic:

"Diamon Tapered Rod-For Fast Reconditioning And Maintenance
    Tungsten Carbide-Three Or Four Strokes Will Restore Your Blade
    Ceramic Sharpening Rods-Polist To A Finished Edge In Three Or Four Strokes
    Serrated Knife Sharpener-Designed To Get Inside Even The Smallest Serration"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by RJ; 06-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List